What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Re-reading Richard Bach's Stranger to the Ground. Along with
St. Exupery's Wind, Sand and Stars it's one of the best airplane books that's about much more than airplanes ever written
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I finished "Liberty" by Coonts some time ago and I found my lost book "September" by Rosamunde Pilcher and have been reading it whenever I get a chance. Hope to finish it soon and start another book. I have so many unread books awaiting.

Anyone else read anything recently?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I just pulled out "The Complete Sherlock Holmes". It has all the short stories and Hound of the Baskervilles. I read it about once every decade.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Finished Gone with the Wind a few weeks ago. Re-reading that brings a new appreciation for theh
southern perspective.

In keeping with the theme of The South, re-reading The Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is amazing.
After reading this I'm going for a re-read of
Beach Music and then will tackle The Great Santini for the first time.

Also reading Hidden History of NH which is just a collection of vignettes and anecdotes
about the state. Lots of interesting and some amusing info contained in it.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Re reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War", Haruki Murakami's "Norweigan Wood" - which I started a year ago but never finished
and "Faust in Copenhangen" which I also started but never finished.

MarieM wrote: In keeping with the theme of The South, re-reading The Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is amazing.

I love "The Great Santini". The book was awesome as was the movie. Robert Duvall killed as Bull Meecham.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Re reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War", Haruki Murakami's "Norweigan Wood" - which I started a year ago but never finished

MarieM wrote: In keeping with the theme of The South, re-reading The Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is amazing.

I love "The Great Santini". The book was awesome as was the movie. Robert Duvall killed as Bull Meecham.
And Nick Nolte as Tom Wingo in The Prince of Tides is spot-on as well. Still trying to get a handle on
Barbara Streisand as the beautiful psychiatrist.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Re reading Sun Tzu's "Art of War", Haruki Murakami's "Norweigan Wood" - which I started a year ago but never finished

And Nick Nolte as Tom Wingo in The Prince of Tides is spot-on as well. Still trying to get a handle on
Beauty is only skin deep :wink: :seeya
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

MrsG wrote:
MarieM wrote:

Beauty is only skin deep :wink: :seeya
No argument from me on that one. : - )
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Hey...it's been a crazy few weeks. At my busiest time of the year, we lost power due to the ice storm; plus two wakes/funerals,
plus tons of holiday social obligations. My personal reading has taken a way back seat...but yesterday got back to Pat Conroy.
I think you would love "The Prince of Tides." You can practically smell the marsh from his descriptions.

Off on a road trip today...MD via Albany, but will have some nice time at the lake next week.
"The Prince of Tides" AND "The Great Santini" will be done before I finally go back to work. (And maybe
"The Shack as well. That has been recommended to me. And "The Friday Night Knitting Club." I better hustle!!)
Thank you for the recommendation.

A little bit of skiing will be in the mix as well...of course...

Happy New Year to you and yours!! :- )
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

MarieM wrote:In keeping with the theme of The South, re-reading The Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is amazing.
[/quote]

I love Pat Conroy. The Prince of Tides (my favorite) and all is others before are fantastic reads. Loved The Great Santini and Robert Duval was amazing in the film. Beach Music was great! Found it to be one of his most disturbing ones, but like all his others -- my outside world was on pause until I finished which ever Conroy book I was reading. Darn, now I'm going to have to pull one of my Conroy books out.

EDIT: Sorry Big K, you beat me to the punch regarding The Great Santini
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Skibumtress wrote:
MarieM wrote:In keeping with the theme of The South, re-reading The Prince of Tides. Pat Conroy is amazing.
I love Pat Conroy. The Prince of Tides (my favorite) and all is others before are fantastic reads. Loved The Great Santini and Robert Duval was amazing in the film. Beach Music was great! Found it to be one of his most disturbing ones, but like all his others -- my outside world was on pause until I finished which ever Conroy book I was reading. Darn, now I'm going to have to pull one of my Conroy books out.

EDIT: Sorry Big K, you beat me to the punch regarding The Great Santini[/quote]

Maybe in-between skiing next week...! Lucky....!! : - )
Skiume
Bumper

Post by Skiume »

Guns, germs, and steel : [the fates of human societies] / Jared Diamond.
" a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - Shakespeare
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I finally finished "September" by Rosamunde Pilcher. I plan on reading "The Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy next.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Just finished BLINK. The authors point was known after the first chapter, but repeated over and over again to create a book. Not that great.

Now it's on to Generation Debt. Great book so far!!!! Shows how our country has moved to a spend, spend, spend model of living.

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Outliers
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe