Wednesday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Wednesday

Post by skiingsnow »

Pretty good out there, out from 9 till 11:45.

Sleet with a tad of snow at times in certain areas.

About 4-5" as of 11:30. Less towards K1 Base and down.

Windy, mostly at the top of the mountains. COLD.

1st tracks on Valley Plunge, pretty good, crust underneath.

Skyeburst top to bottom was quite good. Lower Skye Lark some crust underneath the new snow. Upper Skyelark was awesome, very good grooming. Superstar Headwall early was difficult, wind blew powder off in some areas, piles in others, Good Conditions though. Upper and Lower Ridge Run pretty good, mostly skiers right/left on Upper as wind blew the snow from the middle of the trail.

Lower Dream Maker park is under construction.

Upper Bittersweet very good, although less so through the short new section. Lower East Fall has some icy patches up top, then was pretty good. Lower Great Eastern very good. Cruise Control very good.

Pipe Work complete on Bear Claw, with fresh manmade snow over the dig site and the ice that was on skiers left down the whole trail from the pipe leak. Great.

Some ice here and there, overall nice conditions.

They were preparing the Canyon Quad to run, and the lift report now says it is open.

The wall of snow they created to block winds at the top of the Superstar Express worked perfectly today!! Great Idea!! Hadn't seen the great results of this since it was built back at the beginning of the season.

If you were thinking about coming up tomorrow, I would highly recommend it IF this stays all sleet/snow. I'd listen to other reports from later, and listen in/ask for weather reports later this afternoon into the evening from those who live on the mountain. IF it does go to freezing r*in, it looks to happen much earlier in the night than this past Sunday Night, so Killington will be in a much better position to provide better skiing on the groomed terrain.

Pics in a while...
Last edited by skiingsnow on Jan 7th, '09, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Re: Wednesday

Post by skiingsnow »

Lower Skye Lark

Superstar Headwall

Low Road

Gateway

Bear Claw, pipe work done.

Lower Wildfire

no idea where this is.

Lower Dream Maker

Lower Cruise Control

Valley Plunge

Upper Bittersweet

Upper Ridge Run

Lower East Fall
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

The surface was really nice today. It was heavy enough that the wind didn't blow it off the hill in most places. I wasn't deep enough to qualify as a powder day but you could float on it and not hit the crunch underneath.

I ended up on Cruise Control at one point because they have a rope across lower Dream Maker with a cat pushing snow around. Panic-Eye was roped for KMS training since the college kids had upper Bunny and the ski bum race was on Highline. Great Bear totally sucked. It looked like you could ski drifted snow looking down from the quad but it was an illusion and every turn bottomed out to crunch. Superstar headwall was a little funky with poor visiblity from windblown snow, drifts you couldn't see, and flat light but the surface was great.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Highline was the ROD :cool
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

Thanks for the helpful reports. Is it still snowing/sleeting there? The precip has stopped here in Albany.

It was Demolition Derby on the roads this morning. I saw three serious wrecks on the way to work.

It looks like tomorrow may be very windy. I may change my plans and come up Saturday.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

pouring down sleet at the moment...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

johnny the jibber wrote:pouring down sleet at the moment...
Nice dense layer is exactly what the mtn needs. As long as things dont switch over to r*in, things will be back in top shape before you know it...
ImageImageImageImage
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

It was a good day out there, but not quite the powday we all wanted.

I went end to end starting at RH for a header warmup and then exploring Snowdon Bowl trees.
They're not 100% ready, but better than they've been in awhile.
All of the steeps were fun. Highline, East Fall, Cascade were in great shape and lower Dipper was an excellent time.

The fun continued on Skye with Superstar and lower SkyeLark fast running with a combo of chop and slick spots.
The sleet changeover was pretty complete as I rode SkyeBurst->Viper Pit->Lower SkyeBurst (I still think "Bear Claw") down to Bear base.
Still one of my favorite runs.
Up the Bear chair to do Wildfire and caught a face full of wind-accelerated ball bearing sleet getting off of the lift.
After a thorough goggle cleaning Wildfire skied great, especially up top.

I ducked into some more trees on that side and decided to call it a day.

I had the Volkl AC 50s out for a second day. They were fun on yesterday's hardpack (the wide binding makes them feel 10 cm skinnier than their 85 across), but really showed their stuff in the almost pow and chop. They blast through anything and stick like glue on the hard stuff.
My only gripe is that this is a heavy, stiff ski and it's a lot of work.
A bit much for tight trees or real short turns and my legs are definitely feeling 'em.

Has anyone tried this year's AC 30? How does it compare to the 50?

Pico day tomorrow!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stayed home, didn't miss much. Batting average improving.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I drove up the hill from RutVega$ at 3:00. It's 34F and r@ining in Rutland. It drops below freezing as you approach Pico It's 26F with freezing r@in at 2000 feet.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

I think i passed you in the tangerine dream on the access rd about 1:45 today Geoff

today was good though. definately and inversion going on and the mt was starting to set up lower as needles eye was starting to set, while west glade was still dense, but easily flingable. Suprised to see the CQ4 spinning this afternoon. definately some base building snow rather than a powder day for sho. I'm digging laps off the new high speed quad. That thing keeps you moving. Would be nice if the lifties banged ice off the seats as I saw two people slide off it and had to stop the chair on the three times I rode the thing
Looks like a big boy course set up on lower conclusion. Looks biger that a course for a A level meet. Is there a NORAM comming here or something?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

"NorAms on Conclusion Saturday and Sunday This will be a SMOKE SHOW!!!! Come and watch" from the Killingtonskiclub.com site.

Glad you got out there oz :wink:
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Thanks. glad i got out as well :lol:

How'd you do in World Cup Wednesday there Lindsay Vough?

Maybe heading north to Jay tomorrow...
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

ozzy wrote:I think i passed you in the tangerine dream on the access rd about 1:45 today Geoff
That would-a been me. The VW hasn't moved very much and I decided to dig it out and drive it. I drive the Mountaineer to the hill and around town. I just brought the floor mats from the SUV inside today after skiing to dry them out. I was getting a lake in the foot wells and the inside of my windshield was icing up from the humidity.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

ozzy wrote:Thanks. glad i got out as well :lol:

How'd you do in World Cup Wednesday there Lindsay Vough?

Maybe heading north to Jay tomorrow...
Not bad for an old broad :lol: :lol: . . . have fun at Jay!

Snowing like hell here right now!!!