Friday report . . .

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Friday report . . .

Post by MrsG »

. . . after taking the day off yesterday, it felt good to get out there again today!! Best snow was on any trail where they were making snow or made snow. Bear finally had more than one trail open from mid-mountain . . . Upper Wildfire had snowmaking and nice soft bumps, lower Wildfire, Skyburst and Grizzly slick in spots, but plenty of snow to be found. Superstar had snowmaking top to bottom - headwall a bit slick at the very top but once over the edge, it was skiable . . . Skylark and Bittersweet OK too . . . Bunny/Mousetrap - Chute . . . all good. Started to get a bit scratchy and crowded at noon . . . so, headed out - oh, and it started snowing then too:)
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Re: Friday report . . .

Post by skiingsnow »

Hundreds of guns blazing all over the place!!!

Snowmaking underway on Upper Great Eastern, Lower Great Eastern, Yodeler, Upper Wildfire, Superstar top to bottom, and more!

80 guns pumping out the goods on Superstar top to bottom!

Snowmaking underway on Great Eastern all the way down to Skyeship Base!!

The bridge over East Mountain Road that carries skiers and riders down to Skyeship Base, guns blazing all over Great Eastern!

Guns going strong on the upper areas of Skye Peak, facing Bear Mountain.

Several guns blazing on Yodeler

Snowmaking going strong at Killington Resort!
gotanygum?
Black Carver

Post by gotanygum? »

Thanks SS. Good to have you back.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

what mrsg said.....only skied the trail they made snow on, WF, SS, plenty of good snow to be found. SRT was also running today. felt balmy out after the last couple days.

as i ride up the OL lift, i keep thinking they should be blasting OL with snow...depressing.
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

whiteout wrote:what mrsg said.....only skied the trail they made snow on, WF, SS, plenty of good snow to be found. SRT was also running today. felt balmy out after the last couple days.

as i ride up the OL lift, i keep thinking they should be blasting OL with snow...depressing.
Unfortunately, Killington needed to resurface things more than they needed to get OL going. What we really need is some F-ing snow!

I thought Superstar and Wildfire were pretty good. Other than one run on Wednesday, I hadn't bothered going out since last weekend. I don't quite understand why they're not running the Barney Room in KBL. The lodge was jammed and the happy hour band set up in Mahogany Ridge. It's like they're training people to leave Killington and do their apres ski down the hill.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Started skiing around 9am. Snowdon and the Canyon area nice snow. ROTD Cascade. Worst runs, after 2pm at Bear. Every trail except the The Stash was very icy, skied off, and crowded.
Skiers are still confused as how to get out of Bear. We need a big sign at the new chair telling skiers this is the only chair out. No wonder the line was long.

Okay skiingsnow where are the snow guns. K needs to make snow on the trails that get lots of traffic like bitter sweet, skylark etc.

A great day to ski.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

finn wrote:
Okay skiingsnow where are the snow guns. K needs to make snow on the trails that get lots of traffic like bitter sweet, skylark etc.
Snowmaking expands onto Conclusion tonight. Look for snowmaking to resurface other terrain tomorrow/tomorrow night...

Lower Bittersweet was resurfaced a couple days ago. Lower Skye Lark a little before that.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I don't mind enthusiasm or photos, but why is every single photo of snow guns, none of you skiing,or your friends skiing, or even a description of conditions? And this phrase:
skippysnow wrote:Snowmaking going strong at Killington Resort!
This sounds like pure marketing speak. Who else calls it Killington Resort?

You aren't being completely honest with us.... but I'm being reduntant again.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Mister Moose wrote:I don't mind enthusiasm or photos, but why is every single photo of snow guns, none of you skiing,or your friends skiing, or even a description of conditions? And this phrase:
skippysnow wrote:Snowmaking going strong at Killington Resort!
This sounds like pure marketing speak. Who else calls it Killington Resort?

You aren't being completely honest with us.... but I'm being reduntant again.
I have a blackout pass, so I was not skiing today.

I went for a drive to the base of every mountain to see what snowmaking was taking place, as there has been limited reporting on this, and people have been posting how they are "cutting back". Rogman reported that Superstar, well hold on, these are his words:
Rogman wrote:This morning I did a head count of snow making guns. Saw about 15 on upper Wild Fire, 1 on Cruise Control, 2 at the base of Needles, and about 40 on Superstar top to bottom. About 60 guns. Nowhere near capacity, and weather is ideal.
With that I headed up to see what was really going on, and as I knew, they are making snow on far more terrain and with far more guns than Rogman had reported.

After posting the pics however, Rogman has posted this:
Rogman wrote:Skyewalker, GE upper and lower do not have snowmaking at this time. They did a few days ago....They have cut back
:?c :?c

So yes, that is why I went and took pics of snowmaking, and sharing them with those who are not here, and are listening to incorrect information posted by other users. . . .

I am not a Killington employee.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiingsnow wrote: I am not a Killington employee.

But do you recieve any compensation, favors, cash or non cash, of any kind?
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Mister Moose wrote:

No.

If I did, I would be skiing!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiingsnow wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

No.

If I did, I would be skiing!
So on a day when you cannot ski, you spend your own time and gas money to drive around and take photos of snowmaking, then post the photos on a public forum in a manner that promotes goodwill and puts a positive spin on events.

I'm pretty sure that meets the standard for reasonable doubt.

*Edit: I'm also pretty sure Rogman knows how to count to 40.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

SS, first of all, Happy New Year, secondly, even I think you've gone a little too far with the cheerleading this time :?c . . . stuff needs to be done on the mountain :seeya
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

Skiingsnow,

The days I have skied at K this season, your reports have been spot on. I can't think of any other mountain where someone is posting a daily report as detailed as yours. Before I invest 4 plus hours driving to get to K and back in a day, I make certain to read your reports. Your daily posts are a public service. Ignore the critics and please keep on posting!
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

MrsG wrote:SS, first of all, Happy New Year, secondly, even I think you've gone a little too far with the cheerleading this time :?c . . . stuff needs to be done on the mountain :seeya
Happy New Year to you too!!!!

After reading a suspect report of limited snowmaking, reportedly only around 60 guns, I took a look for myself, and sharing what it is that I found. Snowmaking is being expanded onto other terrain, and that will continue to happen.