Skiers vs Snowboarders?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

twilkas
Tree Psycho

Skiers vs Snowboarders?

Post by twilkas »

I thought Skiers vs Snowboarders argument was pretty much done, but caught a conversation at a small mountain in CT.

Where would these mountains even be without Snowboarders taking an interest? And it's not as if skiers don't
"scrape all the snow off the hill". What a silly bunch of crap to hear. I truly thought this rhetoric was about done. Guess i'm
a bit naive.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Skiers vs Snowboarders?

Post by hillbangin »

twilkas wrote:I thought Skiers vs Snowboarders argument was pretty much done, but caught a conversation at a small mountain in CT.

Where would these mountains even be without Snowboarders taking an interest? And it's not as if skiers don't
"scrape all the snow off the hill". What a silly bunch of crap to hear. I truly thought this rhetoric was about done. Guess i'm
a bit naive.
No argument.

Sliders trash the hill.

And even expert riders on steep slopes square out the uphill side of the moguls.

To each their own. It's all good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Snowboarding has been on the decline for years . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I think both sports are going downhill...
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bubba wrote: Feb 21st, '21, 11:14 I think both sports are going downhill...
I think it was stupid of Killington not to have a package for single people to learn to ski/ride. That's how you introduce folks to the sport. Plus a single person taking lessons is better than a group taking lessor for an instructor in these days of Covid.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

twilkas wrote: Feb 20th, '21, 20:49 I thought Skiers vs Snowboarders argument was pretty much done. Guess i'm a bit naive.
Yup on naive :roll:

Tom Sims invented the SKIboard in the 60's as a kid.
Note .. he called it a skiboard.
Jake upped the ante after failing as a ski racer.
Snowboarders didn't SAVE the ski industry.
Simply allowed lower point of entry.
Cafeteria trays are even less expensive :idea:

Long Live Mad River Glen !

:seeya
Last edited by brownman on Feb 22nd, '21, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Before snowboarding, skis were straight, skinny planks. They've come a long way in 30 years, from sidecut to rocker to width underfoot, and most of that change was inspired by snowboards. You like how your skies ride today? Thank a snowboarder.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

easyrider16 wrote:Before snowboarding, skis were straight, skinny planks. They've come a long way in 30 years, from sidecut to rocker to width underfoot, and most of that change was inspired by snowboards. You like how your skies ride today? Thank a snowboarder.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/02/ ... ers-fight/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

i see what you did there
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

twilkas wrote: Feb 20th, '21, 20:49 I thought Skiers vs Snowboarders argument was pretty much done, but caught a conversation at a small mountain in CT.

a bit naive.
~90% of skiers and riders on any given saturday make skidded turns instead of carved ones. low skill level doesnt discriminate based on equipment.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 22nd, '21, 21:56
i see what you did there
You belong in Mensa, unless you are already a member.

Quote of the day: I like big butts and I cannot lie. ~ Sir-Mix- Alot
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

tyrolean_skier wrote: Feb 21st, '21, 12:59

I think it was stupid of Killington not to have a package for single people to learn to ski/ride. That's how you introduce folks to the sport. Plus a single person taking lessons is better than a group taking lessor for an instructor in these days of Covid.
I have always thought they should sell a Snowshed/Rams Head only ticket for beginners. When ASC was around we would always take our newbie friends to Sugarbush because they could ride the beginner lift w/o a lift ticket.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

FWIW: I think the snowboarders do much more damage as it is relatively easy for them to learn the "John Deere" bulldozer technique, even on the steeper terrain. I cringe when I see them coming down, for example, Conclusion in a never ending 90 degree to the fall line skid. That doesn't happen with skiers.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

They need to upgrade the lifts to do something like that, I think. That Ramshead lift line blows on weekends, and the Snowshed quad has been pretty backed up, too. On a nice weekend the Snowshed slope looks like an ant farm with so many newbies trying to get down it.

If I were K, my next priority would be a 6 pack at Ramshead with the possibility of developing some hotel or slopeside accommodations in the vicinity. They are so focused on Bear and this village idea that it seems to me they are overlooking the most obvious place to develop. But I guess Bear and the Village are probably more low hanging fruit with less red tape to deal with.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 23rd, '21, 09:21 They need to upgrade the lifts to do something like that, I think. That Ramshead lift line blows on weekends, and the Snowshed quad has been pretty backed up, too. On a nice weekend the Snowshed slope looks like an ant farm with so many newbies trying to get down it.
Upgrading the lift to any higher capacity will just crowd the ants.

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 23rd, '21, 09:21If I were K, my next priority would be a 6 pack at Ramshead with the possibility of developing some hotel or slopeside accommodations in the vicinity. They are so focused on Bear and this village idea that it seems to me they are overlooking the most obvious place to develop. But I guess Bear and the Village are probably more low hanging fruit with less red tape to deal with.
Because it's not K's land for the Village. You need to understand all that history and dynamics. The best solution is in the eyes of the note holder.
Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 23rd, '21, 09:02 FWIW: I think the snowboarders do much more damage as it is relatively easy for them to learn the "John Deere" bulldozer technique, even on the steeper terrain. I cringe when I see them coming down, for example, Conclusion in a never ending 90 degree to the fall line skid. That doesn't happen with skiers.
Foxworthy1.jpg
Foxworthy1.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Not that all snowboarders pave the pow. 3 or 4 pavers on a narrow trail and its all over.