Talk to me about Aspen / Snowmass

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Talk to me about Aspen / Snowmass

Post by Bubba »

machski wrote: May 30th, '21, 19:00
deadheadskier wrote: May 26th, '21, 18:52 If you are an advanced skier, Highlands is the best of the bunch by far.

Ajax skis much bigger than it's reported acreage, but the lift layout sucks

Snowmass is meh in my opinion. Decent low angle trees, but that's about it. The little bit of steep terrain they have is very short on vertical with crappy run outs and a bad lift layout to lap the good terrain.
Snowmass can be annoying with the lifts, bit there are some fun pockets tucked in all around to explore. Highlands by far is the cream for expert terrain in Aspen. If you hike the bowl and only want to Don t once, don't necessarily just drop the center of the bowl. Extreme boundary skier's right in the trees gets passed up a lot but holds the best snow the longest off the hike.
Snowmass is a blue and easier black skier’s paradise. There’s a reason it’s been known as “ego mountain”.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Seamus the Leprechan
Green Skidder

Post by Seamus the Leprechan »

Bubba wrote: May 30th, '21, 20:39
deadheadskier wrote: May 26th, '21, 18:52 If you are an advanced skier, Highlands is the best of the bunch by far.

Snowmass is meh in my opinion. Decent low angle trees, but that's about it. The little bit of steep terrain they have is very short on vertical with crappy run outs and a bad lift layout to lap the good terrain.
Snowmass can be annoying with the lifts, bit there are some fun pockets tucked in all around to explore. Highlands by far is the cream for expert terrain in Aspen. If you hike the bowl and only want to Don t once, don't necessarily just drop the center of the bowl. Extreme boundary skier's right in the trees gets passed up a lot but holds the best snow the longest off the hike.
Snowmass is a blue and easier black skier’s paradise. There’s a reason it’s been known as “ego mountain”.
Why do you have to bring race into this discussion? Doesn't seem appropriate.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Bubba wrote: May 30th, '21, 20:39

I fell on my first turn jumping into wind blown on the Hanging Valley Wall once. I double released and tumbled to the bottom. I fortunately didn’t hit anything on the way down. That’s a legitimate double black at Snowbird or Whistler. I like skiing Snowmass for the same reason I like skiing Deer Valley. Most of the customers never leave the groomers. The trees are mostly ignored and you’re not trading elbow shots with the power Nazis on a power day.