Kudos to Ski Patrol

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

LINYbob
Bumper

Kudos to Ski Patrol

Post by LINYbob »

Yesterday, 3/21, my crew of 5 took our usual first run up the gondola, down Cascade. After we entered Cascade we separated. At the bottom by the runout 3 of us waited for the other 2. They didn't show so we went back to the gondola. Then I got a phone call from one of the 2 remaining crew saying the other guy - 72 yrs old - was missing. He was the last in the crew down once we had entered Cascade. She (crew #4) took the Canyon Quad up to look and we went up in the gondola and skied down Cascade again to assist in looking for him. We thought maybe he had crashed into the woods, except he is an excellent skier.

Unfortunately, at the Cascade/Escapade area we found Ski Patrol working on him with a CPR kit. It was not good. His best friend (#4) broke down and she was totally distraught on the side of the trail. Ski Patrol was excellent and got the victim on a sled and one Patroller straddled him on the sled and rode down to Ramshead giving CPR the whole way. It was incredible how the one lead patroller was able to do that - lower Cascade was not in very good shape and hauling two people down on one sled was amazing. We asked another patroller for a sled for our friend as she was unable to ski at that time. The sled came in a few minutes.

We also learned that they had shut down the gondola and Cascade during that time I guess to prevent people from seeing this scene.

The whole thing was done very professionally and compassionately.

Sadly our friend #5 passed away - we believe he had died shortly after entering Cascade, before he even hit the snow, maybe from a stroke or heart attack, we don't know yet.

At Ramshead we were treated with a lot of understanding. They were all excellent.

I can't believe how quickly they responded - the run down from the Patrollers hut yesterday wasn't that great on Great Northern with the guns going, but it only took them a few minutes to get on scene. And they worked continuously doing CPR on him from Cascade to Ramshead. Really good work.

Thanks Ski Patrol!
mogwai
Green Skidder

Re: Kudos to Ski Patrol

Post by mogwai »

Vibes to all for your loss and accolades to patrol! They are truly under appreciated

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Why don't you go practice falling down, I'll be there in a minute!
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, I can only wish him an eternity of POW laps as it seems he moved on doing what he loved.
Patrol as always, being top notch professionals.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

terrible situation and sorry for your loss. Kudos to K's ski patrol and any ski patrol actually. It is an underappreciated job.

The ski patrol at my local hill had to deal with a nasty situation recently, and I heard similar accolades on their efforts.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

🙏😔🙏
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Our mountain is were many chose to call their final resting place. Riding in the box with your friends before one last lap down Cascade is a fitting ending for a this 100 day diehard.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Lb - Mixed emotions flowing while reading this post. So sorry to hear about your ski bud...that must have been a very tough emotional rollercoaster for you and your group to manage. I really don't even want to imagine. Glad to hear ski patrol was on point...tough pulling positives after going through something like that. Viking funeral pyre on Snowshed Pond?
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

sorry to hear about your friend. at least he went out doing what he loves.

think patrol does a great job day in day out. no surprise they pulled out all the stops for your friend. the work they do is under appreciated until you need them. kudos ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
my poor knees
Green Skidder

Post by my poor knees »

There's something to be said for going out that way, but still sorry to hear that he passed away. You are a very positive person to thank the ski patrol. Amazing that they were able to perform CPR while on a sled going downhill.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

my poor knees wrote:There's something to be said for going out that way, but still sorry to hear that he passed away. You are a very positive person to thank the ski patrol. Amazing that they were able to perform CPR while on a sled going downhill.
Well said. I echo your sentiment.

Sorry to hear of your friend, LINYbob.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Great to hear K Ski Patrol's response was so on point. I know plenty in my area that do so much training, very admirable, and great that you
give ski patrol their due credit.
sorry to hear of the loss, a 100 day guy no less. RIP dude.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I'm so sorry to hear of his loss. Kudos to Ski Patrol for doing a great job trying to save him. Condolences to his family. May he now Rest in Peace.
candle for deceased.jpg
candle for deceased.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

LINYbob .. Terrible to learn of the death of your buddy. :sad:
May he rest in peace in the Hall of Ullr.
Condolences and Best Wishes to all affected.

Thank you to all NSPs for all you do, every day.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Sorry for the loss of your friend. RIP.
If you're going to pass away unexpectedly, i suppose this is a good of a way to go as any.
Yes, Ski patrol and mountain operations are top notch
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

LIB, sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience a number of years ago with my ski house share roommate. He was found lying on the snow on Preston's Pitch. There was a couple with him when I got there, and they were ski patrollers from PA and had already called patrol. One ski patrol showed up just after me and she determined he was under cardiac arrest. She then called for additional help and the calvery showed up. I was asked to hold the sled, which was not easy on a step icy slope. Rather than defibrate there, they decided to load him up and bring him to the aid station in the KBL lodge, a mere 500' away, which is now closed. They worked on him for a long time there. When the ambulance arrived, he was loaded into it and the continued to try and revive him. The ambulance finally left without any lights or siren, and I knew that was not a good sign...
The Killington ski patrol is an amazing group, and it is not a bad idea to have their phone number in your contacts list. You never know when you may need it and time can be very important.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22