Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiersleft
Powderhound

Snowdon Triple and Poma Officially Open this Weekend

Post by skiersleft »

More Trails, More Lifts and More Snowmaking

POSTED NOVEMBER 15, 2012

We’ve said to before and we’ll say it again, our snowmakers are AWESOME! Since Tuesday, temperatures have stayed low at Killington, allowing out snowmakers to pile up snow in the North Ridge area and expand production on Cascade Headwall, Upper Bunny Buster, Mouse Run, Mountain Training Stations on Snowdon as well as Upper Skyelark and Bittersweet on Skye Peak (just to name a few).

And that’s just the beginning! For this weekend, we expect to have the four lifts spinning including the K-1 Express Gondola, North Ridge Triple along with the Snowdon Triple and the Snowdon Poma so skiers and riders can get their first turns of the season on upper Snowdon Mountain. You guessed it correctly, this weekend Killington will be offering top to bottom skiing and riding on primarily advanced terrain.

There is no beginner terrain available for this weekend. However, as long as temperatures permit, we anticipate snowmaking production to start on Ramshead and Snowshed early next week. So think cold and definitely think snow.

Additionally, the early season terrain park is open with ten features on Reason. Let the park lapping begin. Speaking of parks, we’re kicking off the winter event season with the Loaded Turkey Rail Jam Sunday, November 18. Spots are still available for skiers/riders chance to throw down their best tricks. Winners will walk away with a turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing. The prizes don’t stop there; overall winners will automatically score a spot in the upcoming Rails 2 Riches December 8 and compete for a $20,000 cash purse. Please note Upper Downdraft will be closed for the rail jam, thank you in advance for your understanding.

The K-1 Express Gondola is scheduled to open at 8:00 a.m. followed by the North Ridge Triple. Then at 9:00 a.m. the Snowdon Triple and Snowdon Poma will be open. The K-1 Lodge will be open and so will the Dog Sled at the base of the North Ridge Triple Chair. For this weekend, lift tickets will be $49 for adults (19-64), $42 for seniors (65+) and $38 for youth (7-18). For the latest updates, check out the Conditions Report. Otherwise, we'll see you on the trails.
Ragged#1
Bumper

Re: Snowdon Triple and Poma Officially Open this Weekend

Post by Ragged#1 »

I like how they opened the triple. It is in a better location and should be open more often other that the crappy quad.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Ragged#1 wrote:I like how they opened the triple. It is in a better location and should be open more often other that the crappy quad.
Agreed however it breaks down more times than not...
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
livefast/diefun
Blue Chatterbox

Post by livefast/diefun »

Boy they are really pushing hard on the snowmaking and expansion early this season (not that thats a bad thing at all)! Granted I've only been a pass holder and really cared about early season riding for the past 4 years, this is by far the best I've seen pre-Thanksgiving. This Solimano guy really looks like he has a plan and executing it flawlessly. Good for him, good for us, good for Killington! :Toast
ImageImageImage
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Getting lot of help with the Weather Gods so far with good snowmaking temps for the next week.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiersleft
Powderhound

Post by skiersleft »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Getting lot of help with the Weather Gods so far with good snowmaking temps for the next week.
You can thank me and my fellow Gods later.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

livefast/diefun wrote:Boy they are really pushing hard on the snowmaking and expansion early this season (not that thats a bad thing at all)! Granted I've only been a pass holder and really cared about early season riding for the past 4 years, this is by far the best I've seen pre-Thanksgiving. This Solimano guy really looks like he has a plan and executing it flawlessly. Good for him, good for us, good for Killington! :Toast
I can remember skiing Bear on Thanksgiving weekend. They blew Bear Claw to get the extra parking lot for Saturday overflow parking.
Marc Shepherd
Black Carver

Post by Marc Shepherd »

Geoff wrote: I can remember skiing Bear on Thanksgiving weekend. They blew Bear Claw to get the extra parking lot for Saturday overflow parking.
Vermont has warmed up over the last 20 years. The date for favorable snow-making temperatures is coming later in the year than it used to. I do see that Bear Trax is now lit up, but I don't think they'll get there by next week.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

given the weather, seems like the standard trail rollout to me. usually get most of snowdon in addition to north ridge open for t-giving and in a good season skye/bitter. i've seen lower east fall as well.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

What I did not hear about is the planning for the Superstar chair. Lots of time invested in snowmaking in upper lark and then lower bitter, in the past this much time would result in an opening. Maybe they are just hedging their bets until early Sat morning when they can see how much base got built up down low. Seems a little marginal for makign snow during the daylight hours at the base altitude. I would LOVE to see that trail open for Sat, always the most fun when the snow is a little soft and it comes up nicely into soft bumps within a couple of hours.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

October was the first month this year that temperatures were below average. November so far is 5 degrees below average. Overall to this point 2012 has been the warmest year recorded since 1895.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

Marc Shepherd wrote:
Geoff wrote: I can remember skiing Bear on Thanksgiving weekend. They blew Bear Claw to get the extra parking lot for Saturday overflow parking.
Vermont has warmed up over the last 20 years. The date for favorable snow-making temperatures is coming later in the year than it used to. I do see that Bear Trax is now lit up, but I don't think they'll get there by next week.
That's not for that, 99% chance they're just making snow over to the Launchpad entrance, as would make sense.
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

Superstar Quad is currently spinning looking at the cam....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

da Pimp wrote:What I did not hear about is the planning for the Superstar chair. Lots of time invested in snowmaking in upper lark and then lower bitter, in the past this much time would result in an opening. Maybe they are just hedging their bets until early Sat morning when they can see how much base got built up down low. Seems a little marginal for makign snow during the daylight hours at the base altitude. I would LOVE to see that trail open for Sat, always the most fun when the snow is a little soft and it comes up nicely into soft bumps within a couple of hours.
They had announced Superstar for Saturday. I had hoped they would open it this afternoon, just for the publicity, but it didn't happen.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Snowden Triple ran for a long time today without loading.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22