The state of Superstar 2022

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Coydog
Guru Poster

Re: The state of Superstar 2022

Post by Coydog »

Covering up the bald spot.

Shot seems to taken after Mr. Moose's and before Buckethead's.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

For a little context. May 22nd last year. Closed and close to toast.

By any standard, there is still a LOT of snow left on that trail today.
Attachments
Supe 05-22-21.JPG
Supe 05-22-21.JPG (95.28 KiB) Viewed 948 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Sure is, pretty darn deep for most of it.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

wow that is great perspective!
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
4-mile
Black Carver

Post by 4-mile »

All that snow they made and it was obvious from the very first pics of this thread that this section had way less depth than the rest of the slope. I wonder why they didn't go as deep here knowing it's the problem spot every year. There's more than enough clearance under the lift. Or at least have pushed a bunch in from the mound below earlier when it was cold.
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

4-mile wrote: May 26th, '22, 16:33 All that snow they made and it was obvious from the very first pics of this thread that this section had way less depth than the rest of the slope. I wonder why they didn't go as deep here knowing it's the problem spot every year. There's more than enough clearance under the lift. Or at least have pushed a bunch in from the mound below earlier when it was cold.
My guess is a combo of lift interference, and the fact that the pipes are far lookers right in that section, along tree line, so it would involve lots of hose to get guns out there.

Also, this is killington, if it were more feasible to that than make uphill piles and push them down, they would.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

Coydog wrote: May 26th, '22, 14:29 Covering up the bald spot.

Shot seems to taken after Mr. Moose's and before Buckethead's.
nice you-are-there perspective. and a better sense of scale than the webcam. (ie. that's an shitload of snow being pushed!)

as much as it once looked like the snow would stay elevated highway tall forever, we are in good shape this late in the month, and i'm super-stoked to still be skiing T2B on lift power.

may saturday's r*in fizzle!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

slatham wrote: May 26th, '22, 17:02
4-mile wrote: May 26th, '22, 16:33 All that snow they made and it was obvious from the very first pics of this thread that this section had way less depth than the rest of the slope. I wonder why they didn't go as deep here knowing it's the problem spot every year. There's more than enough clearance under the lift. Or at least have pushed a bunch in from the mound below earlier when it was cold.
My guess is a combo of lift interference, and the fact that the pipes are far lookers right in that section, along tree line, so it would involve lots of hose to get guns out there.

Also, this is killington, if it were more feasible to that than make uphill piles and push them down, they would.
Didn't Killington install snowmaking pipe on the east side of the trail on lower Preston's Pitch a number of years ago? Has that been removed or are they just not using it?
Last edited by Big Bob on May 27th, '22, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Big Bob wrote: May 26th, '22, 19:45

Didn't Killington install snowmaking pipe on the east side of the trail on lower Preston's Pitch a number of years ago? Has that been remover or are they just not using it
believe you're right. not sure why they haven't used them. maybe once or twice for WC.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bumper

Post by 180 »

skiadikt wrote: May 26th, '22, 20:16
Big Bob wrote: May 26th, '22, 19:45

Didn't Killington install snowmaking pipe on the east side of the trail on lower Preston's Pitch a number of years ago? Has that been remover or are they just not using it
believe you're right. not sure why they haven't used them. maybe once or twice for WC.
Never seen it used and those 2 pipes at Tower 3 always get in my way!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Folks be grateful that Killington is filling in gaps. In the past, I remember walking down the upper headwall on rocks to get to snow and then having to deal with muddy stuff on Preston's Pitch and having to carefully get around the famous S that forms every year. Also having to walk to the lift and carrying the ski in my lap as I went up. Be appreciative of the work they've done so you can have a better experience skiing this late in the season.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Regarding the pipes on skier's right near the bottom - they are in service and were last used 2 World Cup's ago. They also are used to spray water on the course. Wind conditions have to be perfect ie non-existent, and the equipment on that side gets buried by the equipment on the left side. There is a reason you seldom see pipes used on the side of the trail opposite prevailing winds. Highline is possible (at times - they charged one side this winter only to have to drain and charge the other due to shifting winds) only because of how protected it is. The bottom of Outer Limits has them skier's right, never once seen them used. The bottom of Devil's Fiddle has them skier's right, never once seen them used even when that trail saw snowmaking.

In regards to making more snow on the "S" Curve, that is where you need the most hose to reach and more hose equals less water pressure which equals less snow. They do the best that they can at the time and deal with pushing it down, it works.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Sorry I was not able to take a pic. But the view from Rte 89 north of Randolph, looking at Superstar from 30-40 miles away, is amazing!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bumper

Post by 180 »

tyrolean_skier wrote: May 26th, '22, 23:21 Folks be grateful that Killington is filling in gaps. In the past, I remember walking down the upper headwall on rocks to get to snow and then having to deal with muddy stuff on Preston's Pitch and having to carefully get around the famous S that forms every year. Also having to walk to the lift and carrying the ski in my lap as I went up. Be appreciative of the work they've done so you can have a better experience skiing this late in the season.
Don;t worry TY, that fun is coming up one day soon.....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

newpylong1 wrote: May 27th, '22, 08:22 Regarding the pipes on skier's right near the bottom - they are in service and were last used 2 World Cup's ago. They also are used to spray water on the course. Wind conditions have to be perfect ie non-existent, and the equipment on that side gets buried by the equipment on the left side. There is a reason you seldom see pipes used on the side of the trail opposite prevailing winds. Highline is possible (at times - they charged one side this winter only to have to drain and charge the other due to shifting winds) only because of how protected it is. The bottom of Outer Limits has them skier's right, never once seen them used. The bottom of Devil's Fiddle has them skier's right, never once seen them used even when that trail saw snowmaking.

In regards to making more snow on the "S" Curve, that is where you need the most hose to reach and more hose equals less water pressure which equals less snow. They do the best that they can at the time and deal with pushing it down, it works.
i remember them making snow on the right side of OL. was the year they built huge jumps at the bottom of the trail.
spoiled South American skiin' whore