Pike's Lodge

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

billglen
Beginner On Rentals

Pike's Lodge

Post by billglen »

I worked at Pike's Lodge in the middle 60"s. If anyone would be interested in information on the lodge from then, please let me know.
freeski
Post Office

Re: Pike's Lodge

Post by freeski »

Always interested in good ski related stories/history.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
billglen
Beginner On Rentals

Post by billglen »

OK. It was the Christmas of 1966 and I had just graduated from college and came to Killlington to work as a ski bum and wound up at what was then the Fondue House. There was a couple who owned the property named Ruth Ann and Perley Pike, and they had 3 young kids. The Lodge soon changed names to Pike's Lodge almost at the time I got there. I think it was right after Christmas, Pereley decided to leave the East for the West which left Ruth Ann looking for help to run the lodge, thus my moving up to be the sort of manager. As I recall, Pereley was a championship skier and an entertainer. I remember him, playing his guitar for all the guests by the fire after dinner and into the wee hours. He was a great guy.
The lodge itself was the third down the hill from the ski area which was Snowden or Snowshed as best I remember. I know the Chalet Killiington was either across the street or next up the mountain on our side. I just don't remember. I read some other posts about it being where Moguls is, and cannot say for sure, but the land (parking lot) looks like that's the case. We had a very basic property and catered to the younger crowd. There were about 45 dorm beds split between men and women and 6 or 8 private rooms. We served family style breakfast and dinner every day which was usually cooked by Ruth Ann or myself. Cannot recall the weekend rate, but assume it was reasonable, because we were full virtually every weekend and had a decent week's occupancy. There was a small country store at the end of the driveway next to the road where we sold beer, wine and last minute supplies which did quite well when I could find someone to work it. Came in handy for late night alcohol needs! Entertainment was at the Wobbly Barn which was down the mountain far enough that we drove instead of walked. I remember they had a great steak that I would treat myself to when the money was right. It was always packed and lively. Good thing it was close to home!
Killington was a busy place, and I was happy to be a part of it back then, but the war in Vietnam was heating up and my draft board was calling so after the season, I went home and then into the Air Force for 5 lovely years. I married and settled in Texas where I am today. As you can probably tell, it was a great winter and would gladly do it all again. I have never been back even to see it but it's on my bucket list.
Would be glad to share any additional information to any of the zoners.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Would enjoy hearing your story!
Crippity
Green Skidder

Post by Crippity »

thanks for sharing bill, would love to hear more
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

Very cool Bill, thanks for sharing
billglen
Beginner On Rentals

Post by billglen »

Thought this would be of interest.

Typical ski bum's compensation package in 1966/1967:

Weekly pay:
$3 to $5 per week
Room and board at lodge
Season pass paid by the lodge you worked for

Work duties (daily):
Serve breakfast. Typically served about 7:30
Bus tables and help wash dishes
Clean rooms and make up beds
Usually done by 9:30 or 10 AM

Serve Dinner. Usually started around 5 or 6 PM
Bus tables and help wash dishes

No other responsibilities.

Have things changed that much?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Love the history lesson Bill, thank you. Amazing how much things have changed in the last 50 years. If you ever swing through, post up here on the zone. First one is on me...
ImageImageImageImage
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Great story. Thanks.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

As I recall, Pereley was a championship skier and an entertainer. I remember him, playing his guitar for all the guests by the fire
This dude?
ImageImageImageImage
billglen
Beginner On Rentals

Post by billglen »

Do you suppose that's him? If there are any later pictures, I would know for sure. He was much older when I met him, but I know he grew up around the mountain. As I remember, people knew of his skiing and how talented he was. The pike family were/are part of Killington history. Ruth Ann's family owned the lodge next door down the mountain on the same side. Think they shared the driveway off of the highway.
Also know that he passed away in the last few years....my wife found the obit and showed it to me. I also found out that one of the kids, Chris was killed in a car wreck on the way to Rutland.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Stormy, that's another guy.
An entertainer for sure, but not affiliated with Killington.
I think that guy hailed from Idaho. :lol:

Nice background history there Bill !
Thanks for the memories.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Powderputz
Bumper

Post by Powderputz »

The current Moguls restaurant sports bar is the very building that was once Pike's Lodge. Mr. and Mrs. Pike suffered the horrible tragedy of the loss of one of their sons in an automobile or motorcycle accident some ten or fifteen years ago. This changed everything for the Pike family.

Pike's lodge was a pleasant place, nothing fancy, with semi-private and private rooms upstairs and a dorm downstairs. It was a great place for those on a budget.

Places like Pike's Lodge, Ski Bunk Inn (later Troll Inn, then Mother Shapiro's and now, Sushi Yoshi), Basin Lodge, Happy Bear (formerly Skol Haus) and so many other places on the Access Road were the only places to stay 30, 40 or even 50 years ago. I remember when the Red Rob Inn, (now KMS) was one of the more "upscale" places back in the very early 70s, and THE place to stay was The Summit Lodge. Basin Lodge's big slogan was "closest lodgings to the slopes" and up until 1972, that was the truth. Then, they built Edgemont followed by Whiffletree.

Remember the old Zorba's?

"Killington Fireside Lodge" still stands, however, now it looks like it's a firetrap about to be nothing more than kindling. It was supposedly auctioned off...one of Jack Giguerre's businesses wayyyy back in the 60s, then taken over by his former wife, and I'm not sure if it was auctioned off or not.... but today, a true relic of what was Killington past. Oh, and of course, King's Four which was torn down for today's Inn of the Six Mountains

Killington Road was a truly eclectic collection of various styles and followed no theme, either yesterday or today....

Yes, memories....
billglen
Beginner On Rentals

Post by billglen »

Most interesting Bumper. You are right about the access road being a collection of businesses that competed for the skiers in the late 60's. I was so oblivious to things like that at the time, but remember that Pike's was sure nothing to look at. But, we had fun and that's the important thing. Ruth Ann lived in an A frame directly behind that lodge, but I bet it's long gone?
I had a buddy that came to Killington with me and he worked at the Whitestone which was way down the mountain at the Rt. 4 junction, if memory serves me correctly. Actually, his brother in law was the owner back then. Probably changed hands many times since 1967.
Everything was après ski back then, so all lodges offered some form of comfort after a long day on the slopes. Not sure what Pike's offered except a warm fire and an endless supply of cocktails and fun.

I have tried to contact Ruth Ann with no success any help would be appreciated. Thanks.