New restaurant in an old place

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

New restaurant in an old place

Post by Mister Moose »

Flannels Bar & Grill, located on Rte 4 in Mendon, in the blue/grey building that just got painted red. I can't remember the last 2 iterations, (Champlains/Tap House, or something) but you know the place. Chef owned, which has promise, the soft opening brought some good reviews. They have a Facebook page, and there is a menu posted there if you scroll down. The website is Flanelsvt.cm, but I got nada when I tried it.

Tough location, but if they make it worth going over the pass they should be fine.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: New restaurant in an old place

Post by Guy in Shorts »

When I moved to Mendon back in 2003 the place was called Churchill's. Was a very popular place over the years according to many locals. Then the place closed for awhile reopening as Sharky's. Then it became Noel's and lastly The Taphouse. The bulding has sat empty more years than it has been open. Over the last two decades Rt 4 in Mendon has lost the Killington overflow to the chain motels in Rutland.

Additional Mendon Rt 4 Restaurants closed-
1.Cortina Inn Restaurant
2. Cortina Inn Bar
3. Heli's
4. Vermont Inn
5. Snow Angel

Motel/Lodges closed in Mendon since 2003
1. Cortina Inn
2. Tyrol Motel
3. Econo Lodge
4. Edelweiss (in Killington but Mendon side of pass)
5. Mendon Meadows - Now Powdr owned for employee housing.

Best of luck to new owners.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

I think the same has occurred for the restaurants in Mendon -> Rutland
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Guy in Shorts wrote:When I moved to Mendon back in 2003 the place was called Churchill's. Was a very popular place over the years according to many locals. Then the place closed for awhile reopening as Sharky's. Then it became Noel's and lastly The Taphouse. The bulding has sat empty more years than it has been open. Over the last two decades Rt 4 in Mendon has lost the Killington overflow to the chain motels in Rutland.

Additional Mendon Rt 4 Restaurants closed-
1.Cortina Inn Restaurant
2. Cortina Inn Bar
3. Heli's
4. Vermont Inn
5. Snow Angel

Motel/Lodges closed in Mendon since 2003
1. Cortina Inn
2. Tyrol Motel
3. Econo Lodge
4. Edelweiss (in Killington but Mendon side of pass)
5. Mendon Meadows - Now Powdr owned for employee housing.

Best of luck to new owners.
It was excellent when it was Churchill's. Was always packed also. Famous for their Vermont Turkey dinner which was good. Ever since they closed many years ago it's been crappy whatever opened there. Hope the new place works out. We'll see.

Cortina Inn opened for a few years, but closed early last year and were supposed to convert into a senior care facility. Haven't seen much work going on since that announcement. https://www.rutlandherald.com/news/cort ... 76645.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Website is flannelsvt.com
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Churchill's was always worth the trip. 8)
Lots more and better options now.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:Flannels Bar & Grill, located on Rte 4 in Mendon, in the blue/grey building that just got painted red. I can't remember the last 2 iterations, (Champlains/Tap House, or something) but you know the place. Chef owned, which has promise, the soft opening brought some good reviews. They have a Facebook page, and there is a menu posted there if you scroll down. The website is Flanelsvt.cm, but I got nada when I tried it.

Tough location, but if they make it worth going over the pass they should be fine.
Website still not up.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:Flannels Bar & Grill, located on Rte 4 in Mendon, in the blue/grey building that just got painted red. I can't remember the last 2 iterations, (Champlains/Tap House, or something) but you know the place. Chef owned, which has promise, the soft opening brought some good reviews. They have a Facebook page, and there is a menu posted there if you scroll down. The website is Flanelsvt.cm, but I got nada when I tried it.

Talk about DBs.

This guy gave them a ONE star rating but you have to read the review to see what's actually going on.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 18c09,1,,,
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

The entire Rt 4 route thru Mendon is full of really old run down structures that look the same as the 70's, 80's when that Killington region was growing with a lot of business on the hill, off the hill. Fast forward 30-40 years later and the same tired Mendon places still stand, Killington went from nearly a million visits a year to barely over 700,000, the economy in general (cost of gas/lodging/lift tickets), the competition got better, leisure time competition developed. The business levels that supported Mendon lodging or food shriveled up. Kind of parallel to the Nightspot days when it was jammed wall to wall, cover charge to get in. Now you drive by and wonder if its open. Either you change with the times, adapt, be flexible or you sit on your hands doing nothing hoping the good times never end.

I'll try it once after I hear something positive. Although leaving the access road and traveling on Rt 4 means running the gauntlet of probable enforcement actions.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

da Pimp: I hear they have early bird specials, so it sounds like your kind of place.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Wasn’t that same location also “Huck Finn’s” at one point?
Don't Killington Pico
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

It was excellent when it was Churchill's. Was always packed also. Famous for their Vermont Turkey dinner which was good. Ever since they closed many years ago it's been crappy whatever opened there. Hope the new place works out. We'll see.
Don't forget SHARKEYS! lol.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

GSKI wrote:
Don't forget SHARKEYS! lol.
Was previously mentioned.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:Wasn’t that same location also “Huck Finn’s” at one point?
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Noel's before he stopped paying the staff. They dumped some big bucks into the deck and other amenities only to go belly up. A group from the Boston area took it over but never really got things going. He also took over the slope side restaurant until he filed for bankrupt. No mentions of Snow Angel. Good food, nice bar and people. They also invested bucks to extend into the yard during summer. Just not enough traffic for them to survive. The Boston crowd payed too much attention to their friends so they were doomed from the start.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dr. NO wrote:Noel's before he stopped paying the staff. They dumped some big bucks into the deck and other amenities only to go belly up. A group from the Boston area took it over but never really got things going. He also took over the slope side restaurant until he filed for bankrupt. No mentions of Snow Angel. Good food, nice bar and people. They also invested bucks to extend into the yard during summer. Just not enough traffic for them to survive. The Boston crowd payed too much attention to their friends so they were doomed from the start.
Snow Angels was previously mentioned as well.