Former US President Bill Clinton has warned that global ...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Former US President Bill Clinton has warned that global ...

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Former US President Bill Clinton has warned that global warming presents a bigger long-term challenge to the world than international terrorism.

During an engagement in Glasgow, Mr Clinton said the problem could transform life on earth.

Mr Clinton said countries now had an opportunity to create high-calibre jobs in finding alternative energy sources.

He addressed 800 business people in Glasgow. Each table of 10 cost £5,000 for lunch with the former US leader.

Mr Clinton also used part of his speech to praise the power of the internet as a force for change.

The visit was partly brokered by former Rangers winger Brian Laudrup, who has played golf with Mr Clinton and is linked with a celebrity events company.

The 42nd US president - who left the White House in 2001 after two terms in office - was introduced by First Minister Jack McConnell.

Entrepreneur Tom Hunter, who donated £55m to the new Clinton-Hunter Development Initiative, was also present.

During his speech, Mr Clinton said that the most profound threat to the way of life in the UK and US was not terrorism but global warming.

He said: "There may be other terrorist attacks. Some of the attacks over the next 20 years may involve small-scale chemical, biological or nuclear materials but there has never been a nation destroyed by terrorism alone.

"It is not about to start now.

"But I think this climate change has the capacity to change the way all of us live on earth."

He later added that there were great opportunities in the development of clean energy sources.

In a response to a question from the chairman of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Sir Ken Collins, he said: "If I was 25 again and I was setting up a career in the private sector, not as a public servant, I would go into clean energy.

"I would be a billionaire before you could turn around."

Contaminated blood

Mr Clinton's visit provoked protests from some groups.

Andy Gunn, who contracted HIV and hepatitis from infected blood products, said that while Mr Clinton was governor of Arkansas, contaminated blood from prisons was exported to other countries.

He said: "They were making a lot of money. In fact, blood was worth more in weight than gold at the time.

"They knew the blood was infected with HIV and hepatitis and the prisoners were themselves dying of these conditions.

"It was actually illegal to use the blood in America and they secretly sent it up to Canada where it was turned into Factor VIII and punted around the globe."
Geez....thanks for your infinite wisdom Bill
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Re: Former US President Bill Clinton has warned that global

Post by DMC Freeride »

He's correct..

A massive drought can take out a nation faster then a hotel bombing..
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DMC Freeride wrote:He's correct..

And it took an Einstein to figure this out? Drought has killed millions, long before idiots figured we actually can change the world's climate. Maybe Butt Head, er I mean Clinton, should tell us something we don't know.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Dr. NO wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:He's correct..

And it took an Einstein to figure this out? Drought has killed millions, long before idiots figured we actually can change the world's climate. Maybe Butt Head, er I mean Clinton, should tell us something we don't know.
not everyone is as smart as you...

He's just putting things into perspective.. Something that was taken away from us by KKKarl Rove and Friends...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

It is officially a "big deal"

http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Sprite
I like wine.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

snowsprite wrote:It is officially a "big deal"

http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Sprite
Al Gore - making a comeback!!! On his own terms...
Anti-war and pro-environment...

Sounds good to me!!!
GO AL!!!!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

IMHO...just like GWB and friends used Terrorism as a platform to run on....Gore is using Global Warming as a platform. Both of which are "scare tactics" as liberals have labeled the "Terrorism" platform.

The difference is....more debate and unknowns surround global warming....where Terrorism is here now and it's real.

Similar to fahrenheit 9/11, I suspect the same amount of "lies" will exist in this movie similar to those that were present in F9/11.

Research exists on both sides of the field stating global warming is occuring and the other side states that it's the Earth's normal climactic cycles. Unfortunatly, the media runs with just the one side with no objectivity. Next thing I know I'll be talking about Global Warming and people will cite Gore's movie as fact rather than just a theory in a plethora of theories.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

So tell us what you have learned about global warming? What conclusions have you come to after looking into both sides of the issue extensively?
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: The difference is....more debate and unknowns surround global warming....where Terrorism is here now and it's real.

Seems like a lot of debate and unkowns surround terrorism too..
Like where is Osama? Why hasnt he been brought to justice??
Why did we confuse Iraq with terrorism??

Gore - REALLY belives that global warming is an issue... he and many other scientists.. he's ALWAYS been of that thought...

W was told that terrorism is an issue by KKKarl Rove as a tactic to win over the american public..... And ya'll TOTALLY bouth into it...
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Similar to fahrenheit 9/11, I suspect the same amount of "lies" will exist in this movie similar to those that were present in F9/11.
Scientific fact is a lot different then making W look like a total idiot because he was too busy reading a book the respond to the 911 attacks or chasing down Senators and asking if their kids are going o the war they support...

You seem to have this thing nailed before you know anything about it...

Typical...
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Cityskier wrote:So tell us what you have learned about global warming? What conclusions have you come to after looking into both sides of the issue extensively?
I think he's jibberjabbing...
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

DMC Freeride wrote:
Cityskier wrote:So tell us what you have learned about global warming? What conclusions have you come to after looking into both sides of the issue extensively?
no doubt.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Cityskier wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
no doubt.
I'm going to stand with Al Gore on the environemt..
I've been doing some reading on it - and want to see the movie..

I think Gore would make a great president.. And i don't give a flying F what the neo-con(ed) people say...

I support his strong environemental policies
His opposing the war...
His support of abortin rights
and his free trade policies too...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Very little. I've simply entertained both views and acknowledged that there are several variables that can account for global warming or climactic change. I feel many people think Global Warming is here and we're causing it period.
DMC wrote:Seems like a lot of debate and unkowns surround terrorism too..
Like where is Osama? Why hasnt he been brought to justice??
Why did we confuse Iraq with terrorism??
Terrorism is a tactic several extremist used to get their point across. Osama is simply one man in a sea of thousands of terrorists. Terrorism is here and that's undisputed.
DMC wrote:Scientific fact is a lot different then making W look like a total idiot because he was too busy reading a book the respond to the 911 attacks or chasing down Senators and asking if their kids are going o the war they support...

You seem to have this thing nailed before you know anything about it...
Scientific fact? Many of these facts are disputed by climatologists respectively on both sides of the fence. I think humans being the direct cause of global warming is open for debate (still). It's certainly not a yes/no issue as you've seem to have made it.

I don't have anything nailed. I'm simply acknowledging that there are several different views on this topic and I think the movie does an injustice to the American public by neglecting to acknowledge that Gore's movie is a theory amongst thousands of theories. Of course I haven't seen it, but with Gore's track record I'm making an educated guess that he doesn't state his movie is simply a "theory" that is disputed amongst scientist while other scientists support it.
DMC wrote:I'm going to stand with Al Gore on the environemt..
I've been doing some reading on it - and want to see the movie..

I think Gore would make a great president.. And i don't give a flying F what the neo-con(ed) people say...

I support his strong environemental policies
His opposing the war...
His support of abortin rights
and his free trade policies too...
I'm going to see the movie too and even if it is just a theory, anything to get us off foreign oil is a plus in my book....even if i do have questions about it or disagree whole heartedly.

Maybe he would make a great president. Although his lack of self control would make me question his leadership skills, but everyone has their flaws.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Maybe he would make a great president. Although his lack of self control would make me question his leadership skills, but everyone has their flaws.
Lack of self control?!?!?!?!?!

Where the fukc did that come from??!?!?!