toldem I'd be in :oops:
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: i'm a wuss

Post by hillbangin »

I wussed out Saturday.

One or 2 days of -20 at the top is ok for a half day. 7 days in a row was a bit much.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

nuttin' wrong w being smart...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Get layered and get moving. Spouse and I did some car camping in K over the last week... we had -20 one night according to the phone. if you are cold you aren’t layered properly or working hard enough. Shout out to LL Bean for the mummy bag, toasty in the deep negative temperatures. Coldest day was a great day to hike the park or for the older crowd throw the skins on.
Ski It If You Can!..
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

hillbangin wrote:I wussed out Saturday.

One or 2 days of -20 at the top is ok for a half day. 7 days in a row was a bit much.
sat out thursday & sunday. actually thought saturday was quite balmy. between all the additional layers and the cold (and fogging), find it tough to get loose.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Skiing is a winter sport and we do get a fair dose of cold at times. Snow stays nice with hardly enough traffic to pave the corduroy. We’ll hang out taking care of this burden.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

My 11 year old daughter stayed out all day all week with me last week and we rarely took the boxes because of the lines. We even took the slowdon lifts, which admittedly sucked. Our fingers and toes got cold once in a while so we went in to warm up every now and again. But we both had an awesome time together. We were dressed properly.

So yeah, if an 11 year old girl can do it and you can’t, you’re a wuss. Put your big panties on and ski like a girl!
specialp
Green Skidder

Post by specialp »

Have you all seen the forecast for a HIGH of -14 (at the base) with wind chill values exceeding -60 at the top on Saturday? I've been out in cold days, and even freezing wet days, but that is brutal. In fact there hasn't been a day like that in god knows how long. I'll check out the cams to see how many of you are there actually making runs rather than just getting your pass scanned and out. No matter how you prepare outside of a heated space suit since the temperature is closer to a day on Mars, you are gonna be cold. Would be a better day to do some XC or skinning as riding up in a cold box then ripping down in -20+ air isn't gonna be nice.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

specialp wrote:Have you all seen the forecast for a HIGH of -14 (at the base) with wind chill values exceeding -60 at the top on Saturday? I've been out in cold days, and even freezing wet days, but that is brutal. In fact there hasn't been a day like that in god knows how long. I'll check out the cams to see how many of you are there actually making runs rather than just getting your pass scanned and out. No matter how you prepare outside of a heated space suit since the temperature is closer to a day on Mars, you are gonna be cold. Would be a better day to do some XC or skinning as riding up in a cold box then ripping down in -20+ air isn't gonna be nice.
Guaranteed that forecast will moderate as the day approaches.

20 below is something most avid skiers have endured. And once you get off the windblown peak and into the shelter of nearby trees, the wind chill drops way off. Like any other aspect of skiing, you need the gear. Wise choices would not include trails that face into the wind.

But yes, it won't be crowded, and those that are out won't be chatting much.

Welcome to squeaky skiing.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I skied all the days I was up there. Some of those days I rode just gondolas and poma and did not ski all parts of the mountain like I usually do. When I got too cold I went in to warm up and then went back out for some runs until I got cold again. On the very cold days, I wore 6 layers under my jacket, used 2 hand warmers in each mitten and 2 hand warmers near my phone. I also wore two pair of hot chili bottoms and two pairs of thin Smartwool socks and boot gloves. I have a magnetic mask to protect my face.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

tyrolean_skier wrote:I skied all the days I was up there. Some of those days I rode just gondolas and poma and did not ski all parts of the mountain like I usually do. When I got too cold I went in to warm up and then went back out for some runs until I got cold again. On the very cold days, I wore 6 layers under my jacket, used 2 hand warmers in each mitten and 2 hand warmers near my phone. I also wore two pair of hot chili bottoms and two pairs of thin Smartwool socks and boot gloves. I have a magnetic mask to protect my face.
This is absolutely fascinating. My evening is now complete.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Woodsrider wrote:My 11 year old daughter stayed out all day all week with me last week and we rarely took the boxes because of the lines. We even took the slowdon lifts, which admittedly sucked. Our fingers and toes got cold once in a while so we went in to warm up every now and again. But we both had an awesome time together. We were dressed properly.

So yeah, if an 11 year old girl can do it and you can’t, you’re a wuss. Put your big panties on and ski like a girl!
You sir are a role model. This is the way I was raised at Cannon. This is the way I'm raising my 12 year old daughter at K. She never gets cold and is always safe. We take a few brakes when she wants. She was taught how to dress warm. More kids should be raised the right way instead of being in front of a screen. My daughter skis by choice in all conditions. Even on the days Id rather skip at this point. Bravo to you Woodsrider for helping to prevent the wussification of America. More parents should be like you. Nice work sir! :like :like
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Every person has a different tolerance level for things that affect us - ski weather, traffic jams, ignorance, hunger, politicians. We all have a breaking point for something at which we say "it's not worth it". I guess going way below zero plus wind chills would trigger a lot more breaking points versus some +2, +10 degree days. Especially if you factor in the cost of a lift ticket even if using a bulk rate or express card ticket. I have a pass, and skied every day last week but did not get the number of runs I would normally get because I went in once or twice a day to prevent frostbite issues. But I still had great ski days and enjoyed the nats a lot. Used new skis all week, did a lot of runs on Vertigo, Big Dipper, Conclusion, Snowdon and Rams Head woods and hit nothing but white. So for me it was worth the layering and riding box cars more often.

This weekend I will focus on the box cars a lot (if they are running) and stop in a lodge every few runs if I need to. A small price to pay for not doing any more frostbite damage. Too many bites in the past makes me more cautious but not afraid to go. With the fresh snow coming on Thursday there should be great runs to be made and I will get my share despite the cold.

I wonder how MLK weekend will be - this kind of nasty weather used to come on MLK weekend so often it was a given. Maybe the hill will get reasonable temps and be able to recoup some of the lost revenue from last week's quieter days.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

spent a weekend at the loaf new years 98-99 I believe...minus 30 at the herbert hotel in town, minus 80 wind chill at the loaf, no one w exposed skin was allowed on the lift...we ski;d all 3 days cuz we bought a 3 day ticket the day we got there....conditions mostly sucked too...

hardly into that kinda thing anymore...went out for a few afternoon hours this past week and it was not so bad, gear has improved a lot since then...STILL we saw a lot of people w very white noses...gotta be a lot of people w some degree of frostbite/frost burned skin today...

mostly I don't go out unless its above zero and relatively low wind...BUTT sometimes it's too long between days like that or the snow is just too good to pass up...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I've spent enough days skiing at -20 to -30 below. No need to do that anymore. Quality has more value than quantity.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe