How many days have you (*) 2020-202X season?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: How many days have you (*) 2020-202X season?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 21:33
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 20:03
wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 11:44
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 9th, '21, 11:08 Anyone still out there cycling? Wrapped up my first oly distance tri yesterday and had a strong ride ... 22 miles and 1147 ft in 68 minutes.
Been getting a lot of cycling here in suburban Boston - already done four >100 mile road rides, several 50 - 60 road rides, and looking forward to getting in some mixed terrain trail rides on my gravel bike. Biggest ride was 142 miles and 10,000 ft (Bedford, MA to Mt. Sunapee)
That’s a ride! Assume the 142 was on the road bike? What are you riding?

75 is my max this year. Probably won’t get in a century, but on plan for spring time.
If you can ride 75 you can ride a 100 - and doing 22 miles in 68 minutes with some climbing is a fast pace so you have speed and endurance.

Yes, I did the 142 mile ride on a road bike - I ride a lot - about 5000 miles a year. The 142 mile ride is known as the B2VT (usually from Bedford, MA to Okemo, VT). This year because of uncertainty in Vermont’s opening the organizers went to Sunapee. The road bike is a Scott Addict race geometry (all carbon fiber w/electronic shifting). It weighs about 15 lbs. My mixed terrain bike is a Scott Gravel frame set up with 38 mm gravel tires mounted tubeless. Really good on dirt road, double track, and some single track. Did a mixed terrain ride a few weeks back from Mt. Wachusett in MA out to the Quabbin reservoir and back (about 72 miles).
That's a beautiful bike. Assume you have Di2? I'm on an entry level aluminum road bike w/ Claris drivetrain, but my dreams are filled carbon and Di2 :lol: . Fun trying to keep up with the nicer bikes though! I'm at 3k on the year so far ... really my first full year with a road bike and just bought a direct drive trainer. I will probably just miss 5k on the year, we'll see.

B2VT looks like a really fun ride. Lots of turns, rolling hills, climbing, and very little straight/flat. I just moved to WNY and the roads straight and flat (boring)!
DES wrote: Aug 12th, '21, 07:40
wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 21:33 If you can ride 75 you can ride a 100
I'm impressed with the length of that ride also. But I like your attitude even more. (I've pedaled up Mt Sunapee, but never pedaled to it!)
There's a point where the length of the ride is more dependent on endurance / fueling versus strength. This might change on heavy climbing trips, but even 142 miles / 10k ft of climbing isn't terrible at ~750 ft every 10 miles. Don't get me wrong ... if you've never climbed much you might get destroyed :lol:

Personally, it's finding time to ride a century. 75 miles might take me 5 hours so adding another 90 mins or so is tough. I can start a ride at 330am on a weekday and be in work meetings by 9am with a 75 miles ride ... 100 mile ride not so much. Weekends are usually impossible for long rides with young kids.
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 12th, '21, 09:07
wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 21:33
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 20:03
wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 11:44
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 9th, '21, 11:08 Anyone still out there cycling? Wrapped up my first oly distance tri yesterday and had a strong ride ... 22 miles and 1147 ft in 68 minutes.
Been getting a lot of cycling here in suburban Boston - already done four >100 mile road rides, several 50 - 60 road rides, and looking forward to getting in some mixed terrain trail rides on my gravel bike. Biggest ride was 142 miles and 10,000 ft (Bedford, MA to Mt. Sunapee)
That’s a ride! Assume the 142 was on the road bike? What are you riding?

75 is my max this year. Probably won’t get in a century, but on plan for spring time.
If you can ride 75 you can ride a 100 - and doing 22 miles in 68 minutes with some climbing is a fast pace so you have speed and endurance.

Yes, I did the 142 mile ride on a road bike - I ride a lot - about 5000 miles a year. The 142 mile ride is known as the B2VT (usually from Bedford, MA to Okemo, VT). This year because of uncertainty in Vermont’s opening the organizers went to Sunapee. The road bike is a Scott Addict race geometry (all carbon fiber w/electronic shifting). It weighs about 15 lbs. My mixed terrain bike is a Scott Gravel frame set up with 38 mm gravel tires mounted tubeless. Really good on dirt road, double track, and some single track. Did a mixed terrain ride a few weeks back from Mt. Wachusett in MA out to the Quabbin reservoir and back (about 72 miles).
That's a beautiful bike. Assume you have Di2? I'm on an entry level aluminum road bike w/ Claris drivetrain, but my dreams are filled carbon and Di2 :lol: . Fun trying to keep up with the nicer bikes though! I'm at 3k on the year so far ... really my first full year with a road bike and just bought a direct drive trainer. I will probably just miss 5k on the year, we'll see.

B2VT looks like a really fun ride. Lots of turns, rolling hills, climbing, and very little straight/flat. I just moved to WNY and the roads straight and flat (boring)!
DES wrote: Aug 12th, '21, 07:40
wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 21:33 If you can ride 75 you can ride a 100
I'm impressed with the length of that ride also. But I like your attitude even more. (I've pedaled up Mt Sunapee, but never pedaled to it!)
There's a point where the length of the ride is more dependent on endurance / fueling versus strength. This might change on heavy climbing trips, but even 142 miles / 10k ft of climbing isn't terrible at ~750 ft every 10 miles. Don't get me wrong ... if you've never climbed much you might get destroyed :lol:

Personally, it's finding time to ride a century. 75 miles might take me 5 hours so adding another 90 mins or so is tough. I can start a ride at 330am on a weekday and be in work meetings by 9am with a 75 miles ride ... 100 mile ride not so much. Weekends are usually impossible for long rides with young kids.
Yes, it is Di2 on the road bike - really enjoy it. I am impressed if you can ride that pace on your bike because I am sure your wheel set is not the lightest either. When you get ready to upgrade - dedicate your existing bike to the trainer, and when you buy a new bike, invest in a good wheel set rather than pay extra for the Di2. Most frames these days make it easy to upgrade to Di2 from mechanical shifting and you are better off puttting the money into the wheels where you will notice the difference in the rolling mass. I understand what you are saying about riding on the weekends. I didn't start riding until my youngest daughter went off to college - so you are doing quite well with the riding if you have young kids and the riding builds great fitness for the winter sports we love.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

wannabeskibum wrote: Aug 12th, '21, 21:01Yes, it is Di2 on the road bike - really enjoy it. I am impressed if you can ride that pace on your bike because I am sure your wheel set is not the lightest either. When you get ready to upgrade - dedicate your existing bike to the trainer, and when you buy a new bike, invest in a good wheel set rather than pay extra for the Di2. Most frames these days make it easy to upgrade to Di2 from mechanical shifting and you are better off puttting the money into the wheels where you will notice the difference in the rolling mass. I understand what you are saying about riding on the weekends. I didn't start riding until my youngest daughter went off to college - so you are doing quite well with the riding if you have young kids and the riding builds great fitness for the winter sports we love.
Thanks. Would love to move up to a Giant TCR Advanced Pro (Ultegra Di2, Power meter, etc.), but it's a huge jump in $. Will have to see what the next year brings - doing Ironman Lake Placid in July so currently setting up the bike for tri/aero :lol:

My oldest is 8 so trying to get them into cycling. They're up to 6 mile rides so we're making progress!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Weather has warmed up so back on the road.

Photo taken just West of Kissing Bridge ski area.
FABF00D1-F991-4DF8-96C1-D1BAE0A6D441.jpeg
FABF00D1-F991-4DF8-96C1-D1BAE0A6D441.jpeg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

So for this 2021/2022 snow ski season.

Total is 85 days.

79 at Killington

6 at Tre Valles France

(2020/2021 total was 88)

Was a good season for me.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Just about 170

Right around 160 at K/P
2 -Sunday River
3-Stratton
3-Sugarbush
1-Loon
1-Jay
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

139. for whatever reason, seem to finish around the same every season. but the number doesn't matter, it was mostly quality. even on those thaw/freeze days, the mtn does a great job getting some skiable product out there. despite the seemingly reasonable snow total, maybe a little light on big pow days. the weather in may was off-the-hook. warm w sunshine and more sunshine. great trips to sugarloaf & big sky. only 4 1/2 months to go ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

DES wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 07:28
DES wrote: Apr 6th, '20, 18:21 It's relatively safe as long as you think of it like snowboarding or especially surfing, skateboarders sometimes take a little while getting the hang of it. (I fell a lot last summer mostly because a couple of my friends and I tried to think of impossible feats for me to attempt)
Not much biking for me, but out riding on my Carver skateboard/surfskate for hours each sunny day, I still love it and can't get enough. On Sunday I succeeded in doing one of the last feats that I had tried hundreds of times. I also haven't had any gigantic falls since March, and after a discussion with the Dept Chief I no longer get pulled-over by the police in York Beach. Still excited for ski season though.
It's been a while since I logged on to Kzone, happy to see this thread near the top again since Father's Day weekend I completed the last "impossible" feat with my Carver skateboard. Three years and over a thousand attempts after my daughter had gotten it for me (for anyone familiar with York Beach, I went uphill on Kendall Road from Short Sands towards Nubble Lighthouse without putting my foot down). Unfortunately I'm back to falling often as I've started sliding around dangerously like I did back in the 1970's as a teenager, at least these falls are much less catastrophic than when I first started on the Carver.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DES wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 07:00
DES wrote: Aug 11th, '21, 07:28
DES wrote: Apr 6th, '20, 18:21 It's relatively safe as long as you think of it like snowboarding or especially surfing, skateboarders sometimes take a little while getting the hang of it. (I fell a lot last summer mostly because a couple of my friends and I tried to think of impossible feats for me to attempt)
Not much biking for me, but out riding on my Carver skateboard/surfskate for hours each sunny day, I still love it and can't get enough. On Sunday I succeeded in doing one of the last feats that I had tried hundreds of times. I also haven't had any gigantic falls since March, and after a discussion with the Dept Chief I no longer get pulled-over by the police in York Beach. Still excited for ski season though.
It's been a while since I logged on to Kzone, happy to see this thread near the top again since Father's Day weekend I completed the last "impossible" feat with my Carver skateboard. Three years and over a thousand attempts after my daughter had gotten it for me (for anyone familiar with York Beach, I went uphill on Kendall Road from Short Sands towards Nubble Lighthouse without putting my foot down). Unfortunately I'm back to falling often as I've started sliding around dangerously like I did back in the 1970's as a teenager, at least these falls are much less catastrophic than when I first started on the Carver.
Congrats on your progress man, that’s great! Hope you’re able to get the falls under control!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Seeing your handle as the most recent poster, I assumed I'd see a beautiful picture here when I opened this thread! Thanks...one of the best parts of achieving the last item of the original list of 13 impossible things we thought of was that the owner of the house at the top of the 2nd to the last uphill portion was outside and saw me make the steepest section (he had watched me fail a lot prior) so he was cheering me on to succeed to the very top. But no, now with back to doing power-slides under or around obstacles, I'm going to always have blood, scabs, or bruises until I quit this or die, just like back when I was a boy.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DES wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 06:55Seeing your handle as the most recent poster, I assumed I'd see a beautiful picture here when I opened this thread!
Here you go! Not mine, but this is from Mirror Lake in Lake Placid. This was taken just before we lined up for the swim start of the Ironman race.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 521 times
DES wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 06:55Thanks...one of the best parts of achieving the last item of the original list of 13 impossible things we thought of was that the owner of the house at the top of the 2nd to the last uphill portion was outside and saw me make the steepest section (he had watched me fail a lot prior) so he was cheering me on to succeed to the very top. But no, now with back to doing power-slides under or around obstacles, I'm going to always have blood, scabs, or bruises until I quit this or die, just like back when I was a boy.
I think at this point, we need some video! Would be cool if the owner up top got video.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Nice picture, hope you did as well as you wanted to in the event. I'm not a big social media guy, I don't even have a cell phone, so I don't have any video or pictures of me ripping up the streets but I hear I'm posted a lot on some York Beach Facebook or Instagram sites but I've never looked.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Aug 1st, '22, 08:34
DES wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 06:55Seeing your handle as the most recent poster, I assumed I'd see a beautiful picture here when I opened this thread!
Here you go! Not mine, but this is from Mirror Lake in Lake Placid. This was taken just before we lined up for the swim start of the Ironman race.

Untitled.jpg
DES wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 06:55Thanks...one of the best parts of achieving the last item of the original list of 13 impossible things we thought of was that the owner of the house at the top of the 2nd to the last uphill portion was outside and saw me make the steepest section (he had watched me fail a lot prior) so he was cheering me on to succeed to the very top. But no, now with back to doing power-slides under or around obstacles, I'm going to always have blood, scabs, or bruises until I quit this or die, just like back when I was a boy.
I think at this point, we need some video! Would be cool if the owner up top got video.
Awesome pic. Love Lake Placid almost as much as K...
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Reno, my snowboarder friend that I ski with the most now has been itching to go to Lake Placid for the last few seasons (neither of us has been) so you know I'm going to PM you to let you know if we make plans to go there this season!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Go when The Slides are open. Here they as we pass the sign that lets you know you are now higher than Stratton.
Whiteface High Ground
Whiteface High Ground
IMG_1660.jpg (569.17 KiB) Viewed 311 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.