Duct tape required??

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snow4all
Blue Chatterbox

Duct tape required??

Post by snow4all »

So we are almost ready to get off the SR quad to only have it stop. After the lifty goes out to reset the "trip gate" ( that long tube that catches those who don't get off the lift). He hustles back in to get things going again only to have it "trip" the switch again. Turns out the trip gate is resting on the top of a plastic cone and the wind kept blowing the cone over and stopping the lift :shock: . When we get off the lift I see the trip gate is a fabrication of a couple of different pieces held together by "nuts and bolts." This thing has the rigidity of cooked spahghetti! No wonder they need to prop it up on a cone. So was this the setup that passed inspection? Time to rethink that solution. As the saying goes, if you can't duct it, f--- it.
rogman
Postinator

Re: Duct tape required??

Post by rogman »

“Duct tape won’t fix that” —things you’ll never hear.
snow4all
Blue Chatterbox

Post by snow4all »

rogman wrote:“Duct tape won’t fix that” —things you’ll never hear.
:like :like
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snow4all wrote:So we are almost ready to get off the SR quad to only have it stop. After the lifty goes out to reset the "trip gate" ( that long tube that catches those who don't get off the lift). He hustles back in to get things going again only to have it "trip" the switch again. Turns out the trip gate is resting on the top of a plastic cone and the wind kept blowing the cone over and stopping the lift :shock: . When we get off the lift I see the trip gate is a fabrication of a couple of different pieces held together by "nuts and bolts." This thing has the rigidity of cooked spahghetti! No wonder they need to prop it up on a cone. So was this the setup that passed inspection? Time to rethink that solution. As the saying goes, if you can't duct it, f--- it.
Must not look at lifts too closely. Many stop gates are like that. They're nothing more than a simple solenoid on a wand, and as you can guess, wind has the same effect as someone opening the wand.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I can remember a rope tow I used to ride that had a simple electric plug for a safety. It was wired from one prong to the other and plugged into a socket. A rope was tied to it as the trip mechanism. Hit the rope, the plug pulled out, breaking the circuit. Thought it was a better design than anything I've seen since.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

rogman wrote:I can remember a rope tow I used to ride that had a simple electric plug for a safety. It was wired from one prong to the other and plugged into a socket. A rope was tied to it as the trip mechanism. Hit the rope, the plug pulled out, breaking the circuit. Thought it was a better design than anything I've seen since.
Still use that setup at Sunday River!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Makes you wonder what else the Inspectors call "good enough" :shock:
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Always had it on the front of my shin buster Langes to prevent water seepage in the spring. Those boots were great for racing, butt brutal in the bumps.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Humpty Dumpty wrote:Always had it on the front of my shin buster Langes to prevent water seepage in the spring. Those boots were great for racing, butt brutal in the bumps.
“Lange Bang”
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

spanky wrote:
Humpty Dumpty wrote:Always had it on the front of my shin buster Langes to prevent water seepage in the spring. Those boots were great for racing, butt brutal in the bumps.
“Lange Bang”
A couple of spring seasons with literally bruises on my shins muscles. Raichle Flexons were a Godsend after Langes.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

newpylong1 wrote: Must not look at lifts too closely. Many stop gates are like that. They're nothing more than a simple solenoid on a wand, and as you can guess, wind has the same effect as someone opening the wand.
The new 6 pack has no wand, it's a laser-sensor so if you break the beam it stops.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote:
newpylong1 wrote: Must not look at lifts too closely. Many stop gates are like that. They're nothing more than a simple solenoid on a wand, and as you can guess, wind has the same effect as someone opening the wand.
The new 6 pack has no wand, it's a laser-sensor so if you break the beam it stops.
Next generation Killington Ninja rope ducking.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Mister Moose wrote:
I would hope so, that's been the standard for quite some time.