Closing Skyship

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Closing Skyship

Post by wtf021 »

Non sense topics like this should be reserved for the summer months.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

wtf021 wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 12:54 Non sense topics like this should be reserved for the summer months.
:like
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

During the last several years they've created a dedicated sign that they put up at the Bearly intersection that will warn you of the long lift lines at the bottom of the SkyeShip. Used enough to make one of those.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Remember the outrage when nyburg wanted to close skyeship midweek? Now we want to shut it permanently? How do you think the homeowners on lower GE would feel about that?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

daytripper wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 13:11 Remember the outrage when nyburg wanted to close skyeship midweek? Now we want to shut it permanently? How do you think the homeowners on lower GE would feel about that?
How do you think the Town Selectboard and Planning Commission would feel about that? As a result of Nyberg's attempt, they revisited the permits and made KSRP refile for their PUD.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 20:43 It'll never happen - butt.........

With the new village , the new parking lots, and the new development at Bear - I'm thinking the Skyship is going the way of the Northeast passage.

It was a great idea at the time - but it's time has passed.

They could run a HSQ from Rt 4 to Needles without all the headache. The weather down there does not warrant a box. It's out of the wind so it would never be on wind hold. And the box to the top of Sky Hawk adds nothing......

Just a thought...........

What's the cost difference between fixing the Skyship and replacing it with a high speed lift?
How about keep Stage 1 and replace Stage 2 with a six pack.

A six pack and the NEQ together would move people out of Needles on a busy day, way more efficiently than the current arrangement. And midweek I would take skiing right onto a six pack, over waiting for Stage 2, every time.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

What's so bad about the current setup, other than Skyeship needing an overhaul? If you replace stage 2 with a chair, then you lose the one seat ride from Route 4 to Skye Peak. That would be a lot less convenient for those coming up from the bottom.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

daytripper wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 09:09 If K closed skyeship they couldn't claim most vert in the East. I can't see that happening. And there are many more than 500 people using it. Closing lower skyeship would be an extremely foolish decision.
You beat me to it my friend !

K's vertical with the Skyeship is over 3,000'. If it were gone, if I'm not mistaken [cause I'm too lazy to look it up], Bush would be tops at about 2,650 [Mt. Ellen]. I think Stowe and/or Smuggs would be right up there with being more vert than K as well. Also, K would then be a LOT closer in advertised vert than many of the other >2,000' feet areas.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 16:50 What's so bad about the current setup, other than Skyeship needing an overhaul? If you replace stage 2 with a chair, then you lose the one seat ride from Route 4 to Skye Peak. That would be a lot less convenient for those coming up from the bottom.
Nothing at all, it's the right setup, the lift just needs to be fixed.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

snoloco wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 16:50 What's so bad about the current setup, other than Skyeship needing an overhaul? If you replace stage 2 with a chair, then you lose the one seat ride from Route 4 to Skye Peak. That would be a lot less convenient for those coming up from the bottom.
And a lot more convenient for those not skiing all the way to the bottom.
Waiting for stage 2, with full cars from stage 1 going by, is anything but convenient.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with them just fixing Skyeship. I was just remarking on his idea to replace Stage 1 with a chair. If I was going to replace either stage with a chair, it would be Stage 2.
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

agree the folks who ride up from the bottom should get a continuous ride from rt 4 to the top. not have to get on another lift. don't care whether it's gondi or some kind of chair.

as for the mid-station issues, they have to get better at sending up empty boxes. during my trip to rt 4, there was NO liftie monitoring the situation so every box had folks in it. fortunately it was empty today and had no prob the couple times i loaded at mid-station. and if they're not gonna do that, then the needles chair needs to run daily. think a liftie at the base is the least expensive option.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

When the K 1 was refurbused the terminals where not replaced. They just replace the wear parts, replace the drive and the electric motors along with the cabins.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Grmmtnhkr34
Green Skidder

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

skiadikt wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 18:26
agree the folks who ride up from the bottom should get a continuous ride from rt 4 to the top. not have to get on another lift. don't care whether it's gondi or some kind of chair.

as for the mid-station issues, they have to get better at sending up empty boxes. during my trip to rt 4, there was NO liftie monitoring the situation so every box had folks in it. fortunately it was empty today and had no prob the couple times i loaded at mid-station. and if they're not gonna do that, then the needles chair needs to run daily. think a liftie at the base is the least expensive option.
There's always a liftie there, whether they're doing their job... that's a different story.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I find that they always send up empty cabins on weekends. On weekdays, when there's less staff, they often forget. It's not really a problem in the afternoon since few people are riding stage 1 at that point.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

They send up plenty of empty cabins. Broken, but empty.

Waiting at the bottom while they send up an empty cabin, after two broken ones have just gone by, is no fun either.

Once NEQ is online, they should run it every day. It's the least they should do, with the Skyeship in such unreliable disrepair. One notable thing about the pandemic season was how much better it was on weekdays with that lift running.
2024 - Killington lied.