Jay Peak Glades VS. Killington Glades

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Which Mountain has better glades, Killington or Jay Peak?

Poll ended at May 23rd, '09, 16:21

Jay Peak
57%
Killington
43%

Total votes: 30

BluesForAllah
Beginner On Rentals

Jay Peak Glades VS. Killington Glades

Post by BluesForAllah »

I held a season pass at Killington last year. I had an amazing winter exploring and enjoy all the Killington glades and stashes.

This year, I have a season pass at Jay Peak. This mountain's non-glade trails are garbage compared to Killington. However, they have some nice glades. In fact, I would say most consider Jay to have some of the best glades in Northeast.

I would disagree. I think Killington's glades from Julio, to Growler to the Light blow Jay's signature runs, such as Everglade and Timbuktu, out of the water. This is an unbiased opinion. What does everyone else think that has skied trees at both Mtns?
Coydog
Guru Poster

Re: Jay Peak Glades VS. Killington Glades

Post by Coydog »

For me, Jay is heads above Killington for trees. Jay has longer runs, nicely cleared with usually better cover. That said, the woods at Killington were fantastic the last six days or so, including today.

Killington use to offer a much longer season with terrific spring tree skiing, but unless you hike, those days are gone - for now.
BluesForAllah
Beginner On Rentals

Post by BluesForAllah »

You really think Jay has better trees? I won't argue coverage, Jay gets almost 100 inches more than Killington each year. But the only long vertical run at is Everglade. I think Julio Anarchy, and Growleris are just as long as Everglade. Beaver Pond and Andre's are prob the second and third best tree runs at Jay and they are extremely short.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Jay is known for their glades, that's what makes Killington better.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

I know the K runs much better, so they are less novel and perhaps just seem shorter to me.

Julio is usually pretty good except for that damn Rock Garden. Anarchy often gets scraped to a flat single-track caused by too much slide slipping - a by-product of putting it on the map. Both need a fair amount of cover (like we have now) to be truly rip-able for me.

Much less tracked are the shots between the two.

When I’m at Jay, I usually find the best stuff by tagging along with a pod of bearded free healers and I have never been disappointed. Sometimes bone cracking cold, but not disappointed.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Coydog wrote:I know the K runs much better, so they are less novel and perhaps just seem shorter to me.

Julio is usually pretty good except for that damn Rock Garden. Anarchy often gets scraped to a flat single-track caused by too much slide slipping - a by-product of putting it on the map. Both need a fair amount of cover (like we have now) to be truly rip-able for me.

Much less tracked are the shots between the two.

When I’m at Jay, I usually find the best stuff by tagging along with a pod of bearded free healers and I have never been disappointed. Sometimes bone cracking cold, but not disappointed.
The rock garden was definitely present today when I hit Julio. Was going to do Anarchy later but never got to it. I guess I will have to wait for the next dump before hitting it.

I agree with others that the trees were great these past 4 days even though I voted for Jay having the best glades. I had a blast in the trees when I went up there.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Jay's boundary policy. Enough said.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
sLoPeS
Slalom Racer

Post by sLoPeS »

Nikoli wrote:Jay's boundary policy. Enough said.
what?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

everyone knows that Mount Snow has the best of everything :roll:

Personally I think Jay's got better woods. Extra snow + liberal boundary policy = better trees. With the way that Jay is laid out you can always go further out and find the snow, whether its into the Dip, Big Jay or the East Bowl.

At Killington for the most part you're limited to skiing what's been cut in between the trails

I think Killington has better marked "glades" and small little stashes all over the mountain then Jay does but there's no way its anywhere near the quality of the woods around Jay
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
rockon
Bumper

Post by rockon »

is this even debateable? the answer is jay.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid."

BluesForAllah
Beginner On Rentals

Post by BluesForAllah »

Laser Animal,

Nice reply, I havn't trekked out of bounds yet. This is my first season at Jay, any good spots I should check out? East bowl, is that the proposed expansion area? Is the Dip off of Timbuktu? Definately going to get to Big Jay, cannot wait for that. Any info from you or anyone else about where to explore would be much appreciated.
ski the trees
Bumper

Post by ski the trees »

it's well known Jay has the best trees and gets the most snow in the northeast, compensating them for having absolutely nothing else.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

ski the trees wrote:it's well known Jay has the best trees and gets the most snow in the northeast, compensating them for having absolutely nothing else.
but the nightlife is just incredible :lol:
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Kskiier1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Kskiier1 »

I grew up at Jay, and have been here for about 10 years. Hands down, with no hesitation, Jay is better sking than Killington. Awesome off trail policy, really good hidden stashes that very few know about, never all that crowded, and lots and lots of snow. I am not meaning to offend anyone with this statement, but Canadians are much friendlier than people from New York and New Jersey.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Don't be dissing us Joysey foke, aye... :roll: