Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 8th, '21, 07:39 Accoding to none other than Dan Crenshaw, Pirate of Congress, the most outspoken Trump supporters are often the least loyal to Trump's agenda:
...Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, an outspoken critic of Donald Trump, was actually one of the most loyal supporters of the then-President's agenda in 2017 and 2018, during the 115th Congress when Republicans held both the House and Senate majorities.

Then Crenshaw drops the hammer, noting that the House Freedom Caucus members were some of the least loyal to Trump's agenda. "All of them," Crenshaw insisted.

"What you hear so often is not true," Crenshaw warned the audience. "We have grifters in our midst... in the conservative movement. Lie after lie after lie."

So, is Crenshaw right?

FiveThirtyEight kept tabs on votes in support of Trump's agenda and positions for all four years of his presidency. Which makes it relatively easy to fact-check Crenshaw's claims.

In the 115th Congress, Kinzinger, that scourge of all Trumpists, voted in line with the Trump position 99% of the time. That put him in a tie for the 2nd most Trump-y voting record in the House over those two years.

And some of the least supportive members of the Trump agenda over that same time were, in fact, members of the Freedom Caucus. There was Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs, who backed the Trump position just 72.9% of the time. And fellow Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar, who was with Trump only 77.8% of the time. And Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert (80.4%). And Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz (81.1%). And Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks (83.7%). And South Carolina Rep. Ralph Norman (83.9%). And even Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan (85.1%).

(For his part, Crenshaw wasn't in the 115th Congress under GOP control. When he got elected and served in the back half of the Trump presidency in the House GOP minority, he voted with Trump 90.8% of the time, according to FiveThirtyEight.)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Republicans are eating each other, and this is just the beginning. If the Democrats had their sh!t together they would totally trounce Republicans in the next two election cycles. However, they're nearly as bad with their highly unpopular agenda of ridiculous spending, defunding police, and super-wokeness. We are in a bad spot, America.
Only to a point. Defunding police is not a Democrat position, rather it is the position of the extreme left wing of the Party. The ridiculous spending has already been scaled back, cut in half by the efforts of Manchin in particular, along with Sinema. They're taking the heat for those in more middle of the road states and Congressional districts who don't want to move too far one way or the other in public so as to avoid being primaried by the left. Manchin and Sinema want to stay as far right as possible within their own Party because their states lean further right than the usual Democrat strongholds. It's called politics and political positioning.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Biden is the one begging the leftist press for more positive coverage of his disastrous record so far

Pathetic
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Dec 8th, '21, 12:17 https://www.news10.com/news/national/ja ... t-meadows/
The documents that Meadows has already provided to the panel, Thompson wrote, include communications from around the time of the presidential election and before the insurrection and involve White House efforts to overturn Joe Biden’s election victory. One email outlines what Thompson characterized as a “direct and collateral attack” that would have involved appointing an alternate slate of electors.
Failed coup.
Mark Meadows PowerPoint deck:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210716135 ... -fraud.pdf
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Meadows Jan. 5 email indicated Guard on standby to ‘protect pro Trump people,’ investigators say

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/1 ... ump-524133
Mark Meadows indicated in a Jan. 5 email that the National Guard was on standby to “protect pro Trump people,” according to documents obtained by the House committee investigating the Capitol riot, which the panel described in a public filing Sunday night.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Another nothing burger for you pathetic lefties. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 99+ times, shame on stupid ass me.

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/pj-gla ... -democrats
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Dec 13th, '21, 12:08 Another nothing burger for you pathetic lefties. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 99+ times, shame on stupid ass me.

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/pj-gla ... -democrats
One of the more annoying things about politics today is when an investigation like this occurs, and nothing is found because one side successfully stonewalls or obstructs justice, some people seem to assume there was nothing to find. Whatever happened to, it's not the crime, it's the cover up?

The fact that multiple people are being charged with contempt for their refusal to testify should tell you something about this whole business. What is it exactly they are trying to hide? What possible national security interest is served by stonewalling a Congression investigation here?
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

How about the political prisoners being abused by this corrupt biased political committee and incarcerating like the German Nazi's jailed the jews???
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Bigjohnski wrote: Dec 13th, '21, 18:15 How about the political prisoners being abused by this corrupt biased political committee and incarcerating like the German Nazi's jailed the jews???
Yes, it's exactly like that - just ask any Jew who survived the Holocaust.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Coydog wrote: Dec 13th, '21, 19:29
Bigjohnski wrote: Dec 13th, '21, 18:15 How about the political prisoners being abused by this corrupt biased political committee and incarcerating like the German Nazi's jailed the jews???
We lost a beloved 100 club member this fall, who was a Holocaust survivor. Very sad start of life story. One of Father Bruro's kids. Shining example of making the most out the hand you are dealt. You will be missed Jack Z.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Dec 14th, '21, 07:26
Coydog wrote: Dec 13th, '21, 19:29
We lost a beloved 100 club member this fall, who was a Holocaust survivor. Very sad start of life story. One of Father Bruro's kids. Shining example of making the most out the hand you are dealt. You will be missed Jack Z.
Very sorry for your loss GIS. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Perhaps part of the disconnect between what's actually happening and what right-wingers believe is that their news sources just don't report facts that contradict the narrative:
Fox News did not bother to air Monday night's meeting of the House committee investigating the 1/6 attack. Neither did Newsmax or One America News. So right-wing TV audiences did not hear when Rep. Liz Cheney revealed that some of Fox's biggest stars pressed Mark Meadows for help during the siege of the Capitol.

"Mark, the president needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home," Laura Ingraham texted Meadows. "This is hurting all of us. He is destroying his legacy."

She knew. They all knew. They all knew the truth right away. But by the night of 1/6, Ingraham was spouting conspiracy theories about "ANTIFA" and excusing the peaceful "patriots" who, let's be clear, paraded into DC based on a lie she pushed over and over again. Fox's pro-Trump programming was partly to blame for the Big Lie, so when that lie led to violence, of course some of the hosts panicked and tried to put out the fire.

On Monday, Cheney read two other texts from Fox stars to Meadows from 1/6. One was from Brian Kilmeade: "Please, get him on TV. Destroying everything you have accomplished." The other was from Sean Hannity: "Can he make a statement, ask people to leave the Capitol?" Cheney didn't specify what time those texts were sent. But I was struck by Hannity's casual tone about the unfolding terror. At least Kilmeade said "please, get him on TV."

The 1/6 committee has thousands of other texts and emails. Cheney shared just a tiny sampling on Monday. But the tiny sampling is deeply embarrassing for Fox and the Murdochs. As Maggie Haberman said, this "undercuts efforts by everyone whose name she read who might say Jan. 6 wasn't that bad." It "wasn't that bad" has been one of Fox's dominant themes this year. This banner on "Don Lemon Tonight" captured it perfectly: "Fox hosts and Donald Trump Jr. knew exactly what was happening and now they pretend it didn't happen."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Trump and others in the right-wing camp have so successfully demonized media sources like CNN, Washington Post, and New York Times that these folks only get their news from right-wing sources, which aren't giving them the full picture.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 14th, '21, 08:34
Trump and others in the right-wing camp have so successfully demonized media sources like CNN, Washington Post, and New York Times that these folks only get their news from right-wing sources, which aren't giving them the full picture.
CNN, WP and NYT needed no help looking like biased fools.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-boss- ... nking-ship

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 99+ times, shame on stupid ass me.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Thanks for help making my point, I guess?

I'm not saying don't watch Fox or to ignore right-wing sources. I'm saying you should question *all* sources because they are *all* biased and they are *all* leaving out information that you can only get from the other side. If you automatically distrust any source because they are "liberal" or "conservative" you are doing something just as bad as automatically accepting everything a particular source says. Thus by your statements that CNN is a sinking ship and lumping them in with NYT and WaPo as dishonest, you are demonstrating the same level of ignorance as the people who believe every word in those sources.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

All the news channels care about is ratings and how much they can sell their commercial time for so they are going to ignore what their viewers don't want to see and push what they do. It isn't rocket science, they are all biased.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The gall some of these Fox folks...

To call Meadows and beg Trump to call off the insurrection and then going live just hours later saying 'it was all antifa' is beyond the pale.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Dec 14th, '21, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.