Got nailed

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Got nailed

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Beware of the new strategy for catching speeders on the NY Thruway. The state police now follow cars and clock them with their car and then zap them from behind. I got nailed that way when I moved over to the right lane to pass some slow pokes that should not have been in the left lane. I had to pass about 3 of them, so I hit the accelerator a bit too much and got nailed.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Re: Got nailed

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

nailed In the butt? Good for you Dork.

I give you a Borat..."high five".
Last edited by Humpty Dumpty on May 16th, '10, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Beware of the new strategy for catching speeders on the NY Thruway. The state police now follow cars and clock them with their car and then zap them from behind. I got nailed that way when I moved over to the right lane to pass some slow pokes that should not have been in the left lane. I had to pass about 3 of them, so I hit the accelerator a bit too much and got nailed.
and btw Ty, that is not a new "cop strategy". Look in your rear view mirror, dummy. Duh!
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Beware of the new strategy for catching speeders on the NY Thruway. The state police now follow cars and clock them with their car and then zap them from behind. I got nailed that way when I moved over to the right lane to pass some slow pokes that should not have been in the left lane. I had to pass about 3 of them, so I hit the accelerator a bit too much and got nailed.
and btw Ty, that is not a new "cop strategy". Look in your rear view mirror, dummy. Duh!
yeah, at night. Headlights. That works.

BTW - thanks for the compliment!

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

tyrolean_skier wrote:zap them from behind. I got nailed that way when I moved over

andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Ty, where on the Thruway? After exit 21 by any chance?
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

andyzee wrote:
No before that. The ticket says to return to Esopus Town Court.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
andyzee wrote:
Between 18 and 19. How fast they clock you? I think I look in the rear view mirror about as much as I look in front of me. I see any vehicle that looks in the slightest bit suspicious, I'll slow down to 65-70.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

andyzee wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
andyzee wrote:
Between 18 and 19. How fast they clock you? I think I look in the rear view mirror about as much as I look in front of me. I see any vehicle that looks in the slightest bit suspicious, I'll slow down to 65-70.
He got me going 82 - I usually keep it around 75. Just speeded up to pass the slow ones and didn't realized I went over 80 until I got stopped.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

I keep the cruise set at 74 and manually adjust accordingly ... it's just as illegal to pass on the right as it is to tie up the passing lane on the left ... can't stand those folks who sit in the left lane oblivious to what's going on behind them!
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

Lucky you didn't get charged with illegal passing as well. And with kids in the car?
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
andyzee wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
andyzee wrote:
He got me going 82 - I usually keep it around 75. Just speeded up to pass the slow ones and didn't realized I went over 80 until I got stopped.
So you would normally be doing 75, yet you had to "speed up" to pass the slow ones and were clocked at 82? I'm not buying it.

You are an aggressive driver if you didn't realize you were doing over 80 until you got stopped. That little circle in your dashboard with all those numbers on it, that's called a speedometer. Whatever number that the little needle is pointing to is the speed you are traveling at in mpg (or kpm).

Those white rectangular signs that you see on the side of the highway are called speed limit signs. The number that is on those signs is the maximum speed you are legally allowed to travel at on that particular road. If your speedometer is reading a higher number than what is on those signs, then you are breaking the law. If you pass on the right and have to speed up to do so, you are breaking another law. I just hope there were no children in your car at the time of your criminal activity.

You need to act in a more responsible manner when you are driving. When you drive aggressively, you put yourself and others at risk. Not cool. Slow the F down and pay attention what you are doing when behind the wheel.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

The slow pokes in the left lane probably slowed down because they saw the police! :P :lol:

We got nailed on the thruway several years ago for doing 80+. Cop was hiding in the woods and there was no way to see him until it was too late. We knew we were busted. Cop said that they only stop people if they're doing over 80. Ever since then we put it in cruise control at 70-72 and we haven't noticed any difference in how long it takes to get to K or wherever we're heading north...
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Eski wrote:I keep the cruise set at 74 and manually adjust accordingly ... it's just as illegal to pass on the right as it is to tie up the passing lane on the left ... can't stand those folks who sit in the left lane oblivious to what's going on behind them!
On a 2 lane in NH it is legal to pass on the right if the lane is paved. IE, if someone is stopped in the travel lane to make a left turn, you can pass on the right if the shoulder is paved. Currently there is no law in NH regarding camping out in the left lane on a multi lane highway. I wish this would be passed here since drivers from a state just to the south of us have a bad habit of "camping out" in the left lane.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

Big Bob wrote:
Eski wrote:I keep the cruise set at 74 and manually adjust accordingly ... it's just as illegal to pass on the right as it is to tie up the passing lane on the left ... can't stand those folks who sit in the left lane oblivious to what's going on behind them!
On a 2 lane in NH it is legal to pass on the right if the lane is paved. IE, if someone is stopped in the travel lane to make a left turn, you can pass on the right if the shoulder is paved. Currently there is no law in NH regarding camping out in the left lane on a multi lane highway. I wish this would be passed here since drivers from a state just to the south of us have a bad habit of "camping out" in the left lane.
Thanks, I'm not familiar with NH laws at all ...
I'd rather see people get ticketed for blocking the passing lane than those trying to utilize it, they are responsible for a lot of the jamming that goes on along the highways and could seemingly care less