Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

shortski
Site Admin

Re: Killington's Impending Infrastructure Collapse

Post by shortski »

Highway Star wrote:Bump, so I heard that Killington lost $1.5M hosting this recent World Cup event. :seeya
Factoring in the advertising value of the world wide publicity, news and print coverage, I think it was more than a wash.

You're welcome for the free business 101 class.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Could Killington take its head out of the FIS's ass for a few minutes to address its actual ski resort?

Endlessly modifying a 45 year old triple chair doesn't count.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bump for skibikeclimbguy.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I skied 2 days at Killington and I think there may have been 1 or 2 lift stoppages. I rode every chair lift and gondola except the Northbrook Quad.

Conversely I skied at Okemo on Sunday. Both of their shiny new bubble chairs stopped multiple times each time I rode them. The one high speed quad was down minutes while in line because there was a chair stuck in the top station. Numerous fixed grip chairs stopped while I was riding them, too.

Maybe I was just lucky, who knows. My point is, this sh*t happens elsewhere, too.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

One person's observation from Saturday Feb. 3. A day without big gusty winds and no icing conditions.

K1 was stop & go many times at the start, lifties were constantly resetting the door closure mechanisms with a long pole. No ice or winds involved, just stuff not working. Did not ride it again all day. Been noticing this all year. Obviously nothing getting fixed all year.

Skye Peak Express - stopped three times within 3 minutes. Did not ride it again. OL chair ran well.

15 minutes later - Needles Quad - stop & go multiple times around 10am. Used the Skyeship Stage 2 twice after that, somehow it kept running on our two laps.

Superstar ran well when I was there before lunch and after lunch.

Canyon Quad had no issues except for the 20 minute stoppage around 12:30. Did not ride it again, we were cold to the bone and had to get inside to thaw. Some electrical safety thing would not reset. No ice, no gusty winds.

Snowdon Triple - a bunch of foulups due to people not getting across the long loading ramp in time. Used to be a person at the loading ramp would clue the next group of people when to go. Really helped prevent foulups. Never see that anymore. But the triple does seem to run better this year in general

Snowdon Quad still reliably sucks. Did not ride it at all.

Last weekend at Snowdon Quad: Constant stoppages when the returning chairs were bouncing a bit right when they were to enter the wooden platform of the loading ramp area. The little bounce resulted in the chair touching the bamboo rod sticking out to stop the chair if someone was sitting on it returning down. That rod was a crooked piece of bamboo. Either it was placed too high, or the bamboo rod itself adds some unreliability since it is not level. I bet that nothing was fixed or improved regarding a crooked piece of bamboo stopping the chair. Been that way for years, just one of the many things that creates stops.

My only observations when visiting other mountains is that at the end of the day, we suddenly realize that we could not remember any stoppages or slowdowns. I'm sure the competition has their share if ice & wind stoppages. I can accept those. But every day at Killington brings stoppages and I'm sure the customers visiting for the occasional day wonder why lifts stop so much when the weather is nice.

Maybe I was unlucky on Saturday and those lifts ran fine the rest of the day. Can't be unlucky every weekend, every day I'm there.

Now rumors are floating around that the South Ridge chair is to be delayed. First new thing in years, but it won't happen.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

da Pimp wrote:One person's observation from Saturday Feb. 3. A day without big gusty winds and no icing conditions.

K1 was stop & go many times at the start, lifties were constantly resetting the door closure mechanisms with a long pole. No ice or winds involved, just stuff not working. Did not ride it again all day. Been noticing this all year. Obviously nothing getting fixed all year.

Skye Peak Express - stopped three times within 3 minutes. Did not ride it again. OL chair ran well.

15 minutes later - Needles Quad - stop & go multiple times around 10am. Used the Skyeship Stage 2 twice after that, somehow it kept running on our two laps.

Superstar ran well when I was there before lunch and after lunch.

Canyon Quad had no issues except for the 20 minute stoppage around 12:30. Did not ride it again, we were cold to the bone and had to get inside to thaw. Some electrical safety thing would not reset. No ice, no gusty winds.

Snowdon Triple - a bunch of foulups due to people not getting across the long loading ramp in time. Used to be a person at the loading ramp would clue the next group of people when to go. Really helped prevent foulups. Never see that anymore. But the triple does seem to run better this year in general

Snowdon Quad still reliably sucks. Did not ride it at all.

Last weekend at Snowdon Quad: Constant stoppages when the returning chairs were bouncing a bit right when they were to enter the wooden platform of the loading ramp area. The little bounce resulted in the chair touching the bamboo rod sticking out to stop the chair if someone was sitting on it returning down. That rod was a crooked piece of bamboo. Either it was placed too high, or the bamboo rod itself adds some unreliability since it is not level. I bet that nothing was fixed or improved regarding a crooked piece of bamboo stopping the chair. Been that way for years, just one of the many things that creates stops.

My only observations when visiting other mountains is that at the end of the day, we suddenly realize that we could not remember any stoppages or slowdowns. I'm sure the competition has their share if ice & wind stoppages. I can accept those. But every day at Killington brings stoppages and I'm sure the customers visiting for the occasional day wonder why lifts stop so much when the weather is nice.

Maybe I was unlucky on Saturday and those lifts ran fine the rest of the day. Can't be unlucky every weekend, every day I'm there.

Now rumors are floating around that the South Ridge chair is to be delayed. First new thing in years, but it won't happen.
I found the early part of the day to be quite windy as the wind-chill was a definite factor on many of my chairlift rides. Noticed a big difference from sun to shade... Wind also played havoc with the gondola cabins on Skyeship. The steady breeze caused cabin doors to bow open when loaded with half a dozen skis and snowboards. The gap between the cabin doors and the cabin exceeded an inch and a half on one ride, and over an inch on another. A small child could have fell through that opening! Not being the same cabin, it suggests the gondolas (or at least the moving parts) are in need of an overhaul. If there is that much play in the hardware, it should be reconditioned, rebuilt, or replaced. Biggest issue for me this weekend was the horrible corral organization. Stood in singles lines at multiple chairs watching 2somes and 3somes go up on quads. Long lines and poor efficiency. Lifty's need to be able to control the corrals and fill seats. Cost me at least 2 runs on Saturday. BOO!
ImageImageImageImage
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Did not realize until you mentioned it, but I cannot remember any lifties doing any corral work all weekend. Just the K1 loading point, where it seems to be regularly staffed all year with someone giving clear direction on how many singles might be needed per box. Skyeship Stage 2 has an attendant, keeps the cabins full there and maintains order between singles and groups.

Skyeburt quad had a ticket checker hitting tickets non-stop, don't think he could have given direction for quad formations as well. Superstar ticket checkers were getting 95% checked, but no line control. People were shuffling along and guessing right up to getting on the ramp.

Interesting observation at Snowshed recently: Adult line organizer and two ticket checkers were all at the apex where the quad lines and ski school line merge into one main line. Organizer told the two checkers (spanish heritage) that they should move farther up the lines, because they were causing a holdup and delay at the spot they were in. The result was that they looked at each other, and continued scanning ticket exactly where they were standing. Might not have understood enough english, or afraid to move from the spot where someone told them to stand at.

I have seen a good effort this year for merging lines and forming groups at the Snowdon quad. Of course, that comes a lot easier when the line moves so slow from all the stops & slowdowns.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

da Pimp wrote:Did not realize until you mentioned it, but I cannot remember any lifties doing any corral work all weekend. Just the K1 loading point, where it seems to be regularly staffed all year with someone giving clear direction on how many singles might be needed per box. Skyeship Stage 2 has an attendant, keeps the cabins full there and maintains order between singles and groups.

Skyeburt quad had a ticket checker hitting tickets non-stop, don't think he could have given direction for quad formations as well. Superstar ticket checkers were getting 95% checked, but no line control. People were shuffling along and guessing right up to getting on the ramp.

Interesting observation at Snowshed recently: Adult line organizer and two ticket checkers were all at the apex where the quad lines and ski school line merge into one main line. Organizer told the two checkers (spanish heritage) that they should move farther up the lines, because they were causing a holdup and delay at the spot they were in. The result was that they looked at each other, and continued scanning ticket exactly where they were standing. Might not have understood enough english, or afraid to move from the spot where someone told them to stand at.

I have seen a good effort this year for merging lines and forming groups at the Snowdon quad. Of course, that comes a lot easier when the line moves so slow from all the stops & slowdowns.
all over the hill, they stand there one hand drinking coffee/tea/cocoa one on the gun completely inept, chasing people who ski by into the loading chute, empty chairs going up while they harass the person for a pass that they should have scanned way back in the line...frustrating when they can't do their job properly, more so when their input results in less control over lines, queues, empty chairs etc...the focus can;t be one dimensional e.g. scan every ticket no matter the impact, run lines and queues, stare into space, drink cocoa etc...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

madhatter wrote:
da Pimp wrote:Did not realize until you mentioned it, but I cannot remember any lifties doing any corral work all weekend. Just the K1 loading point, where it seems to be regularly staffed all year with someone giving clear direction on how many singles might be needed per box. Skyeship Stage 2 has an attendant, keeps the cabins full there and maintains order between singles and groups.

all over the hill, they stand there one hand drinking coffee/tea/cocoa one on the gun completely inept, chasing people who ski by into the loading chute, empty chairs going up while they harass the person for a pass that they should have scanned way back in the line...frustrating when they can't do their job properly, more so when their input results in less control over lines, queues, empty chairs etc...the focus can;t be one dimensional e.g. scan every ticket no matter the impact, run lines and queues, stare into space, drink cocoa etc...
I hate to sound Presidential, but the workers they hire need to fully understand the job they are intended to perform. Many foreign employees in lift lines and lift shacks do not...and I fear communication and language barrier are a huge portion of that problem. It's a broken system that K needs to fix or abandon. If the employee doesn't have the knowledge or ability to manage customers in lift lines, they don't belong in that position. They are the employees Killington customers see the most; experiencing lift line employees by the dozens over the course of their ski days. Unfortunately many are the most inept workers Killington employs and the customer has to deal with them over and over and over again.
ImageImageImageImage
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Over at Pico on Sunday, maybe only 2 lift stoppages on the lower quad and I suspect at least one of those was to load one of the chars on for an adaptive skier / rider.
Don't Killington Pico
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

I hate to sound Presidential, but the workers they hire need to fully understand the job they are intended to perform. Many foreign employees in lift lines and lift shacks do not...and I fear communication and language barrier are a huge portion of that problem. It's a broken system that K needs to fix or abandon. If the employee doesn't have the knowledge or ability to manage customers in lift lines, they don't belong in that position. They are the employees Killington customers see the most; experiencing lift line employees by the dozens over the course of their ski days. Unfortunately many are the most inept workers Killington employs and the customer has to deal with them over and over and over again.
bingo...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

This is my pet peave - I can deal with the crappy lifts - but there's no excuse for bad coral management. They need to put someone in charge of K1, Rams, Supe, and Skye - that's 4 people at 200 bucks a day for 15 Saturdays maybe. DO YOUR JOB ! FIX IT. It's a $ 12,000 problem - they blow that making crappy snow on a 30 degree day.

On Saturday I wasn't paying attention and dropped my pole right as I was loading Superstar. We get 10 feet away from from the loading area and the lifty stops the frigging lift. We started laughing becuase right under the crossover trail there were 3 ski poles that nobody from the lift shack bothered picking up and handing them to the next chair.

Nobody's paying attention - it's annoying as hell.

And some of these people are paying $100 bucks a day for the privilege.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Gotta agree with all of the recent posts. They definitely need to fix the lift line management; there should be no empty chairs going up when there is a liftline.

My personal opinion is that this is caused by a) their awful scanning system, b) the loading configurations (e.g., that annoying 'cattle chute' on the Snowdon Quad, c) and the alternating corral systems at most lifts (except for the Rams Head lift).

Separately, and not sure if due to infrastructure or just plain stupidity and lack of concern for their guests, why was the Skyeship Stage II not running at opening bell yesterday? I get on that lift just after 9:00 on the best powder day of the season and have to get out at the mid-station and slog over to the Northbrook chair (additionally, why wasn't the NE chair running?).

So, on a great powder day, here I am after about 20 minutes at the top of Snowshed for my first run while others that got luckier with their lift selection were getting the goods.

Pure BS.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Stormchaser- your

"Lifty's need to be able to control the corrals and fill seats. Cost me at least 2 runs on Saturday. BOO![/quote] " cracked me up!

I've often wondered if I was the only one who felt that way...it doesn't happen to me anymore that I'm usually skiing midweek at Cannon instead of typically weekends at K, but even though I don't count vertical or amount of lifts I ride, when closing time rolled around and I'd be trying to catch one more lift, the chairs I didn't get on would be my last thought of the day...crappy way to end otherwise great days.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

hillbangin wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

This is my pet peave - I can deal with the crappy lifts - but there's no excuse for bad coral management. They need to put someone in charge of K1, Rams, Supe, and Skye - that's 4 people at 200 bucks a day for 15 Saturdays maybe. DO YOUR JOB ! FIX IT. It's a $ 12,000 problem - they blow that making crappy snow on a 30 degree day.

On Saturday I wasn't paying attention and dropped my pole right as I was loading Superstar. We get 10 feet away from from the loading area and the lifty stops the frigging lift. We started laughing becuase right under the crossover trail there were 3 ski poles that nobody from the lift shack bothered picking up and handing them to the next chair.

Nobody's paying attention - it's annoying as hell.

And some of these people are paying $100 bucks a day for the privilege.