Sugarbush, 4 26 08 (Warning: Lots of photos to download)

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Sugarbush, 4 26 08 (Warning: Lots of photos to download)

Post by Mister Moose »

Saturday, April 26th at Sugarbush

Well, in case you haven’t heard, it seems I printed up a few T-shirts and had some fun up at Sugarbush.

We got there at 9:15, met up with an orange car dweller, and donned our shirts. Operations, parking shuttle, and other folks said hello. The mountain photographer caught us as we lathered on the sunblock.

Saw these – grass skis. www.grasski.com didn’t get a chance to see then in operation, but apparently they work:

The day starts out overcast, and we get ready to go ski.

SBF and RustyK show up. The back of Mrs G’s head gets in a lot of shots today. We hit a few trails and discover the bump runs are serious and the two intermediate runs are flat with heaping helpings of mashed potatoes. Win finds us on the second run and gives us all vouchers for next year. Geoff and I do Steins and have our egos handed to us. All day long people are smiling and waving at us.

We gather at 1 for some photos. At first it’s like herding cats, but soon everyone gets the message and we pile onto the rocks. The first round of photos is just us on the wall, but we call Win over, tell him to put his shirt on backwards so the Sugarbush side is out on him, and then the shutters really start snapping. Sandy adeptly slides in the $29 sandwich sign, which I’m sure will feature more prominently in Sugarbush’s photos. Moonshine with plenty of snow is visible in the upper left.

Then it’s time for lunch. Sugarbush puts out two spreads, one by the Castlerock pub, and one outside of Timbers Restaurant. Two of us had a grilled chicken sandwich, a burger, and a plateful of green salad, it came to $12.50. And it wasn’t the little Dixie cup prepackaged salad with mostly lettuce and two cherry tomatoes perched on top peering at you from under the plastic. It was a shopping cartful of field greens, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and lettuce, and you could take a heaping plateful. Good draft beers were 4.50, American bottled pondwater was 3.75. At these prices and quality, no one feels like walking to the car to get anything. Well, someone did make the trek for some homemade cookies.

Mrs G discusses the finer points of ski area management while Mr G listens intently.

At some point during lunch, I look over my shoulder and see that the owner of the resort is having lunch here with us. Not only that, but he sits there in relative quiet, we are all enjoying the day. There is no angry mob circling demanding to know why kids program prices skyrocketed, why their ski-in home was a drive-to home 2 days a week, why they closed with so much snow on the hill, or why a promised lift wasn’t running. The firepit and grill is visible in the rear, nicely made of stone.

Everyone wants a shirt, and I constantly get asked if there are any left.

After lunch, I go out and do some runs solo. It doesn’t take long to beat my quads into submission.

Sandy captures an overjoyed RustyK and SBF.

I come down to the “plaza” again, and it has a whole new feel from lunch. There is a band playing, and they’re good. A couple is dancing off by themselves.

Everyone is just hanging out, having a beer, and enjoying the afternoon. The sun comes out finally.

That’s Steins, wall to wall coverage. Everything is just right, there’s a spare seat or two if you need it, you can hear the music well, but don’t have to shout, and the air is warm.

And in case you forgot, all this was only $29 today.

And there were dogs. Lots of dogs. Friendly dogs. A cute little golden retriever puppy too. Babies in strollers. Skis laid out in the grass. Not a soul came around and said “I’m sorry, but you can’t do ##### (what ever it was you were doing). Of course, no one was acting like a jerk, either. A very good combo.

Everyone was having a good time.

Some other Killington folks shading their beer.

the inside of Castlerock Pub.

And then there was this noise. It started up by the lift, and went towards the barbeque pit.
z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z -z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z -z-z-z-z-z-z -z-z-z-zing! They called it a zip line.

Ms Moose by a granite statue. There’s probably a story behind this, but I didn’t hear it while we were there. The mountain bike nearby gives a hint of what’s to come quite soon.

The sun was setting, and we headed home.

On the way home on Rte 100 is a very unusual billboard.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, no lifts turned, even though there was a lot of snow to be had.

I had several impressions of the day. One was how many Killington people were up there. Many more than had shirts, and many more than made it into the group photo. Another was how friendly, easygoing, and welcoming everyone was. It felt genuine. This was the Sugarbush vibe.

A small thing: On a slow late spring day, when the furthest car in the lot was a 5 minute walk to Claybrook, the pick-up truck & trailer shuttle was running all day. This shows attention to detail on someone’s part, and could have easily been cut to trim costs.

Another thing. Each time up at the base lift, as much as they recognized me, they still scanned me. This is a tight ship.

