sunday 2/10/2019 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: sunday 2/10/2019 report

Post by Kpdemello »

KingsFourMan wrote:I gave up skiing conditions like that years ago. We did it for decades but get no enjoyment out of it whatsover any more and would much rather be out in the woods on a sled rather than scratching around on sheets of ice like that. Hard pack on snowmobile trails is just fine, preferable in some ways. I watch the weather and after 30 plus years of doing so I've gotten pretty good at determining whether or not to ski on any given day.
Jeremy Jones says if you can't learn to love riding in all conditions, you should find a new sport. I say to each their own, but having the right tool for the job helps. When I got equipment designed specifically for icy conditions it really helped me learn to enjoy those conditions more so. If I could ski or ride on powder every day I certainly would choose that, but nature's a mother and I live in New England so I learn to love the snow and ice I get.

Of course if you'd rather be on a sled, have at it. I prefer smaller crowds when the conditions get icy.

I thought conditions on Sunday were surprisingly good considering the freeze thaw cycle during the week. The fan gun going on bunny buster produced some nice soft snow worthy of a repeat. Groomers like Upper East Fall, Chute, and Mouse Run were hard and fast but edgeable. I was on my hard snow board and taking it easy but I managed to eeke out a good time.
Last edited by Kpdemello on Feb 11th, '19, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid - Late Day Report: Better than Saturday !! A lot of stuff skied the same but the weather was a bit better and knew where to go after skiing Saturday.

ROTD: Peace Pipe Park. Really good TTB, especially later in the day and especially on the lower half in the sun. Pretty cool.

Cruise Control and Needle's Eye pretty good especially CC with the guns still on it. Skipped on lower Stitchline which appeared to be open.

Pipe Dream on South Ridge was also good, even on the right side "bumps".

East Fall fast, but skiable. Not much open on North Ridge but the upper Douple Dipper left side bumps were also skiable.

On Snowdon, North Star and Vagabond were again OK if you like "Good Eastern Skiing".. Highline was also very good for a fast cruiser.

All in all, a decent day with no lines and nice weather.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Also, please take a look at the post I put into NSR: Grateful Dead if you are looking for a dose of it Monday Night at the Clear River Tavern.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

da Pimp wrote:Day 6 of my Utah trip. Nothing but snow on top of snow every day. Snowbird, Alta, Powder, and today at Brighton where they have 25" in 48 hours and no one goes there, especially on a Monday. Never saw it like this. Really hoping that the New England snow forecast on Tuesday comes thru, I can't deal with coming back to scrape and skid conditions. Back to K for Friday thru Thru Tuesday. Reality will set in quick enough.
I have a trip planned to Snowbird in a few weeks and have been following the conditions reports. Seems like they have been getting so much snow this past week that half (or more!) of the mountain is shut down until they can do avalanche control. Lots of complaints on Facebook. Oh to have those problems!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
da Pimp wrote:Day 6 of my Utah trip. Nothing but snow on top of snow every day. Snowbird, Alta, Powder, and today at Brighton where they have 25" in 48 hours and no one goes there, especially on a Monday. Never saw it like this. Really hoping that the New England snow forecast on Tuesday comes thru, I can't deal with coming back to scrape and skid conditions. Back to K for Friday thru Thru Tuesday. Reality will set in quick enough.
I have a trip planned to Snowbird in a few weeks and have been following the conditions reports. Seems like they have been getting so much snow this past week that half (or more!) of the mountain is shut down until they can do avalanche control. Lots of complaints on Facebook. Oh to have those problems!
Last year when I was at Jackson Hole, I was never able to start skiing every day before 10 due to avalance control. However, I skied so much the rest of the day that I did not mind.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Nothing better than waking up to bombs going off!!
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
Last year when I was at Jackson Hole, I was never able to start skiing every day before 10 due to avalance control. However, I skied so much the rest of the day that I did not mind.
To be clear, the complaints I have been reading are that most of the mountain is closed for days, not just hours. They have been getting an incredible amount if snow out there.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

PinnacleJim wrote:While I have no intention of giving up on skiing VT, I do understand those that say they will. Each has its own vibe, but you can't argue about the snow and terrain in the Rockies. I intend to continue to enjoy both the East and West for what each offers as long as I can.
it's almost a different sport out west ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
HomeStretchFan
Green Skidder

Post by HomeStretchFan »

Definitely don't want to quit skiing out east, though if I could find a job out west... I probably would pick up and move.

I never realized how spoiled I was skiing out west until this first time skiing back east in 22 months. I've been skiing out east for years, tore my ACL on my first day out east on Christmas Eve 2017 on conditions like this (at Stowe), had surgery, and decided to get back at it with trips out west to avoid snow like we have out here.

Sunday was my first time trying to ski out east. I knew things would be hard, fast and icy... but I forgot just how much so.

I used to have no fear in these kinds of conditions, but after what happened, it's nothing but fear. I'm sure it'll get better over time, but damn, it sucks.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

RustyK wrote:Sunday later start after a sellar pickle happy and yoshi ending with Whiteout and many others.

Lots o groomers again. By the time I got over to OL, it looked beat up already.

Many runs on BDFR as it had the man made. Saw some peeps up at the peak for lunch.

Everyone just jinxing the next weather event this mid week. Might just have to come back for that after seeing the weekend forecast. :twisted:

Most fun I had without touching in a long time, your friends were cool...I have a funny picture of you...
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Powderputz
Bumper

Post by Powderputz »

In some places, it was pretty scary.

But.....on Cruise Control, it WAS lovely.

Please remember, it IS the EAST and we do GET R#*@, so if you give the resort THREE days after a rainy meltdown, they'll get the trails in pretty good shape.

More snow due Tues-Wed?