Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Low Rider
Black Carver

Re: Killington going cashless

Post by Low Rider »

Mister Moose wrote: Nov 19th, '22, 18:18
boston_e wrote: Nov 19th, '22, 17:51
winter wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 14:09 I hate having a big wallet skiing. ID, CC, Insurance, and pass. Done.
Right, nobody wants a George Costanza Wallet - but 5 20s folded into a ridge or air tag type of wallet adds nothing to the bulkiness.
I go one better. Insurance and drivers license on my cell phone. Originals stay in my street wallet. Credit card, some access road cards and currency wrapped around the cards with a fat rubber band. Pass in a different pocket. Even 10-15 bills folded is still very thin and light.
Season pass in little coat sleeve pass holding pocket just above the wrist. Drivers License, Credit/Debit Card, cash folded over license and card with a money clip in my ski pants pocket. As slim as can be. Agree that a few bills don't add anything to the bulkiness. Any coins from change historically left as part of a tip.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

TheLurker wrote: Nov 11th, '22, 15:41 Apple Cash may be a fairly painless option for those with kids who have iPhones.
Appreciate the idea. This is the route i went and set it up for my kids. I still don't like the privacy issues and that they will get their purchases tracked etc (Was it George Orwell who predicted big brother?) but at least they have a way to buy lunch or a hot chocolate if they need to on the mountain.

I still view it as a reduction in customer service on Killingtons part and much prefer cash (or if they still had the resort charge feature with the passes - it is weird to get rid of that and go cashless at the same time), but it is what it is.
Don't Killington Pico
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

They got rid of the resort charge two years ago. The reasoning I got when I emailed them was they changed credit card processor's and the new one couldn't do it. Pretty weak.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

boston_e wrote: Nov 30th, '22, 08:43
TheLurker wrote: Nov 11th, '22, 15:41 Apple Cash may be a fairly painless option for those with kids who have iPhones.
Appreciate the idea. This is the route i went and set it up for my kids. I still don't like the privacy issues and that they will get their purchases tracked etc (Was it George Orwell who predicted big brother?) but at least they have a way to buy lunch or a hot chocolate if they need to on the mountain.

I still view it as a reduction in customer service on Killingtons part and much prefer cash (or if they still had the resort charge feature with the passes - it is weird to get rid of that and go cashless at the same time), but it is what it is.
surprised they went in that direction but think it's more a continuation of covid fallout than a "reduction" in service. many folks went cashless at least for a while and i was happy not to have to deal with it.

overall the industry is moving in that direction. believe vail started last season. agree losing the resort charge feature with the passes for whatever doesn't make sense particularly if you're gonna go cashless but think we see that return at some point.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

From an operational perspective, not having to deal with cash is huge. No cash drawers, no needing a manager to cash out/in, less theft, faster transactions, etc. The managers now can focus more time on other things like training and providing a better experience, etc. From the customer end, I definitely understand the argument that it is a reduction of services, because it is.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

I love that Killington is taking time to develop programs for those struggling to deal with the cashless situation.

Kudos Mike!
Attachments
cashless.jpeg
cashless.jpeg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Low Rider wrote: Nov 20th, '22, 12:10
winter wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 14:09 I hate having a big wallet skiing. ID, CC, Insurance, and pass. Done.
Right, nobody wants a George Costanza Wallet - but 5 20s folded into a ridge or air tag type of wallet adds nothing to the bulkiness.
I go one better. Insurance and drivers license on my cell phone. Originals stay in my street wallet. Credit card, some access road cards and currency wrapped around the cards with a fat rubber band. Pass in a different pocket. Even 10-15 bills folded is still very thin and light.
Season pass in little coat sleeve pass holding pocket just above the wrist. Drivers License, Credit/Debit Card, cash folded over license and card with a money clip in my ski pants pocket. As slim as can be. Agree that a few bills don't add anything to the bulkiness. Any coins from change historically left as part of a tip.
You may want to add your health insurance card to that, you never know...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Big Bob wrote: Dec 3rd, '22, 05:34
Low Rider wrote: Nov 20th, '22, 12:10
You may want to add your health insurance card to that, you never know...
I'd always have that in a secondary wallet that i would leave in my car (along with other cards etc) but not my person at all times.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

Having your medical card in your car doesn't help when you break your leg and ski patrol takes you to Ramshead clinic.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

There’s no real need to carry an insurance card. Providers are legally required to give care regardless of insurance status… especially in an emergency.

My insurance company doesn’t even issue physical cards any longer. I have a choice of printing my own or just using their app and presenting an electronic card.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

spanky wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 21:10 There’s no real need to carry an insurance card. Providers are legally required to give care regardless of insurance status… especially in an emergency.

My insurance company doesn’t even issue physical cards any longer. I have a choice of printing my own or just using their app and presenting an electronic card.
Right - they will figure out the paperwork afterwards anyway.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

rower wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 19:31 Having your medical card in your car doesn't help when you break your leg and ski patrol takes you to Ramshead clinic.
They can source all of that info electronically. As Spanky mentioned there is no real need to carry this at all times.

Do they process insurance at the Killington clinic now? My one experience bringing a friend in years ago was that they would give you all the paperwork so you could get reimbursed from your insurance but would not take it themselves. Don't remember the exact details though, but for a moment we considered skipping that and going down to Rutland so he would not have to deal with the paperwork.
Don't Killington Pico
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Feb 24th, '23, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

E O Eleven wrote: Dec 6th, '22, 09:32 2+2=5

This cashless trend really helps me and my math illiterate friends.

Thanks Killington.
You can thank Flashbang and Bob Marley for pushing common core math. Anything will equal 5. I like cash. I left some for Cookie tonight. Maybe uncle Sal may get some. But uncle Sam isn't getting Sh*T. Screw the cashless Killington system. I Just won't spend money on the mountain. Can't charge with my pass anymore. I guess Mike doesn't want my money. :barebutt: :seeya
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

rower wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 19:31 Having your medical card in your car doesn't help when you break your leg and ski patrol takes you to Ramshead clinic.
Ha, I had a bad experience with them, too. Wish I had opted for the Rutland ER but ski patrol said that was a 45 minute drive. Long story short, the clinic took my insurance info, was happy to treat me, and then later sent me thousands in bills. They refused to accept my insurance, who was willing to pay them, but not at the exorbitant rates they tried to charge. Something like $2000 for an x-ray, basic 5 min ortho consult, and crutches.

Kicker was, the ortho there said "Hmm, I'm not sure if you should get surgery, this might heal on its own." Got home a day later, visited a Boston orthopedic doctor, and he said, "yup, I'm fitting you in for surgery tomorrow."