DJ's Tram Line photos-Cannon

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

DJ's Tram Line photos-Cannon

Post by f.a.s.t. »

DJ's Tram Line opened up last Sunday. I skied it Saturday, and Kinsman Glade too. Both were superb, soft-ego snow making them a lot easier to ski. Even though I have skied Cannon over 100 times, it was the first time I ever skied DJ's Tram Line as it's not open very often, plus I had the right ski set up. The top 100 yards are very easy, then you reach what I will call 3 steep pitches. In between each of these pitches is a flatter, easier section of about 20 yards. The steep pitches are very difficult, with only one or two lines between all the rocks. They are somewhat similar to the cliff section on Devil's Fiddle, but each pitch is a little longer, a lot more narrow, more rocks and there is more effort and difficulty involved. You would not want to fall in these pitches.

Kinsman Glade is consistently steep, top to bottom for all 1600 vertical feet. The bottom third of the glade has to be one of the nicest glades around, it's huge with so many lines to choose from.

Photos of tram line:
Attachments
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg (125.33 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg (159.26 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg (151.27 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
freeski
Post Office

Re: DJ's Tram Line photos-Cannon

Post by freeski »

Cool, thanks for the post. I've skied Cannon many Times but, never DJ's Tramline. I could handle the steeps but, the rocks leave no room for error. I asked ski patrol about it back in '07 when it was loaded with snow and I was thinking about it. I was told there was 15' of manditory air at the top (I'm prety sure they just wanted to keep me off it). Then they explained how if you got hurt at the top the evacutation plan was to drop a rope from the tram and hang a litter from it to get you off the mountain (again another scare tactic). Also, looks hard to get down without damaging your skis. I think it is out of my league.
Not sure if this is true; the insurance company told Cannon they had to clear a good path below the tram, so Cannon figured if we have to clear it out we might as well make it a trail. The first year it was open ski partrol was cutting rebar sticking out of rocks with hacksaws from old lift supports while the trial was open.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

that looks super gnarly
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

freeski wrote:Cool, thanks for the post. I've skied Cannon many Times but, never DJ's Tramline. I could handle the steeps but, the rocks leave no room for error. I asked ski patrol about it back in '07 when it was loaded with snow and I was thinking about it. I was told there was 15' of manditory air at the top (I'm prety sure they just wanted to keep me off it). Then they explained how if you got hurt at the top the evacutation plan was to drop a rope from the tram and hang a litter from it to get you off the mountain (again another scare tactic). Also, looks hard to get down without damaging your skis. I think it is out of my league.
Not sure if this is true; the insurance company told Cannon they had to clear a good path below the tram, so Cannon figured if we have to clear it out we might as well make it a trail. The first year it was open ski partrol was cutting rebar sticking out of rocks with hacksaws from old lift supports while the trial was open.

You could get 15 feet of air, or a lot more, if you really wanted to, but you would have to be pretty crazy to try. My skis hardly ever left the snow and when they did it was in an easy place to land. I never heard about an evac from the tram, I'll have to ask patrol about that and about cutting rebar, never heard that before either. After 6 days of skiing Mittersill, glades, all natural snow trails and DJ's, my skis are in a lot better shape than I thought. I have done some damage to them though, they are currently in the tuninig shop at Cannon. I have been told by Cannon staff that they did have to cut down all the trees under the tram in order to evacuate it in case of emergency. It was after they cleared it that it became a named ski trail.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!