Who's got the best Hefe?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Skibumtress wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:I'm on my 3rd bottle of Killian's Irish Red. Does that count for anything??
Make that 4th.....

Are you up to the 5th yet? :wink:
not on a school night. :D
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

I just saw that sam adams makes one too. never had a "hefe". what's it compare too anyway. fwiw i picked up a 6 of the sam black lager. I am a creature of habit though. sam sam and more sam adams.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

2knees wrote:I just saw that sam adams makes one too. never had a "hefe". what's it compare too anyway. fwiw i picked up a 6 of the sam black lager. I am a creature of habit though. sam sam and more sam adams.
Its kind of sweet, there are some belgian whites that taste a bit like a hefe. Give it a whirl.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

while we are on the subject of beer. I'm gettin hammered tonight and want to apologize in advance for anything i may post later. now i must go punch in for work.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

I tasted Iron Hill's hefe today (just a taste) and it was very cloudy and had a spicy finish.....not bad, don't know if I could drink a whole glass tho.
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

2knees wrote:I just saw that sam adams makes one too. never had a "hefe". what's it compare too anyway. fwiw i picked up a 6 of the sam black lager. I am a creature of habit though. sam sam and more sam adams.
Actually, we've been purchasing the "mixed" 12 pack of Sam's . . . and there are a few "hefe"'s in there . . . and I like them . . . I will now check out others too!!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I thought this was about who had the best Boss. or is that Jefe... Hefe... one of those.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

jenscats5 wrote:I tasted Iron Hill's hefe today (just a taste) and it was very cloudy and had a spicy finish.....not bad, don't know if I could drink a whole glass tho.
I had that a couple of weeks ago at the Media Iron Hill. I had a sampler of 8 different ones. Media makes good stuff. They even offered some of the yeast that they use if I wanted to start a batch of my own. That's a good brewpub :D

You get used to wheat beers after a while. It's usually a summer thirst quencher. Give it a chance, it'll replace your Coors Light :wink:

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

2knees wrote:while we are on the subject of beer. I'm gettin hammered tonight and want to apologize in advance for anything i may post later. now i must go punch in for work.
I forgive you in advance.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I'e tried Harpoon's Hefe - UFO. Didn't think it was anything special. So I looked it up...

Hefeweizen
"Hefe" means yeast, "Weizen" means wheat. Hefeweizen is a top fermented, unfiltered, bottle conditioned wheat beer with a noticeable yeast sediment and a cloudy appearance. Wheat beers are also referred to as Weissbiers (white beers) because before the invention of pale lagers and pale ales, most beers were dark. Wheat beers were the exception as the wheat content lightened the colour of the beer.

Hefeweizens are usually quite sweet and fruity, with a full body. The typical hefeweizen taste, which distinguishes it from its Belgian wheat beer cousins is produced by the types of yeast used in Bavaria. There are often medicinal or clove flavours, produced by chemicals called phenols engendered by the yeast. Other chemicals produced by the yeast, called esters, produce bubble gum, banana and vanilla flavours. Esters are also used in sweets like pear drops or fruit gums. Hefeweizens are very lightly hopped so have little bitterness and harshness. The ratio of wheat to barley malt used is commonly around 50:50 but the wheat portion may rise to as much as 70%. German wheat beer brewers don't (with the exception of Gose) add coriander or other botanicals to their beer as the Belgian brewers do.

Hefeweizen should be poured smoothly into a tilted, rinsed glass. Pause when there's about a quarter of the bottle left, swirl the bottle to lift the sediment, then pour the rest into the glass to give a big, fragrant head and release the yeast into the beer to give it its cloudy appearance. The glass should be a Franziskaner glass — tall and graceful, with a narrow base widening toward the top before narrowing slightly again. I've never seen a German add a slice of lemon to a Weissbier but apparently some do. In my opinion it's an abomination. I think it ruins the taste of the beer and the acidity of the lemon kills the head. I can see the point of adding a wedge of lime to Corona because the taste of the beer is so vapid that the zest of the lime is a welcome reminder that your taste buds are still working, but decent beers shouldn't need a fruit garnish, in my humble opinion.

http://www.germanbeerguide.co.uk/hefeweiz.html
If you want to read more. I never got Corona thing either. Pour me a Sammy Smith. Or my new love, Dogfish IPA
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Mister Moose wrote:I'e tried Harpoon's Hefe - UFO. Didn't think it was anything special. So I looked it up...
I like the UFO, but i would not say that it represents the typical hefe, much more of a bitter taste then the normal hefe.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Mtn Man wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:I tasted Iron Hill's hefe today (just a taste) and it was very cloudy and had a spicy finish.....not bad, don't know if I could drink a whole glass tho.
I had that a couple of weeks ago at the Media Iron Hill. I had a sampler of 8 different ones. Media makes good stuff. They even offered some of the yeast that they use if I wanted to start a batch of my own. That's a good brewpub :D

You get used to wheat beers after a while. It's usually a summer thirst quencher. Give it a chance, it'll replace your Coors Light :wink:

B)
I can't believe you said that..... so rude....
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

jenscats5 wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:

B)
Hey, just stating a SJ, Philly, Del fact. That sells more than Dud down there.

And yes, I'm rude :P
And sometimes lewd......

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Mtn Man wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:

B)
Hey, just stating a SJ, Philly, Del fact. That sells more than Dud down there.

And yes, I'm rude :P
And sometimes lewd......

B)
Pfft!! Telling me I drink Coors Light!! What's wrong with you??

You had a perfectly good post to mess with & you go with Coors Light??

Hmpf!

:roll: