Thursday Nov 7, 2019

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Thursday Nov 7, 2019

Post by rogman »

Looked at the thermometer at my house: 43 degrees. Dressed appropriately. Got to the base and there was a light snow falling, which at the peak was a raging blizzard. I paused inside to put on my balaclava; first time I needed it this year. Guns at the peak were shut down, as were the ones on Upper East Fall (still not open). I could hear (but not see) a few on GN below Rime, but they shutdown shortly after I arrived. Everything off. The blizzard continued. Mother Nature doesn't care about your wetbulb chart, she follows her own rules. The new snow (an optimistic inch) improved conditions over yesterday: the mountain skied well. Lines were non-existent until the end, when it was suddenly to the back of the corral. I bailed, having bagged my quota.
specialp
Green Skidder

Re: Thursday Nov 7, 2019

Post by specialp »

Off topic but didn't want to make a thread just for this: Last year we all had to go in to get our passes because of the new system, but if I purchased my pass for this year, will the card given last year be active day 1? Did you all have to go in the lodge for some reason? I remember with the old passes the previous year's was active day 1 if you signed the waiver.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

specialp wrote:Off topic but didn't want to make a thread just for this: Last year we all had to go in to get our passes because of the new system, but if I purchased my pass for this year, will the card given last year be active day 1? Did you all have to go in the lodge for some reason? I remember with the old passes the previous year's was active day 1 if you signed the waiver.
Sign a current release waiver. If you havent done so on line or in person. Your pass will be invaid. Always call prior to the first day to make sure your pass is valid. :Toast
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

specialp wrote:Off topic but didn't want to make a thread just for this: Last year we all had to go in to get our passes because of the new system, but if I purchased my pass for this year, will the card given last year be active day 1? Did you all have to go in the lodge for some reason? I remember with the old passes the previous year's was active day 1 if you signed the waiver.
Should be good to go if you signed waiver online. There is a ticket booth at stairs up to gondola, but if you are starting Saturday, I would re-check your online account;). Good luck!
Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Snowboardgod »

This afternoon was great! Snowing hard when I arrived for my 1-3 shift... couple inches down by the time I left. Ropes dropped on east fall and they were eyeing DD. Should be decent day tomorrow, great northern should be opening any minute... good cover already and won’t take much more.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I did the late shift as well 12-3. The new snow did improve things. As another person already said, Upper East Fall opened around 1:30. It was nice to be able to ski another trail but you did have to be careful skiing it as it had not been groomed and there is still water running. It snowed all the time I was there but it got more intense around 2:30. Hopefully a lot accumulated around the peak area. I also saw snowmakers dragging guns down Rime. Not sure where they were heading with them but maybe they were taking them to Great Northern.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

tyrolean_skier wrote: I also saw snowmakers dragging guns down Rime. Not sure where they were heading with them but maybe they were taking them to Great Northern.
So they aren't gonna drag them thru the woods for Powerline this year?
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

That was a short lived experiment, it'll fill in quickly with natural. Bigger fish to fry.