Ski Town Housing Market is Hot

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: Ski Town Housing Market is Hot

Post by ANGUS »

Sal rocks! Put a dollar up for the pooches.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Does census data reveal the movements of out-of-state residents?

https://vtdigger.org/2021/09/05/does-ce ... residents/
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Would have been nice if the journalist looked at voter registration changes and drivers license data.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

If you're living at a second home temporarily, I don't think you're supposed to be counted in the census. I know quite a few folks who have relocated to VT permanently.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Will be interesting to see how many of these covid refugees are still in VT a few years after this pandemic is over.

Any predictions on this?
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Once Covid passes, I would surmise that the novelty will wear off and the majority will find that they miss the city. Also, right now businesses are being very liberal with remote work, but I doubt that's going to be the case forever. Many already are requiring people to come back to the office, at least part time, and I suspect those working remotely will find it more difficult to advance in their careers.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Sep 8th, '21, 12:21 Once Covid passes, I would surmise that the novelty will wear off and the majority will find that they miss the city. Also, right now businesses are being very liberal with remote work, but I doubt that's going to be the case forever. Many already are requiring people to come back to the office, at least part time, and I suspect those working remotely will find it more difficult to advance in their careers.
I’m of the opposite opinion. I think Covid accelerated a trend toward remote work that we’d already been seeing. Companies that used to insist that remote work would hurt productivity have found that, in many ways, it improves it instead. Many people working remotely have found it a better lifestyle than commuting to an office every day. Companies will have to adjust to the demands of their workforce, not the other way around. Yes, there are people who will need (or want) to be in the office, some daily, others part time, but many will remain remote from here on.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Bubba wrote:
easyrider16 wrote: Sep 8th, '21, 12:21 Once Covid passes, I would surmise that the novelty will wear off and the majority will find that they miss the city. Also, right now businesses are being very liberal with remote work, but I doubt that's going to be the case forever. Many already are requiring people to come back to the office, at least part time, and I suspect those working remotely will find it more difficult to advance in their careers.
I’m of the opposite opinion. I think Covid accelerated a trend toward remote work that we’d already been seeing. Companies that used to insist that remote work would hurt productivity have found that, in many ways, it improves it instead. Many people working remotely have found it a better lifestyle than commuting to an office every day. Companies will have to adjust to the demands of their workforce, not the other way around. Yes, there are people who will need (or want) to be in the office, some daily, others part time, but many will remain remote from here on.
It also accelerated early retirement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

I was told by someone in the know that Hawk Mountain in Plymouth was 80% part timers and 20% full timers pre-pandemic and now it's 20% part timers and 80% full timers. I have to assume that Hawk North is similar.

Regardless of the remote work situation in the future, mud season and other factors associated with country life will likely take it's toll on at least some of the covid refugees after a few years of it. How many is anyone's guess.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

hillbangin wrote: Sep 8th, '21, 13:29
Bubba wrote:
It also accelerated early retirement.
Bingo.

Many people, who might have planned a retirement move out of the city and it's suburbs in 3,4, or 5 years, found themselves getting an unanticipated taste of it, all at the same time. A lot of them will make it permanent.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Kind of shocked at the stuff that is moving/pending.

A bunch of the 1.5+ stuff in the basin is pending.

Makes this one a steal...Lots to take care of...but what a party house.

https://www.skicountryrealestate.com/sa ... 88:4858950
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

It's not just the ski town housing market but housing as a whole.

America is short more than 5 million homes, and builders can’t make up the difference

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/14/america ... eningbrief

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Bubba wrote: Sep 14th, '21, 16:02 It's not just the ski town housing market but housing as a whole.

America is short more than 5 million homes, and builders can’t make up the difference

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/14/america ... eningbrief
With material shortages, high prices and a lack of tradesman along with difficult zoning regs does this surprise you? This started back in 2008 during the great recession when workers left the trades for greener pastures. All us old guys will be retiring soon and this could get worse.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Prestige Real Estate just released their 3rd Qtr newsletter summarizing the Killington market. The key take aways for me: 1) sales volume $ so far this year is more than the last 3 years combined, and 2) inventory is at an all time low (22 properties) with not a single condo available as all those listed are under contract.

This is just crazy.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Fromm WCAX

Vermont sees 15% increase in home building permits since 2019

https://www.wcax.com/2021/10/04/vermont ... 10_4_2021)

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald