Big Bob
Postinator

K 1 Lodge Construction

Post by Big Bob »

Construction will not resume till next winter

https://mountaintimes.info/k-1-construc ... 0RmYi2YAfg
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Re: K 1 Lodge Construction

Post by DrJeff »

Big Bob wrote: Jan 7th, '21, 06:00 Construction will not resume till next winter

https://mountaintimes.info/k-1-construc ... 0RmYi2YAfg
The new lodge will be ready for its 1st stylistic remodeling job before it opens at this rate :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:

F-Covid! And appreciation to all of the construction workers doing their jobs, when the politicians and other officials let them, through all of this! :like
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

WTF?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

4 other base lodges to use when we're able to. It'll get done...
Last edited by newpylong1 on Jan 7th, '21, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

that seems odd... especially since this was a CAPEX that was already in progress. Its not good to keep a building half built for that long.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

What's the real story....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Interesting, I thought it had already resumed. Major construction projects are progressing all over the tri-state area largely without Covid issues, many of them never stopped. I wonder why the K1 lodge is different especially in a state with a very low infection rate? Must be more to the story. Either way it's going to cost someone a lot of money and it won't be the contractor. Construction contracts on major projects like this protect the contractor from things beyond their control including extreme weather events and other "acts of God". A global pandemic is certainly beyond the control of the contractor. Things like labor and material escalation costs, demobilization & remobilization costs, temporary weather protection, temporary fire alarm and fire protection, added insurance costs, additional rental costs on things like temporary trailers, lost operating revenue, etc., all add up quick and will be significant on a project like this, probably at least in the low hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

So no work will be done in the next 9 or so months ???

Something doesn’t add up
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

My guess? POWDR pulled the plug on all capital projects due to cash flow problems.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

PinnacleJim wrote: Jan 7th, '21, 12:41 My guess? POWDR pulled the plug on all capital projects due to cash flow problems.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! And not an unreasonable event.

P.S. I deleted your double post.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

“We look forward to unveiling it when it’s complete. We realize there are other priorities we have to tend to.”

Like meeting payroll and paying vendors.

Not hard to deduce nor unexpected after this season.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

newpylong1 wrote:“We look forward to unveiling it when it’s complete. We realize there are other priorities we have to tend to.”

Like meeting payroll and paying vendors.

Not hard to deduce nor unexpected after this season.
So that means they are paying cash? No loan.

I'd think they'd want it done for next fall but completely understand they are in cash flow survival mode.

Maybe the construction company is working with them on the delay if they already had projects scheduled that have hard dates for completion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

that's a possibility too. They could've come to some sort of agreement where Powder floated them some "retainer" fee and said we're in but just can't do it this year.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

It could be something as simple as the complications of supply chain delays.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Hard to imagine an Owner making a decision like that given the financial ramifications. I've lived in that world for over 30 years and have fought construction delays claims from both the Owners side and the contractor's side many times. Mothballing a project like that for a year is going to cost someone a lot of money. This building is probably costing around $325-$350/SF x 58,000SF equals somewhere around $19 or $20M not including soft costs like design fees, permits, etc., just pure construction costs. It's about 45% complete right now so that's about $10 or $11M remaining of construction value that will be subjected to labor and material escalation costs which are for the most part unavoidable. Escalation is typically calculated at 3% per year therefore $10.5M x 3% is $315,000 and all we are talking about is labor and material escalation. There are also all the other costs I mentioned before like added insurance costs, added temporary weather protection costs, added temporary fire alarm and fire protection costs, etc., etc., etc., that could easily add another 1-2% or another $100-$200,000 so we could be talking well over a half a million dollars to make a decision like that. At the very least, it's at least a $250,000 decision and I think that is way low. Either way, you would have to be seriously desperate to flush that kind of money. From a contractors perspective, this is what is known as blood in the water. On the other hand, they have to worry about getting stiffed by an owner in financial trouble that might make them an offer and tell them to take it or leave it. If it's any kind of a reasonable offer, like splitting it, most take it given the cost, uncertainty, and hard feelings associated with litigation.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......