Thanks to everyone that bought a shirt and helped poke some fun at Killington. Thanks to all of Sugarbush for showing us some late spring turns and good time. And like the shirt says,

Thanks, Win.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Apr 28th, '08, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Moose,
This write up makes Sugarbush look very sweet.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Nicely done sir - you captured the vibe perfectly and the vibe was perfect.
gpetrics
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by gpetrics »

awesome day... wish i had been there, but had more important family things going on saturday. looks like a blast!

killington = fail, pwnd
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Very nice writeup and picture Mr.Moose. I felt that good vibe on Monday and had a delicious and affordable lunch like you did. Wish I could have been there to join that crowd.
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Re: Sugarbush, 4 26 08 (Warning: Lots of photos to download

Post by Skibumtress »

Yea, wish I was there, but I LOVE this photo! Mr. G is actually bummed 'cause the Yankees lost. :cry:

RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Nice pics moose. I love the MRV. Wish it was a little closer. We usually come up in the summer and fall and check the area out and do some biking/hiking using our condo at K as a base. Not nearly as much sh*t to haul around as winter. Maybe we'll try hitting it for a few days next winter and stay there! Sure looks like they care about their customers...

Wish K did, but I don't think POWDR gives a rats ass about any of this. They're gonna stick to the plan (whatever it is :?: ) and they couldn't care less even if Winn was standing at the K1 gondola handing out free lift tickets to Sugarbush! :lol: POWDR is, in some ways, like the BORG in Star Trek! :lol:

Description of the Borg:

The Borg have become a symbol in popular culture for any juggernaut against whom "resistance is futile." The Borg are depicted as an amalgam of cybernetically enhanced humanoid drones (skiingsnow?) of multiple species, organized as an inter-connected collective with a hive mind, inhabiting a vast region of space with many planets and ships, and sophisticated technology. They operate towards one single-minded purpose: to add the biological and technological distinctiveness of other species to their own, in pursuit of perfection. This is achieved through forced assimilation, a process which transforms individuals and technology into Borg, enhancing individuals by adding synthetic components.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Hate to say it, but TreeRat and I actually talked about getting a skihouse up near the Bush late last summer, just as a backup plan. Me thinks it would have happened if we were still at K. I love Bush! 8)

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
spanky
Site Admin

Re: Sugarbush, 4 26 08 (Warning: Lots of photos to download

Post by spanky »

Mister Moose wrote:I had several impressions of the day. One was how many Killington people were up there. Many more than had shirts, and many more than made it into the group photo. Another was how friendly, easygoing, and welcoming everyone was. It felt genuine. This was the Sugarbush vibe.
That was our our experience all season long. It's sweeter up there.
Mister Moose wrote:Another thing. Each time up at the base lift, as much as they recognized me, they still scanned me. This is a tight ship.
True, but they have the enough staff and equipment to scan quickly and effectively and keep the lines moving.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
since1961
Blue Chatterbox

Post by since1961 »

Glad you guys had a good time!

You should come back this summer and try the zipline out. Not a big as the one at Wildcat but doesn't take an hour to get on it. Kids have a blast, adults too.

We also are big on disc golf with two 18 hole courses on the mountain. The upper course is rated by the PDGA as the 3rd most dificult in the country. It's cheap and alot of fun. We have a national tournament with several world champions giving free clinics again this summer. The World Distance Champion was amazing.

Lots of great lift served single track mountain biking and of course there is chairlift rides.

All this was new last summer. This summer the lift and zipline will be running on Fri/Sat and Sun. The lower disc golf course is open everyday.

It's going to be a great summer here at the Bush, hope some of you come up and check it out.
Just the facts..Jack!
skiboardfreak
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skiboardfreak »

Great report Moose - thanks for posting.
b-5
Wanted Poster

Post by b-5 »

Unlike the slums of Vermont the MRV has that classic New England charm.
the employees are super nice.
unlike the E.N.F.l's that work 4 slave wages @"K".
Leaving that behind this past Feb, I used my shop card for a comp pass and the person at the ticket booth said "what about her"?
and gave my wife the same deal as I got.
That action alone speaks volumes about a ski area.
When powdr is run out of town tared and feathered on a rail, I may return 2 the slum of vermont.
(gawd the access road @ "K" looks like any section of RT-17 in bergen county).
jersey,yo.
Last edited by b-5 on Apr 29th, '08, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

my shot of the statue

SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

The statue is a memorial to one of the owners of Sugarbush. I believe he died of a heart attack shortly after they purchased it from ASC.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Mtn Man wrote:Hate to say it, but TreeRat and I actually talked about getting a skihouse up near the Bush late last summer, just as a backup plan. Me thinks it would have happened if we were still at K. I love Bush! 8)

B)
If we didn't own property at K we would probably not be getting a season pass anywhere and just hitting different resorts. Still holding hope that something good will eventually happen at K, but it has faded a bit. The new lift and changes on the mountain they're making are good, but the attitude of the owners just blows! That's what they need to change. Can't imagine the owner of POWDR actually sitting with you eating lunch, socializing, posting on the message board, etc... like Win at Sugarbush. Would've been great if he and his group bought K... :cry: