elan gsx gs racing ski

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

TLonginotti4KTon
Blue Chatterbox

elan gsx gs racing ski

Post by TLonginotti4KTon »

just picked up a pair for $108 after shipping w/o bindings. brand new, i beleive 06-07, 191cm.

dont know too much about them, did i get a deal?

anyone recommend bindings for them, they do come with plates.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: elan gsx gs racing ski

Post by RustyK »

What no pic?
Where is Happy Hour ?
TLonginotti4KTon
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TLonginotti4KTon »

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Elan GSX Race (07/08)Expert skis available to recreational skiers, primarily intended for enjoying long and fast turns. Experienced skiers will easily tame them. Tested model: 178 cm, r = 18.3 m
Sidecut: 107-66-95
Sizes: 164, 170, 178 cm

http://www.ski-mag.com/en/ski/clanak.php?id=18339
much more info on the web page
Ski Reviewed: Elan GSX 182cm w/Railflex plate and HD14 binding
Skier specs: 5 foot 9, 150lbs, high 8 ability, 50 days per year
Conditions: soft to medium groomers, fast snow.

I figured I should get a review going of this ski. This is really the first time I have skied it in good conditions (sunny skies, predictable snow). This is the standard GSX that is full race stock and doesn't come tuned (0/0 base/side bevel), with somewhere in the range of a 23m radius. Prep was somewhat intensive: I had to do some serious sidewall planing to get a file on the tip and tail. I put a 1 degree base/2 side on the ski. Other than that, it was a flat base with a medium-fine crosshatch structure, so I didn't touch that. I had it mounted with the softer Railflex plate, rather than a stiffer VIST plate, as I am a lightweight, and it is alot of ski.

The GSX was superb. It was easier than any GS I have freeskied (the Volkl P60 was close). The flex, with the softer plate, felt perfect for my height and weight. I could definitely generate some snap out of the tail, and could pressure the tip, but the ski wasn't over-turning on me on steep pitches. I could make long, lazy super-G arcs, or shorter GS turns, and the ski loved both. Predictably, if I wanted to bring the ski up onto edge quickly, I needed to get to the tip, but it would turn on sidecut when I was cruising. Forgiveness was very high: the ski felt neither edgy nor demanding at any time (unlike other GS boards I have freeskied). It handled the rougher groomed-snow like it wasn't even there-this ski is soooo smooth.

I spent most of the day just making huge arcs at high speed. It is noticeably more stable than my iGS RD's from Head in 180cm. Quite light underfoot, stable, smooth, predictable, and torsionally VERY stiff. Get it up on edge, and the ski responds. There is truly no speed limit. It does take strong inside ski/inside edge engagement to turn, as you would expect, and bumps/tight turns are alot of work (at best) but this is a superb high-speed groomer/go fast ski. For my weight, I think the soft plate is the way to go, but a heavier skier would like a beefier, stiffer VIST-type plate. I will definitely be keeping a pair for sunny weekdays-it just beats the pants off of any freeski out there for going fast and making big arcs on hard snow. VERY impressive ski!

I will update it after I get it in the gates. I think the combination of medium flex ski and softer, 2-piece plate will work well for me. It turns, but does not over-turn.
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=36789

First 2 hits on Google.
iriponsnow
Green Skidder

Post by iriponsnow »

that is going to be a beast of a ski. i think it may be a 07/08 ski & will need the tyrolia/head/fischer binding. You did get a deal, but only if they will turn for you!

good luck