wednesday 2/12/2020 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

wednesday 2/12/2020 report

Post by skiadikt »

the sun made a much welcomed reappearance this morning. maybe an inch on the ground. race day, so opened with a couple quick shots down east fall. beautiful. highline skied well. in general things firmed up a bit after yesterday's hero snow. double dip good though now some ice in spots. nats of note included upper needles, skye hawk, old supe, escapade, breakaway & low road. all skied well with some crunch evident. old supe best of the lot. vertigo on the other hand needed to get skied in to break up the crust underneath. looks like more snow tonite.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: wednesday 2/12/2020 report

Post by da Pimp »

Not something I would normally recommend, but given that the natural trails have a lot of stiff crud layers and broken slabs, maybe some should be groomed for that once a year maintenance treatment that sometimes happens. Its going to be a high volume weekend coming up, time to show off the place. Anything groomed will quickly get bumped up, but will have some quality. Northstar, Vagabond, Fiddle, Vertigo, Downdraft, Upper Ridge Run?

Some say ski it as it is. Can't argue with that. Ask most customers, and I bet they would say do a groomer maintenance once a year. Now it that time.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

da Pimp wrote:Not something I would normally recommend, but given that the natural trails have a lot of stiff crud layers and broken slabs, maybe some should be groomed for that once a year maintenance treatment that sometimes happens. Its going to be a high volume weekend coming up, time to show off the place. Anything groomed will quickly get bumped up, but will have some quality. Northstar, Vagabond, Fiddle, Vertigo, Downdraft, Upper Ridge Run?

Some say ski it as it is. Can't argue with that. Ask most customers, and I bet they would say do a groomer maintenance once a year. Now it that time.
Agree, the only problem is freeing up some machine time since they are 100% open now. Today was a great day, sunshine, mild temps, light wind, and more like 2-3" of fresh snow.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Top hat cloud clung to very peaks of the mountain tops as bright sun drove away the gray of the past few days. Batch of Korey hugs to start off the day with the summit temperature sitting at 26 degrees. Excitement of ski bum Wednesday built as Highline is our trail for the day. Our 82 year old racer Jack went down rounding the first gate. Bouncing back onto his feet competed the course no problem. He is my current hero. Couple of inches powder of fresh felt amazing as it sprayed across my bare legs. Too bad most other skiers will never get to experience this thrill. Great day that had everyone out on the hill.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - Think I'll try going fast this time as going slow hasn't worked out.
Attachments
IMG_7039.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg (224.4 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
IMG_7018.jpg
IMG_7018.jpg (208.07 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Top hat cloud clung to very peaks of the mountain tops as bright sun drove away the gray of the past few days. Batch of Korey hugs to start off the day with the summit temperature sitting at 26 degrees. Excitement of ski bum Wednesday built as Highline is our trail for the day. Our 82 year old racer Jack went down rounding the first gate. Bouncing back onto his feet competed the course no problem. He is my current hero. Couple of inches powder of fresh felt amazing as it sprayed across my bare legs. Too bad most other skiers will never get to experience this thrill. Great day that had everyone out on the hill.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - Think I'll try going fast this time as going slow hasn't worked out.
Plus the rare Bubba and H siting at the peak. :Toast
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: A decent day on the hill. Nice to have the great visibility and 3" or so of new snow but as SA posted, things have firmed up. Enjoyed watching peeps struggle down Ovation that was so nice the day before.

ROTD: Undisclosed woods. Decent amount of untracked 4" in most places though it did get a bit crusty near the bottom.

Low Rider pretty good, but getting fast. Musta seen a good bit of traffic.

Royal Flush is still pretty good, and definitely benefited from the new snow this week. Same goes for Flume.

Light was interesting [wizard was "in"]. Lotsa places with downed or drooping limbs and fiarly large, steep sided bumps seemed to be the norm. Cover was good.

Still liking Stash and Stash woods. Can't really go wrong in there w.r.t. cover and decent snow conditions. And although I didn't do it today, Skye Peak chair liftline looked pretty good.

At Needle's Eye, the crust is still very prevalent [either broken up into bricks, or ready to break]. But, the new snow has again helped. Thimble was OK. Hard right Needle's Eye was pretty good on the first half, but not so good after the crossover. Lower Stitchline skiable but quite chunky.

Old Bitter headwall is really filled in, but getting a lot of traffic. A bit firm but good eastern skiing ! Low Road was really good.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!