Thursday Dec 22 ....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Thursday Dec 22 ....

Post by MrsG »

Soft snow everywhere, more than the reported inch - crowd like a Saturday!! Most snow fell after grooming...except lower WF - must have been groomed later .... guns on UWild, Bear claw, lower GE. Testing Skyship cable. Otherside after break;)
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: Thursday Dec 22 ....

Post by Big Bob »

I saw a lot of families on Tuesday with school age children. Do some school districts have this week off also?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Awesome. See you tomorrow PM...
Where is Happy Hour ?
Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Snowboardgod »

Got out for a couple hours, bear and needles area were dead. Decent line at k1 and other areas. Nice to get a refill, we needed it.
Mallet
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Mallet »

A lot of schools in VT have today and tomorrow off. Woodstock/Killington only have Friday off.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Spent the morning at Pico. The very light crowd meant the new snow didn't get skied out in an hour. But only 5 trails open!!! Basically 1.5 routes down off the lower quad and 49er off the summit. This after one of the snowiest Decembers in recent years and plenty of good snowmaking weather in past couple of weeks. A few guns going on Little Pico, but they are in big trouble for the coming holiday week. Are they just not getting enough money to make snow and groom? Pico during the week with fresh snow is a delight, but it's sad to see how poorly they are able to recover from an event like last Sunday.

My afternoon was at Bear and Needles. Much more skied out than Pico, but was surprised at the small to moderate bumps everywhere. Looks like this little storm over-delivered! If it stays cold it should be a good holiday week.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

PinnacleJim wrote:Spent the morning at Pico. The very light crowd meant the new snow didn't get skied out in an hour. But only 5 trails open!!! Basically 1.5 routes down off the lower quad and 49er off the summit. This after one of the snowiest Decembers in recent years and plenty of good snowmaking weather in past couple of weeks. A few guns going on Little Pico, but they are in big trouble for the coming holiday week. Are they just not getting enough money to make snow and groom? Pico during the week with fresh snow is a delight, but it's sad to see how poorly they are able to recover from an event like last Sunday.

My afternoon was at Bear and Needles. Much more skied out than Pico, but was surprised at the small to moderate bumps everywhere. Looks like this little storm over-delivered! If it stays cold it should be a good holiday week.
it's been dismal at pico the last 2 years, w no trails and no clientele they ain't making any money on concessions, lessons etc...last year they basically honored pico passes at K for the entire pico season save a few scant weeks...I had a pico pass last year and ski'd 2 days there...we'll see what kind of effect Rich can have over there...I did not see him at ski bum last nite...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Skyeburst was ROTD right at opening bell with about 1.5" of new snow. There was no easy way to get there from SS so I got 3 good laps before it got tracked out. Wildfire was being groomed with the winch cat at 9. Needles was disappointing - lots of chunky ice below the new snow; same with Cascade. SS and Skylark were soft & smooth; lower East Fall was pretty scraped off by the time I hit it. Chute was good for a lap.

No one poaching today. Need another 6" of firm snow, at least, to cover up Sunday's damage. Peak lodge was packed at Noon. Barring another r*in event, K should be in good shape for the holiday hordes.

Scored this on the way home:
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

the front 3 off supe skied great in the new pow at the open. skyeburst next - worth a quick 6 off the spq. surprised by the very late groom on lower wildfire but it skied well. by the time i got to needles, thought panic was pretty skied off. canyon next, where after a nice ride on uppercascade, from mid down thought it was pretty skied off. east fall as well. the snowdon runs skied better. we desperately needed this snow,
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

liv4ski wrote:Skyeburst was ROTD right at opening bell with about 1.5" of new snow.
That's known as boot sole deep on the skiadikt powder scale. I'm hoping for more days without decimal points.
liv4ski wrote:Scored this on the way home:
Nice. Tribute is my favorite of those 3.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Great day at Stowe today. A little bit of a late start as we're nursing colds. About 4-5" by the end of the day. Zero lift lines meant serious vertical...
IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG (281.83 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Woods are amazing here... just need more snow to soften up the crust.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

madhatter wrote:
PinnacleJim wrote:Spent the morning at Pico. The very light crowd meant the new snow didn't get skied out in an hour. But only 5 trails open!!! Basically 1.5 routes down off the lower quad and 49er off the summit. This after one of the snowiest Decembers in recent years and plenty of good snowmaking weather in past couple of weeks. A few guns going on Little Pico, but they are in big trouble for the coming holiday week. Are they just not getting enough money to make snow and groom? Pico during the week with fresh snow is a delight, but it's sad to see how poorly they are able to recover from an event like last Sunday.

it's been dismal at pico the last 2 years, w no trails and no clientele they ain't making any money on concessions, lessons etc...last year they basically honored pico passes at K for the entire pico season save a few scant weeks...I had a pico pass last year and ski'd 2 days there...we'll see what kind of effect Rich can have over there...I did not see him at ski bum last nite...
I think staffing has to do with a lot of trail closures. With only a couple of people paroling, it's hard to drop ropes. If Northstar was legally open today, than things like KA, Lower GK and Summit Glades should of been as well. I know some of the low angle stuff over there was skiing well before Sunday. My guess is by tomorrow or Saturday we'll see natural snow terrain expansions.
But yes, they need Exhibition and Panhandler open on man made snow next week for the holiday crowds
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Snowy afternoon with a good 3 inches or more building up by days end. Summit temperature steady at 19 degrees. New snow added a whole new soft feel to the hard base. With just enough new fallen patrol dropped ropes on natural favorites like Northstar and Vagabond. Snow buildup on Highline continues with so many tracks you would of thought the trail was open. Canyon was nice with multiple Cascade laps done. It got pretty dark by last chair as we finished up paving the powder on Escapde.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day - A little snow really makes a huge difference.
Attachments
Northstar
Northstar
IMG_1495.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Powder Afternoon
Powder Afternoon
IMG_1493.jpg (48.68 KiB) Viewed 507 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

madhatter wrote:

Last year was beyond dismal for sure... but 2 years ago (winter 2014/2015 was pretty amazing I thought.) If I had to guess, last year was a major financial loss but 2 years ago must have been profitable.

Who is Rich?
Don't Killington Pico
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

boston_e wrote:Who is Rich?
Rich McCoy is the new Pico General Manger replacing Tracey Taylor. The McCoy special at the Wobbley is named for him. Good Guy!
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.