This is POWDRs first real test

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

This is POWDRs first real test

Post by BoozeTan »

So far this season mother nature has been very kind to our new overlords. With the January thaw in full effect its time to see just what POWDR will do with the worlds most extensive snowmaking system. How will they recover from this thaw? Will they fire up the guns and resurface everything or are they just going to keep to what ever the plan was originally and let the season go as it will?
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

I'm hoping for for a full recovery, I'll be up Thu-Sun
and I am hoping they crank the guns up big time!
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

RedRider wrote:I'm hoping for for a full recovery, I'll be up Thu-Sun
and I am hoping they crank the guns up big time!
They have no choice but to crank up the guns to full capacity. I'm curious where they will resurface. ASC would be doing Great Northern, Rams Head, and Snowshed as their top priority. No telling how the new management will behave.

I brought my gear home. I'm going to watch the weather and snow reports carefully this week. I may very well end up in Maine if Killington is south of the changeover line on the Thursday night/Friday morning storm.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Maybe they'll go back to getting the expert only stuff resurfaced first...
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
gpetrics
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by gpetrics »

SkiDork wrote:Maybe they'll go back to getting the expert only stuff resurfaced first...
I mean, truth be told you can groom the bejeezuz out of a low angle/beginner slope that has melted & refroze, and none of the standard users will know the difference. OTOH, there is nothing you can do for a steep/expert slope to recover from a meltdown but put more snow on it either from mother nature, or snow guns....

I also agree that they blew too early on unfrozen ground way-back-when. They have alot of snow sitting on ground that is still at or near late october temperatures.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

I hiked around on the mountain at the end of October and early November, before, during, and after they were making snow, and the ground was pretty well frozen up, depending on the day... Nothing deep, but it was in the teens and 20's during the nights, which quickly froze any slowly running, or standing water on the mountain, and the ground on the mountain was pretty solid on some days.
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

skiingsnow wrote:I hiked around on the mountain at the end of October and early November, before, during, and after they were making snow, and the ground was pretty well frozen up, depending on the day... Nothing deep, but it was in the teens and 20's during the nights, which quickly froze any slowly running, or standing water on the mountain, and the ground on the mountain was pretty solid on some days.
Were you posing as a Civil Engineer?
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

the ground was well frozen till this thaw. its the middle of january, not late october...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Gunner
Green Skidder

Post by Gunner »

skiingsnow wrote:I hiked around on the mountain at the end of October and early November, before, during, and after they were making snow, and the ground was pretty well frozen up, depending on the day... Nothing deep, but it was in the teens and 20's during the nights, which quickly froze any slowly running, or standing water on the mountain, and the ground on the mountain was pretty solid on some days.
Thats a lot of hiking. What did you use to take your measurements? Was it just a visual inspection? Just surprised that you did not post a photo layout for the early season frozen tundra.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Gunner wrote:
Thats a lot of hiking. What did you use to take your measurements? Was it just a visual inspection? Just surprised that you did not post a photo layout for the early season frozen tundra.
Just a visual inspection.

I bought my camera on Nov 15, the day I got my license back... Long story... But anyway, I took several trips up to the peak to look at everything going on and to watch them make snow, and to watch people ski. Took several other shorter expeditions. My knee was still on the fritz, another long story, but anyway, it was good enough to walk on at that point but I wasn't willing to ski just yet.

I just know temps by my car thermometer, and the forecasted temps on the mountain... One day it was 48* I believe at K1 Base, and they will still making snow up top!!!! Its much colder up there then the bottom. One day I was walking up an icy Mouse Trap in the shade, and frozen waters/ground of Racers Edge, Lower Ridge Run, Great Northern, to Heavenly Traverse and then Upper Ridge Run on the way down, which had a lof of ice on the entire length of it too. And that day too was quite warm at the bottom, But even Mouse Trap was icy at that elevation in the shade.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

skiingsnow wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Just a visual inspection.

I bought my camera on Nov 15, the day I got my license back... Long story... But anyway, I took several trips up to the peak to look at everything going on and to watch them make snow, and to watch people ski. Took several other shorter expeditions. My knee was still on the fritz, another long story, but anyway, it was good enough to walk on at that point but I wasn't willing to ski just yet.

I just know temps by my car thermometer, and the forecasted temps on the mountain... One day it was 48* I believe at K1 Base, and they will still making snow up top!!!! Its much colder up there then the bottom. One day I was walking up an icy Mouse Trap in the shade, and frozen waters/ground of Racers Edge, Lower Ridge Run, Great Northern, to Heavenly Traverse and then Upper Ridge Run on the way down, which had a lof of ice on the entire length of it too. And that day too was quite warm at the bottom, But even Mouse Trap was icy at that elevation in the shade.
Are all of your ridiculously "Baghdad Bob"-like over-the-top pro-Killington posts in exchange for Killington's decision not to issue a restraining order against you?
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

JerseyGuy wrote:
Are all of your ridiculously "Baghdad Bob"-like over-the-top pro-Killington posts in exchange for Killington's decision not to issue a restraining order against you?
HUH? I dont follow. Why would Killington want to issue a restraining order against a random skier, biker, hiker of their mountain?
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

skiingsnow wrote:
JerseyGuy wrote:
HUH? I dont follow. Why would Killington want to issue a restraining order against a random skier, biker, hiker of their mountain?
Uh... there's a difference between "I really like you" and "I really like you so much that I have a wall-sized poster of you in my attic surrounded by candles and incense and I sniff a surreptitiously-obtained lock of your hair before pleasuring myself every night", know what I mean?
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

JerseyGuy wrote:
skiingsnow wrote: HUH? I dont follow. Why would Killington want to issue a restraining order against a random skier, biker, hiker of their mountain?
Uh... there's a difference between "I really like you" and "I really like you so much that I have a wall-sized poster of you in my attic surrounded by candles and incense and I sniff a surreptitiously-obtained lock of your hair before pleasuring myself every night", know what I mean?
Sorry you feel that way about me, but your terribly mistaken. . . When its good, I will tell you its good. When its bad, I will tell you its bad. You took the time one day to make a little "best of Skiingsnow" thingy one day, well, you could have done just the same with negative comments I've made this season.

I know that the mountain sucks right now, hence why I haven't been skiing since Friday. r*in, warm, more r*in, no snowmaking, loss of half the mountain, has made me decide to stay home. Cus the skiing at Killington sucks! But people were able to ski. More then you could say about Sugarbush today, they didn't even attempt to keep anything open what-so-ever for their customers. Every single lift there cant be out in the severe winds, but they didn't care they just shut it all down with complete disregard for their customers.

So anywho , perhaps I will go skiing tomorrow and get some pics of the mountain, before it is put back together piece by piece, by Killington and Powdr, I mean powder.
shizzle
Bumper

Post by shizzle »

Hoses have been attached to the guns on OL and around the mountain just waiting for temps to drop. any making of the snow last night?

web cams showing same stuff as last couple of days.