Tariff man strikes again

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Tariff man strikes again

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Looks like that Mexican tariff is already working:
Mexican President Andres Manuel López Obrador has pushed back at President Donald Trump's move to impose a blanket 5 percent tariff on all Mexican goods.

In a pointed letter released Thursday, López Obrador lashed out at Trump for what he described as the U.S. president's "turning the United States, overnight, from a country of brotherly love for immigrants from around the world, to a bolted space, where there's stigmatizing, mistreatment, abuse, persecution, and a denial of the right to justice to those who seek -- with sacrifice and hard work -- to live free from misery."
https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-p ... ter-tariff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like a man who's ready to talk turkey on immigration, no?

yep

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1T40I4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reeling from tariff threat, Mexico begins immigration talks in Washington
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:
Mexican President Andres Manuel López Obrador has pushed back at President Donald Trump's move to impose a blanket 5 percent tariff on all Mexican goods.

In a pointed letter released Thursday, López Obrador lashed out at Trump for what he described as the U.S. president's "turning the United States, overnight, from a country of brotherly love for immigrants from around the world, to a bolted space, where there's stigmatizing, mistreatment, abuse, persecution, and a denial of the right to justice to those who seek -- with sacrifice and hard work -- to live free from misery."
https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexican-p ... ter-tariff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yep

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1T40I4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Trump all they've ever done is talk, so what's new? They're talking again?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:

yep

According to Trump all they've ever done is talk, so what's new? They're talking again?
Tarriffs?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

It seems like they could talk or not talk forever.
Meoww.jpg
Meoww.jpg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 741 times
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:

yep

August 31, 2016
Donald Trump wrote:I've just landed having returned from a very important and special meeting with the President of Mexico, a man I like and respect very much. And a man who truly loves his country, Mexico.

And, by the way, just like I am a man who loves my country, the United States.

We agree on the importance of ending the illegal flow of drugs, cash, guns, and people across our border, and to put the cartels out of business.

We also discussed the great contributions of Mexican-American citizens to our two countries, my love for the people of Mexico, and the leadership and friendship between Mexico and the United States. It was a thoughtful and substantive conversation and it will go on for awhile. And, in the end we're all going to win. Both countries, we're all going to win.

This is the first of what I expect will be many, many conversations. And, in a Trump administration we're going to go about creating a new relationship between our two countries, but it's going to be a fair relationship. We want fairness.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Sounds like a good cover for Trump backing down on the tariff threat. It seemed like most of his own advisors thought he was acting like a lunatic for proposing such a stupid thing.

But you know now that I think about it, it's probably Trump doing the distraction thing again. Propose something ridiculous, create an uproar, galvanize supporters around an issue they seem irrationally passionate about, and thereby help turn the page on the recent Mueller statement.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Sounds like a good cover for Trump backing down on the tariff threat. It seemed like most of his own advisors thought he was acting like a lunatic for proposing such a stupid thing.

But you know now that I think about it, it's probably Trump doing the distraction thing again. Propose something ridiculous, create an uproar, galvanize supporters around an issue they seem irrationally passionate about, and thereby help turn the page on the recent Mueller statement.
yeah there must be something to it besides trying to deal w the border crisis...
mach es sehr schnell

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

I'll tell you one place I do agree with this Administration. The safe third country doctrine. Once these refugees leave the country they are in and make it to Mexico, how is it that they are not in a safe third country for asylum purposes? Why should the U.S. grant these asylum applications when the refugees are no longer in danger?

I mean, it might make sense to come to some agreement with Mexico about what to do with all these refugees, because I doubt it's in the interests of either country to have a huge refugee population stuck in Mexico without the resources to become productive citizens. But we should be able to do this in a more organized fashion than having swarms of people approach the border and request asylum.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

“Republican senators warned Trump administration officials Tuesday they were prepared to block the president’s effort to impose tariffs on Mexican imports”
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:“Republican senators warned Trump administration officials Tuesday they were prepared to block the president’s effort to impose tariffs on Mexican imports”
President Donald Trump on Tuesday warned Republicans lawmakers not to try and stop his new 5% tariff on Mexican imports,

oh no that can't be... :beat
mach es sehr schnell

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:“Republican senators warned Trump administration officials Tuesday they were prepared to block the president’s effort to impose tariffs on Mexican imports”
Probably because....
Attachments
FB_IMG_1559321180408.jpg
FB_IMG_1559321180408.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

“We’re holding a gun to our own heads,” said Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

GM has asked the government for an exemption to tariffs on parts made in Mexico for a Buick. The request was denied.

Now the Republicans are mad because many companies will have profits cut or worse, red ink. So now he's pissed off everyone. Even without the world coming over the boarder this makes good sense in a number of ways. We all know the stock markets are over heated and this policy will slow in the short term butt, make out supply lines stronger in the future

Inflation is always the biggest threat to a countries financial well being.

Suck it up buttercup.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:
Probably because....
you actually are this stupid...
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stocks, Yields, Dollar Jump After Grassley Says Tariff Deal With Mexico Coming Thursday

Grassley told reporters Mexican officials will offer a “long list of things” to avoid the duties in talks this week with their American counterparts, adding that he thinks a possible deal could be announced on Thursday night
mach es sehr schnell