KSL, Aspen and Powdr

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

KSL, Aspen and Powdr

Post by hillbangin »

Wouldn't it be nice if Powdr sold of their VT property.........

Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Snow Summit, Bear Mountain and June Mountain in California; Steamboat Ski & Resort and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Blue Mountain Ski Resort in Ontario; Mont Tremblant Resort in Quebec; Stratton Mountain Resort in Vermont; and Snowshoe Mountain Resort in West Virginia, KILLINGTON

We need new mulch - and a few chairlifts and 3 lodges.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Re: KSL, Aspen and Powdr

Post by jimmywilson69 »

When I win the Powerball I am buying Killington. The Cummings won't be able to refuse my offer.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

I would prefer access to the epic pass personally.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Interesting that a bunch of resorts have changed hands and POWDR didn't acquire anything. Their last acquisition was Eldora in 2016, a mom and pop place from what I gather. They've made moves in other directions though. Begs the question as to what their long term plan is for their ski resort arm.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Begs the question as to what their long term plan is for their ski resort arm.
We are talking about guys who are so unfocused that they could not remember to send back their paperwork on a lease renewal for a totally cheap Park City lease and ended up losing it all! I would not expect much! I hope they do not lose more ground!
Last edited by GSKI on Aug 23rd, '17, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Copper continues as the prime beneficiary.
Yes, we love that new mulch. :roll:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
firsttime
Beginner On Rentals

Post by firsttime »

Id personally prefer a pass with many nore east coast options. Increasing the number of driving destination I have would be nice. And if I can get out west once a year that would be the perfecr pass.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Yes, don't trying to equate logical decisions with a group who has shown their business/industry arrogance, lack of commitment to public safety (lifts) and poor upper management. But I love the hands on people at Killington who wring out every possible plus from the hand they are dealt.

However - what if Vail Resorts bought Killington/Pico. In the short to medium term, you could count on much higher pricing across the board and limited access to the hill unless you are paying dearly for that (reflecting the future state of a village business model, and much parking as we know it goes away).

What you would get in return for the VR on the sign would be improvements in lift performance, new lifts, certainly something for lodge improvements, customer service, and overall fun factors. Yes, things would be better in most if not all problem areas. But we would all be paying dearly for it.

So why can't there be a reasonable middle road - some improvements made commensurate with industry practice and competitive position. Prices for a day ticket and even the discounted tix are up there with the competition, but they have invested in updating lifts and lodges.

I think that Cumming was so turned off by the inability of POWDR to increase pricing while dropping off the lower profit bottom feeders (pass holders, occasional day trippers on discount tix) that he comes up with decision rationales that support his emotional views, even though he hurts his business (us) in the process. There should be no reason why Okemo gets so many more skier days every year since POWDR arrived although they have less vertical, less trails, less snowfall, less snowmaking, far less variety (something for everyone), shorter season, and no supporting access road. Yes, Mr. Cumming is doing everything right - for the competition.

Despite all this, I still rally behind the local management because they work hard & smart, they care, and I love the hill too much to walk away for somewhere else. However most of my friends have and continue to ski elsewhere since POWDR came to town. Customers are easy to lose, hard to recover.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

da Pimp wrote: Despite all this, I still rally behind the local management because they work hard & smart, they care, and I love the hill too much to walk away for somewhere else.
Correct - never confuse local management with POWDR. They do a great job with what they are given.

BTW - I heard that the POWDR crew was in town 2 weeks ago for business reviews but have not heard any dirt. Anyone heard anything?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

jimmywilson69 wrote:When I win the Powerball I am buying Killington. The Cummings won't be able to refuse my offer.
Cash payout is for Wednesday's drawing, the lump sum would be $443.3 million and then you have most likely state and of course Federal taxes.

You probably wouldn't have enough to buy K.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:When I win the Powerball I am buying Killington. The Cummings won't be able to refuse my offer.
Cash payout is for Wednesday's drawing, the lump sum would be $443.3 million and then you have most likely state and of course Federal taxes.

Stowe, which is much better kept than Killington only sold for $41 million. I think after taxes I'd be good.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

jimmywilson69 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Stowe, which is much better kept than Killington only sold for $41 million. I think after taxes I'd be good.
Stowe Mountain Lodge, Stowe Mountain Club, Stowe Country Club and certain real estate owned and held for potential future development will be retained by MMC.

Basically all they bought were the lift and a few other things.

So would be a lot more for K.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I bet K would sell for less than $100 million. honestly besides the Grand what else do you get? According to many here, old outdated and poorly maintained lifts, last years mulch, outdated lodges, and other aging infrastructure. I guess you get a 20% stake in a village that will likely never be built, too.

Obviously a lot of great superlatives. Excellent terrain, natural snow, snowmaking, etc. Plus a good base of all of the stuff listed above that can be improved upon.

Wasn't it purchased for around $40-$50 million? Has the value increased to more than double that? If so I think Cummings would've sold...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I bet K would sell for less than $100 million. honestly besides the Grand what else do you get? According to many here, old outdated and poorly maintained lifts, last years mulch, outdated lodges, and other aging infrastructure. I guess you get a 20% stake in a village that will likely never be built, too.

Obviously a lot of great superlatives. Excellent terrain, natural snow, snowmaking, etc. Plus a good base of all of the stuff listed above that can be improved upon.

Wasn't it purchased for around $40-$50 million? Has the value increased to more than double that? If so I think Cummings would've sold...
Was bought for 83.5 million but they have put in at least 4 yards of dark brown much so that boosts the price.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SnoBrdr wrote: Was bought for 83.5 million but they have put in at least 4 yards of dark brown much so that boosts the price.
Single floor glass box on top, 2 Ubars, the Carni Crap on Blowshed, and paid parking revenue.

Adds a few more bucks.