Opening Day Report - Pics Added

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Steve was there opening day last year, Thanksgiving day, and as I recall he was in a much better mood.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

Mister Moose wrote:Steve was there opening day last year, Thanksgiving day, and as I recall he was in a much better mood.
Thanks..

These miserable bastards drove me out of Killington - the mountain I love - show me a person who thinks I've going to leave quietly, and I'll show you a person who has another thing coming.

FWIW, I have trips to Mammoth and Montana already planned, season passes at three eastern ski areas, and a ski-vermont pass.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Bubba wrote:It is different from past years in a few ways....

- No buzz
- No crowd
- More base depth and better overall coverage

The combination of base and few people probably makes today's conditions better than they would have been had ASC opened under similar weather conditions due to the fact that there would've been a lot less base to begin with but, having said that, they should've opened last weekend nonetheless.
You forgot one other Bubba based on your pics and description: LESS $$ made at the ticket window!

On the flip side, this below is from this weeks issue of the Deerfield Valley News:

"According to Mount Snow general manager Kelly Pawlak, this was the busiest she’s ever seen an opening weekend.

“This was definitely our largest opening day crowd. Because we were the first to open in Vermont we had a lot of people visiting Mount Snow who had never visited the valley before. (I’d say) we were up about 500% to previous opening days,” said Pawlak. “Opening Carinthia with 10 features in a terrain park on lower Long John worked to our advantage and skiers and riders were on their cell phones, snapping pictures, and created a viral wave that brought even more people on Sunday.”

Pawlak was amazed by all the positive response. She’s received dozens of positive comments and the extra business trickled down to others in the area. “The Lodge at Mount Snow said they had a group book after the announcement on Friday. They reported back to me on Saturday and said they had good things to say about the snow and that many of them were Killington skiers and riders,” said Pawlak.

Media coverage of the early opening has been extensive and the story was picked up by AP, USA Today, the Boston Globe, several TV stations, and online forums including Yahoo News. Overall, Mount Snow management was very pleased and Pawlak believes the extra media attention will help out the valley in the short term and long term."

Quality product :wink:
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mister Moose wrote:Steve was there opening day last year, Thanksgiving day, and as I recall he was in a much better mood.
In addition, while I think his mood sucks :wink: he also has the courage of his convictions and has decided to vote with his wallet and go elsewhere this season.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

Bubba wrote:
In addition, while I think his mood sucks :wink: he also has the courage of his convictions and has decided to vote with his wallet and go elsewhere this season.
yeah, but he left his mouth behind! :)
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Can't see the pics added here, but the one's on killington.com look pretty good.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DrJeff wrote:
Bubba wrote:It is different from past years in a few ways....

- No buzz
- No crowd
- More base depth and better overall coverage

The combination of base and few people probably makes today's conditions better than they would have been had ASC opened under similar weather conditions due to the fact that there would've been a lot less base to begin with but, having said that, they should've opened last weekend nonetheless.
You forgot one other Bubba based on your pics and description: LESS $$ made at the ticket window!

On the flip side, this below is from this weeks issue of the Deerfield Valley News:

"According to Mount Snow general manager Kelly Pawlak, this was the busiest she’s ever seen an opening weekend.

“This was definitely our largest opening day crowd. Because we were the first to open in Vermont we had a lot of people visiting Mount Snow who had never visited the valley before. (I’d say) we were up about 500% to previous opening days,” said Pawlak. “Opening Carinthia with 10 features in a terrain park on lower Long John worked to our advantage and skiers and riders were on their cell phones, snapping pictures, and created a viral wave that brought even more people on Sunday.”

Pawlak was amazed by all the positive response. She’s received dozens of positive comments and the extra business trickled down to others in the area. “The Lodge at Mount Snow said they had a group book after the announcement on Friday. They reported back to me on Saturday and said they had good things to say about the snow and that many of them were Killington skiers and riders,” said Pawlak.

Media coverage of the early opening has been extensive and the story was picked up by AP, USA Today, the Boston Globe, several TV stations, and online forums including Yahoo News. Overall, Mount Snow management was very pleased and Pawlak believes the extra media attention will help out the valley in the short term and long term."

Quality product :wink:
That is what new ownership apparently doesn't understand. Maybe they will now. Hope springs eternal....
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

got out late, around 11. the snow was nice, a bit scratched off in spots, but it seemed to hold up better than previous years. cruised great northern, rime, chute and a few others. no real crowds or liftlines to speak of. the guns were blowing really nice dry snow. saw a bunch of friends. rode with junior and gangsta, and a rare gondi ride with Dis. all in all it was a good day. anyone who is questioning the snow, or the late opening needs to let it go and try and get out skiing. lifts are open, so sack up...

steve, you should have gotten a killington pass...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

I heard that the Dis was talking about me...

Did he comment on your figure in the Gondola?
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

johnny the jibber wrote:steve, you should have gotten a killington pass...
remind me of that when i'm skiing mammoth next month.
(edit to add: .... with the money i saved by not buying a pass at killington)
Last edited by Steve on Nov 16th, '07, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Steve wrote:
did you get a mammoth season pass or just goin to visit for a few days?
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

johnny the jibber wrote:
Steve wrote:
did you get a mammoth season pass or just goin to visit for a few days?
mtn creek season pass ($199) gets me 10 50% tickets at mammoth.

called mtn creek today, they open december 8th..
Gimp
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gimp »

Steve - can you say "sour grapes??!" You are so damn negitive even though you say you LOVE Killington...
Steve wrote:
(edit to add: .... with the money i saved by not buying a pass at killington)
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

Well I for one had a great day 1!

I woke up like a kid on Xmas morning and packed the car.
Ate breakfast and drove the kid to school and was parked by 8:30.

Saw plenty of people on the K1 line, but NO ONE on the triple.
Sweet. I got on line and only about a half dozen people were there when they dropped the rope at 9:03.

As I settled into the chair I was astounded to see that my chairmate was Rick Torrey.
I should have been a shrink because people love to talk to me.
I heard his excuse; it's not any of my business, and I wasn't about to let anything dampen my stoke.

Exited the chair and headed towards Upper Bunny Buster.
First tracks on opening day baby!
I was very happy to see that I could still link turns.
Mouse Trap was fun in the guns and Lower Bunny was in pretty soft and happy shape.

Up the empty triple for a Mouse Run->Chute-> Lower Bunny run and then had to head home for a conference call and some associated work.

I was waylaid by the magic bus some friends had parked in Bay 1, but still made it home in time.

After lunch I headed back and rode the K1.
Upper GE was turning into dog food.
I enjoyed myself in the Glades for a couple of runs and then headed back down.
Things were getting slick and I was glad to have the Tornados and not the B2s.
Chute was only open from the mixing bowl to the bowling alley, so everyone was funneling down Lower Bunny.
By 2:30 it was icy and the most crowded run (but still not very) I skied all day.
Some more hospitality on the bus (good chili!) and back to work.

No money spent.
My legs hurt, but it's a good hurt.

Hats off to the Special Blend folks (or as my buddies say "Balls Deep Inc.") for the DVD hit-off.
Last edited by Keithus on Nov 16th, '07, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

Gimp wrote:Steve - can you say "sour grapes??!" You are so damn negitive even though you say you LOVE Killington...
Gimp, can you say, "No balls??!" If you have something to say to me, don't hide behind an alias.