Music Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Music Thread

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Figure until we get a separate forum, we could just use this thread.

Anyone ever listen to Matisyahu? Kind of a reggae, grass roots, rap mix type stuff. Pretty decent if you like that stuff....just listened to <edited>*him the first time today.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=14225079

Short Bio:
Combining the sounds of Bob Marley and Shlomo Carlebach, yet remaining wholly original, Matisyahu's performance is an uplifting, powerful experience for all in his presence. His new album, Youth, is a compelling mix of ancient and modern sounds and ideas. The propulsive title track, with its rallying cry "youth is the engine of the world," draws upon Matisyahu's studies of Chabad Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneersohn – as well as his own tumultuous past. "When teenagers rebel, the reason is because there is something wrong. Not with them, but with the environment around them. That song is about making the transition from being an angry teenager, to actually becoming a grown man or a woman, changing yourself and the system around you."
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Feb 2nd, '06, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Not a them. A him. Have a live CD of his. Initially thought it was a joke - the guy is Hasidic, who ever heard of Reggae singing Hasid?

No joke. The guy has major chops.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

RipeBanana
Slalom Racer

Re: Music Thread

Post by RipeBanana »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Figure until we get a separate forum, we could just use this thread.

Anyone ever listen to Matisyahu? Kind of a reggae, grass roots, rap mix type stuff. Pretty decent if you like that stuff....just listened to them the first time today.

Short Bio:
Combining the sounds of Bob Marley and Shlomo Carlebach, yet remaining wholly original, Matisyahu's performance is an uplifting, powerful experience for all in his presence. His new album, Youth, is a compelling mix of ancient and modern sounds and ideas. The propulsive title track, with its rallying cry "youth is the engine of the world," draws upon Matisyahu's studies of Chabad Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneersohn – as well as his own tumultuous past. "When teenagers rebel, the reason is because there is something wrong. Not with them, but with the environment around them. That song is about making the transition from being an angry teenager, to actually becoming a grown man or a woman, changing yourself and the system around you."
He was just in Killington about 2-3 weeks ago.
Two sniffs, a snort, a fly, a turn and a grunt; and it was so simple like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:Not a them. A him. Have a live CD of his. Initially thought it was a joke - the guy is Hasidic, who ever heard of Reggae singing Hasid?

Live at Stubb's?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Music Thread

RipeBanana wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Figure until we get a separate forum, we could just use this thread.

Anyone ever listen to Matisyahu? Kind of a reggae, grass roots, rap mix type stuff. Pretty decent if you like that stuff....just listened to them the first time today.

Short Bio:
He was just in Killington about 2-3 weeks ago.
Dang...just missed him
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Not a them. A him. Have a live CD of his. Initially thought it was a joke - the guy is Hasidic, who ever heard of Reggae singing Hasid?

I'm hip to him.. Really religious... Not down with weed snmoking...

He being into reggae isn't a strech for me... Rastafarians actually follow Kosher laws and are heavy into the Old Testiment stuff...

That being said... He's awesome...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
RipeBanana
Slalom Racer

Post by RipeBanana »

DMC Freeride wrote:

He being into reggae isn't a strech for me... Rastafarians actually follow Kosher laws and are heavy into the Old Testiment stuff...

Yeah, there's some real interesting parallels between Rastafarianism and Judaism. A lot of people believe that Ethiopia is the home of one of the lost Jewish tribes - Beta Israel. Haile Selassie actually fled to Jerusalem when the Italians invaded Ethiopia...
Two sniffs, a snort, a fly, a turn and a grunt; and it was so simple like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

RipeBanana wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

Yeah, there's some real interesting parallels between Rastafarianism and Judaism. A lot of people believe that Ethiopia is the home of one of the lost Jewish tribes - Beta Israel. Haile Selassie actually fled to Jerusalem when the Italians invaded Ethiopia...
When the Ethiopian Princess Sheeba visited King Solomon in Isreal - He wanted to do her - she said NO!...
Solomon told her - OK - but if you take something of mine - i can take something of yours...
That night he caught her drinking water from his well.. And promptly had sex with her because she took his water...

She went back to Ethiopia and gave birth.. Haile Sellasie I is a direct descent of that child and thus Solomon...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
RipeBanana
Slalom Racer

Post by RipeBanana »

DMC Freeride wrote:
RipeBanana wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

When the Ethiopian Princess Sheeba visited King Solomon in Isreal - He wanted to do her - she said NO!...
Solomon told her - OK - but if you take something of mine - i can take something of yours...
That night he caught her drinking water from his well.. And promptly had sex with her because she took his water...

She went back to Ethiopia and gave birth.. Haile Sellasie I is a direct descent of that child and thus Solomon...
That's beautiful man
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

RipeBanana wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
RipeBanana wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

That's beautiful man
At least thats what a Rasta friend of mine told me...
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

DMC Freeride wrote: That night he caught her drinking water from his well.. And promptly had sex with her because she took his water ...
note to self - do not drink DMC's water
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

anyone listen to any social distortion? just downloaded some of their shows, been rockin out for a couple days now...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

johnny the jibber wrote:anyone listen to any social distortion? just downloaded some of their shows, been rockin out for a couple days now...
post some links :D Myspace is great for music links.

Social Distortion:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=12062153

Good party/drinking music :D ::adds to list::
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

just go to

www.dimeadozen.org

you'll need a bittorrent client to download, then another program to decode from shn. or flac.

everthing can be found here.

www.etree.org

use flac frontend for flac and mkwact for shn.

these will convert to wav files for listening.

also this site has good hippy tunes

http://db.etree.org
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

johnny the jibber wrote:anyone listen to any social distortion? just downloaded some of their shows, been rockin out for a couple days now...
Got one of their CDs - good stuff....
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”