sunday 11/29 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 11/29 report

Post by skiadikt »

there were no worms to be found on the early shift. the best thing about this morning was that the sun actually does exist. beautiful bluebird though a bit on the windy side. the flat & fast groom at the open quickly deteriorated into ice, chunks & sand. the north ridge was better than snowdon. our second run down east fall sucked. there are some rocks poking through halfway down. the best snow was on upper downdraft and upper EF. guns were running on upper dipper. hopefully the sun & warmth improved things for the afternoon session.
Last edited by skiadikt on Nov 29th, '20, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: sunday

Post by tyrolean_skier »

The only place I found some soft snow was on Lower Bunny Buster. I was skiing with Skiadikt so nothing much to add besides that. I too hope that things soften up for the afternoon shift.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Slept late. Having bagels and lox jazz brunch. Conditions excellent.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Yea, where did all these people come from on a Sunday morning - guess people are not partying as late on Saturday. The mountain was pretty much trashed by 8:30 am!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

MrsG wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 12:31 Yea, where did all these people come from on a Sunday morning - guess people are not partying as late on Saturday. The mountain was pretty much trashed by 8:30 am!
the lift corrals for the bubble were pretty much full at the open. almost like it was a powder day.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: sunday 11/29 report

Post by easyrider16 »

Downdraft headwall at around 8:30 had wonderful soft bumps and was ROTD. Likewise Lower East Fall was very nice around 8:35 or so, but by the second run down fifteen mintues later it was already skied off. There were surprisingly high numbers out at opening bell. It was the best weather day of the weekend and with nowhere to party at night it seems most were up early.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Rare November sun closed out the wet warm Turkeyday Weekend. Summit temperature of 24 degrees greeted the eager Sunday crowd. Smooth groomed surfaces were quickly chewed to pieces. Snow has held up pretty well for the first 10 days of the season but the relentless assault by the holiday crowd on the limited terrain has taken its toll. Chunky sandy thick powder made for some super fun turns. Headed for the tailgate shortly after the wife was involved in a collision on Middle chute were both skiers emerged unscathed.

Quote of the Day - Most thankful for the awesome snowmakers.
Rime
Rime
IMG_0278.jpg (276.98 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Mixing Bowl
Mixing Bowl
IMG_0280.jpg (576.09 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Tailgating
Tailgating
IMG_0288.jpg (327.55 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 14:39 Headed for the tailgate shortly after the wife was involved in a collision on Middle chute were both skiers emerged unscathed.
Glad to hear that she was not hurt.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

easyrider16 wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 13:48 Downdraft headwall at around 8:30 had wonderful soft bumps and was ROTD. Likewise Lower East Fall was very nice around 8:35 or so, but by the second run down fifteen mintues later it was already skied off. There were surprisingly high numbers out at opening bell. It was the best weather day of the weekend and with nowhere to party at night it seems most were up early.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Now I wish I had started at the K1 instead of the Bubble. Sounds like you got to ski the best conditions for the day. The first runs on Snowdon were pretty good too but deteriorated fast.
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

I thought it was an absolute sh!tshow out there. Late start, around 10:20, had to park at Vale and take the bus. People absolutely do not respect the request to wear masks or too dumb to wear them properly. This is a concern especially in the confines of a crowded bus. It’s not possible to appropriately social distance on the bus. I think they were beyond capacity today for the terrain.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

skibikeclimbguy wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 16:18 I thought it was an absolute sh!tshow out there. Late start, around 10:20, had to park at Vale and take the bus. People absolutely do not respect the request to wear masks or too dumb to wear them properly. This is a concern especially in the confines of a crowded bus. It’s not possible to appropriately social distance on the bus. I think they were beyond capacity today for the terrain.
Yep . . . Pretty much sums it up . . Shltshow after 10 am
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 14:39 Rare November sun closed out the wet warm Turkeyday Weekend. Summit temperature of 24 degrees greeted the eager Sunday crowd. Smooth groomed surfaces were quickly chewed to pieces. Snow has held up pretty well for the first 10 days of the season but the relentless assault by the holiday crowd on the limited terrain has taken its toll. Chunky sandy thick powder made for some super fun turns. Headed for the tailgate shortly after the wife was involved in a collision on Middle chute were both skiers emerged unscathed.

Quote of the Day - Most thankful for the awesome snowmakers.

IMG_0278.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0288.jpg
Happy to hear of no injuries. On the other hand what makes you soo F*cking special? Are you an idiot or just fat and dumb? You post pictures with out a mask. Then go tailgate. Oh GIS exemption I guess. Maybe they should yank your pass. :seeya
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

ANGUS wrote: Nov 29th, '20, 18:52 Happy to hear of no injuries. On the other hand what makes you soo F*cking special? Are you an idiot or just fat and dumb? You post pictures with out a mask. Then go tailgate. Oh GIS exemption I guess. Maybe they should yank your pass.
We are all so special here at Killington. Why do you think they call it the Land of Misfit Toys.

"Don't follow me, I make poor choices" is my normal MO. Does that make me an idiot? You be you and I will be me.

At 245 lbs thin may be in but fat is where it's at. Could also use a hearing aid so I am a little dumb. Thanks for noticing.

I wear an outlaw bandana whenever I am away my safety of my pod. Wearing a mask when unable to social distance is simple respect for others. I am not exempt. :chill
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Not too much of a worm to be found later in the day except that it sounds like it was much more crowded earlier on.

Side Note: Re: The mixing bowl. From one of the oldest ski houses at Killington [Snow Nymphs], the mixing bowl was always the bottom of Mouse Trap. FWIW: Take a look at your photo of the false mixing bowl at the bottom of Upper Bunny and then compare that with the hoards of peeps "mixing" at the bottom of Middle Chute and Mouse Trap. CH out.

Surprisingly, my report not much different that Skiadikt's. Exact opposite of the day before. Best skiing was up high, where the mountain was colder the day before.

ROTD: Downdraft Headwall. A bit firmer in the troughts than its been, but very nice snow, and great cover, on the moguls/whales.

Even Upper East Fall was pretty good today. Rime left side bumps [U/L] are pretty nicely formed, but pretty stiff and a bit bony. Regardless, some good eastern skiing.

WROTD: Middle Chute [which was my ROTD the day before]. Horrible beach sand, etc. Mouse Trap, though not a real bargain, was the much better option.

East Fall. Not great, but I enjoyed it for a couple runs as it was at least providing some challenge. With a good edge, no problem getting down it and enough "moguls / piles of sand" to make some turns on. A bit tricky getting past the first bare spot area, but not too bad. And, at least later in the day when I was skiing it, no one else on it.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I have always heard the intersection under the old poma was the mixing bowl and the bottom of mousetrap was the bowling alley....also too many asians on the hill this weekend...