WTF is going on in town?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

WTF is going on in town?

Post by wtf021 »

KSAR get disbanded, softball gets cancelled, 25 firefighters quit or get fired and we are getting a new town manager.

https://mountaintimes.info/25-depart-ki ... xp08t0KRro

https://mountaintimes.info/killington-n ... ELio-z4OLU
Last edited by wtf021 on Jun 14th, '23, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: WTF is going on in town?

Post by Bubba »

wtf021 wrote: Jun 14th, '23, 15:55 KSAR get disbanded, softball get cancelled, 25 firefighters quit or get fired and we are getting a new town manager.

The only thing there that makes any sense is Chet moving back to Public Works and taking over the implementation of TIF related projects.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Chet. Count yer fingers after shakin his hand. Any other town would have sent this napeleonic prick packin. LaHart that is. Nah. Chet too…
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Bubba wrote: Jun 14th, '23, 15:58
wtf021 wrote: Jun 14th, '23, 15:55 KSAR get disbanded, softball get cancelled, 25 firefighters quit or get fired and we are getting a new town manager.

The only thing there that makes any sense is Chet moving back to Public Works and taking over the implementation of TIF related projects.
So what’s your comment/opinion on the other article - not just that it does not make any sense!?!
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

So what is happening in K?
These two articles are just upsetting.

The select board are supposed represent the town people not themselves.
Who’s really in charge?

From a Human Resources perspective this appears to be
A dysfunction situation.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

as an actual local ive been following the story now for a couple months and it sounds like the new fire chief is a f*** asshole. dont know him, never met him, but hear things through the grapevine, including a queer friend quitting because he found it to be an unwelcoming and unsafe environment. for 25 people to quit... sounds like the fire chief has got to go. if i were a killington resident id be raising holy hell to get this guy fired - he's a f*** liability for taxpayers just based on his management, forget the safety concerns of a collapsing department for town residents and visitors.

on the killington locals page (im not on facebook, but its public so i browse from time to time) there's a recent post about this, and in one of the comments is a screenshot of a homophobic comment made by the deputy as well. a paid employee of the town should not be posting discriminatory nonsense.

also WHAT THE f*** IS THE WIFE DOING FOLLOWING HER HUSBAND TO WORK AND PRETENDING TO BE AN EMPLOYEE? i mean seriously, what the f***? how does this guy still have a job?!?! if any of us pulled half the sh*t he has we would be fired in a heartbeat.

also, somewhat related, a whole slew of veteran full time ski patrollers arent coming back next year or are only coming in very part time. mainly related to pay but also opportunities for advancement and being passed over for promotions...
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Jun 14th, '23, 17:21 as an actual local ive been following the story now for a couple months and it sounds like the new fire chief is a f*** asshole. dont know him, never met him, but hear things through the grapevine, including a queer friend quitting because he found it to be an unwelcoming and unsafe environment. for 25 people to quit... sounds like the fire chief has got to go. if i were a killington resident id be raising holy hell to get this guy fired - he's a f*** liability for taxpayers just based on his management, forget the safety concerns of a collapsing department for town residents and visitors.

on the killington locals page (im not on facebook, but its public so i browse from time to time) there's a recent post about this, and in one of the comments is a screenshot of a homophobic comment made by the deputy as well. a paid employee of the town should not be posting discriminatory nonsense.

also WHAT THE f*** IS THE WIFE DOING FOLLOWING HER HUSBAND TO WORK AND PRETENDING TO BE AN EMPLOYEE? i mean seriously, what the f***? how does this guy still have a job?!?! if any of us pulled half the sh*t he has we would be fired in a heartbeat.

also, somewhat related, a whole slew of veteran full time ski patrollers arent coming back next year or are only coming in very part time. mainly related to pay but also opportunities for advancement and being passed over for promotions...
I've heard the homophobic complaint privately as well, along with all the other information that is public.

As for my personal point of view, I expected the Selectboard back in March to publicly back the Chief after the KSAR debacle but to at least say publicly that they take allegations of misogynistic practices seriously. The Board did not, at least from the Mountain Times article back then. The Chief then sent a cease and desist letter and signed it Chief rather than just using his name, thus making it seem as if it was an action on behalf of the Town. That should've drawn at least a reprimand from the Selectboard or the Town Manager. At least publicly, it did not. Now we have a good chunk of the volunteer fire department throwing in the towel. If the Selectboard doesn't recognize this as a response to the Chief's behavior and merely continues to explain the complaints as "transition issues" or the like, they have their heads in the sand or up their collective asses. I have yet to meet one person in town who has anything good to say about the new Chief, outside of the Selectboard and the Town Manager who continue to support him. At some point, it would be wise for them to recognize that they made a mistake and send him on his way.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

With Chet at the towns helm?… we have the Reverse Midas Touch:….. everything he touches turns to sh*t. I personally wouldn’t vote this man for Urinal Cake Inspector. The fish does rot from the head down…. And he owns this catastrophe. Both have to go….
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Emergency Selectboard meeting on personnel this morning. Hmmmm…..

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Beat me to it. Tar and Feathers….. Aisle Three….
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Ultimately the buck stops with the selectboard and they need to fix this. You remove him, get those firefighters back in the short term, and deal with any wrongful termination litigation in the long run. Emotions aside it sounds like this guy has become a liability to residents.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

And now we don't have a fire chief.

https://mountaintimes.info/killington-f ... signation/
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

wtf021 wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 13:06 And now we don't have a fire chief.

https://mountaintimes.info/killington-f ... signation/
Heard about it this morning but wasn't sure it was true until now. Thanks for posting.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hopefully they can promote someone from within - i remember reading a longtime firefighter was interested in the chief position and they picked this asshole instead. although maybe that person would no longer want it or perhaps it would be too much drama with all the history behind it now.

i wasnt surprised that there was turnover with new processes and people not liking them, but to lose 25 people? definitely a management issue and not just transition pains. glad hes gone.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 17:57 hopefully they can promote someone from within - i remember reading a longtime firefighter was interested in the chief position and they picked this asshole instead. although maybe that person would no longer want it or perhaps it would be too much drama with all the history behind it now.

i wasnt surprised that there was turnover with new processes and people not liking them, but to lose 25 people? definitely a management issue and not just transition pains. glad hes gone.
Hopefully a lot of those who left will now return.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald