Wednesday, Christmas week . . .

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Wednesday, Christmas week . . .

Post by MrsG »

Well, we dressed ok - only thing that sent us home were the crowds arriving just before noon, and the surface feeling scraped.

Bear good, no lines on either lift - upper Wildfire had few guns at beginning - rest was soft small bumps!! Bagged lower - way too crowded with people that belong at Rams?!?! Skyburst and Bear Claw similar with some scraping, but avoidable. Lower Dream Maker had a groomer width groomed, rest natural and fun, but dumped you at lower Skyburst.

Panic/Needles variable - nice at top, skid skiing to Needles with nice small bumps, but scrape in between. Cruise and Bitter/High Road probably ROTD along with lower Bitter and upper/middleSky. Lower Sky treacherous (we heard). Ended there - Snowshed - nice wind blown snow under the lift!

Will give tomorrow another try since what wore today worked :mrgreen:
brownman
Postinator

Re: Wednesday, Christmas week . . .

Post by brownman »

You're a trooper 8)
Below prepared you well. :wink:
https://www.wilmotmountain.com/about-wi ... her-report

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
SkiPutt
Slalom Racer

Post by SkiPutt »

Thanks for the report. Been wondering how the surface was holding up with the crowds. Lots of skiers North bound on Thruway now!
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

SkiPutt wrote:Thanks for the report. Been wondering how the surface was holding up with the crowds. Lots of skiers North bound on Thruway now!
I think the surface is holding up well, cold temps are keeping it firm and on the slower side. The biggest challenge today for us was visibility, or lack there of..... We will do a couple of hours again in the AM, so we can appreciate the Hot tub thaw afterwards.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Today was a tale of 3 surfaces - Dry man made if you could take the glaze, buttery packed powder in lots of places, and bullet proof base, just to remind you that you were still in Vermont. As opposed to, say, Saskatchewan. Temps were positive single digits with wind. Too much wind. Whereas tomorrow is Southern Yukon at -5 with even more wind.
Wildfire and OL under the guns. Squeaky snow cold. One thing there was very little of on the hill - crowds. Lodges well attended.

Get out your green wax. Extra cup of coffee. Diehard in the backpack, electric sox, gloves, facemask, boots, plus the electric hat.

If you're going to swallow the pool of polar air, you shouldn't have to endure wind as well. Oh to be in the center of the bubble.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Yup. Cold. Out at 10 for laps on needles woods and an open Vertigo from the top.

K1 bar for a warm up was longer than expected.

Laps on open Double diaper, but the canyon chair made us cold.

Peak lunch at 2ish. Saw Ty and ended the day with her on an open Anarchy.

Very nice with a not so bad rock garden.

Open Mike tonight at Liquid Art.

Maybe a zoner HH Friday at Highline Lodge?

Skiing Thursday should be interesting.
Where is Happy Hour ?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Did the backside off Coops, hopefully no one followed.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yup survived but never ventured past supe having started in bear first thing followed by needles & supe and repeating after lunch. the bear runs were beautifully groomed in the am. after lunch many areas of glaze reared it's ugly head. enjoyed lower wildfire under the guns. must have caught it before the swarm arrived. we were playing tour guide so stuck mainly to groomers but old supe remains a highlight with upper needles & lower vertigo less so. lower supe by mid-morn a skating rink.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Cold sun added a bit of light but came up a little short as a heat source. Below zero squeaky snow greeted the slow arriving holiday crowd. Riding in one the boxes were the favored lift choice of the day. Dark canyon runs soon had us heading down on the first Peak to Creek run of the year. Lapped a sunny Bear playing in growing snow piles on Wildfire. Outer Limits joined the party adding to rapidly growing trail count. Managed to snag a couple of stools for a Skyeship Jerk lunch break. Remaining powder stashes are getting chewed up as we await our next storm.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - It’s really not too bad out there because it’s a dry cold.
Attachments
Cold Sun.jpg
Cold Sun.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Helter Skelter.jpg
Helter Skelter.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Needles Base.jpg
Needles Base.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 843 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

*** PS

I can now identify skiadkt just by jaw and moustache.

Or maybe it's the calipers hanging off his coat.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Mister Moose wrote:*** PS

I can now identify skiadkt just by jaw and moustache.

Or maybe it's the calipers hanging off his coat.
I think we can identity him by his orange helmet.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I loved skiing Pipedream as my first run. Did laps at Bear because riding the OL quad I did not get cold. Those moguls on Wildfire kept me warm too. Dreammaker. as Mrs G posted, had one part groomed and the other part natural - I skied the natural as it was softer. Don't know why lower Dreammaker is not open yet. Rode the SP4 once and froze. Was pleasantly surprised to find upper Dreammaker and Thimble open. Thimble was better than Old Needles. Also surprised to find the Vertigo headwall open and it skied great as well as the rest of the trail. Skyhawk was also very nice on the right side. Skylark was pretty fast. Took a long break for lunch to thaw out. Met my guests at the peak for a drink and then joined Rusty to do a run down Anarchy. I thought it was pretty good until you got to the rock garden where you had to carefully find your way out. Never skied the rest of the mountain so someone else will have to report on that.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Skied Bear, Needles, and SS. Cold was managable, crowds non-existent. Hit some woods; noted that some streams weren't yet frozen. Whoops. Same applied to Lower Wildfire, which skied well under the guns. Lower Skyeburst was pretty well scraped off; glad to see they have guns on it now. ROTD might have been Vertigo headwall; it hasn't skied better in years. Old Supe was also exceptional. Lunch; went out again in the latter part of the afternoon; bit more crowded, bit more scraped off.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid Day Report: Cold, but generally bearable especially when looking at future forecast. Daily reports are not going to change much until we get a new dose of snow. Can't disagree with what's been posted so far.

ROTD: Same as day before: Thimble -> Needle's Eye; right had side is filled in very nicely all the way down.

Wildfire very good again TTB. On the very top section, guns were off and nice slightly moguled trail. Further on down, as it approaches the SPQ, heading left into the guns between Bear Claw and Wildfire was also very nice. Decent bump lines with some whale kickers and other features to negotiate on the bottom section.

Breakaway very good but a bit marbly as we've broken up the interior crust layer.

Conclusion still very good but getting firmer. Nice cover in general.

Twister Woods at Rams Head in good shape.

Old Supe -> Low Road still another good one.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!