Lack of expert terrain

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Lack of expert terrain

Post by allskiing1 »

I'm aware that there is basically no natural but the lack of expert terrain open is disappointing. It seems like the Canyon is not even on the radar. I'm not sure if it's covid, money, manpower or all the above but it's disappointing that it's January and not a single double black is open.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Lack of expert terrain

Post by skiadikt »

allskiing1 wrote: Jan 5th, '22, 15:40 I'm aware that there is basically no natural but the lack of expert terrain open is disappointing. It seems like the Canyon is not even on the radar. I'm not sure if it's covid, money, manpower or all the above but it's disappointing that it's January and not a single double black is open.

none of the above, it's weather. they've had SIX, count' em SIX thaws in the last month which has led to constant resurfacing instead of expansion. they've done an amazing job recovering from these thaws and providing an enjoyable skiing surface. seriously you don't think they'd rather be upping their trail count than making snow on the same trails. and if you really want a double black "experience", ski the superstar HW or preston's pitch right now.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Isn't the final pitch on great bear a double black? Killington doesn't control the weather.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Great Bear is a double black ….. and you guys are much nicer than my original response that I scrubbed🤪
allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

skiadikt wrote:
allskiing1 wrote: Jan 5th, '22, 15:40 I'm aware that there is basically no natural but the lack of expert terrain open is disappointing. It seems like the Canyon is not even on the radar. I'm not sure if it's covid, money, manpower or all the above but it's disappointing that it's January and not a single double black is open.

none of the above, it's weather. they've had SIX, count' em SIX thaws in the last month which has led to constant resurfacing instead of expansion. they've done an amazing job recovering from these thaws and providing an enjoyable skiing surface. seriously you don't think they'd rather be upping their trail count than making snow on the same trails. and if you really want a double black "experience", ski the superstar HW or preston's pitch right now.
That's the problem I've skied SS 50 times already. It seems to me that the roll out has been slow even when they had great Temps. Maybe its me but I haven been the only one saying it.

allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

MrsG wrote:Great Bear is a double black ….. and you guys are much nicer than my original response that I scrubbedImage
Actually Great Bear is a single black.

allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

They've done a good job keeping novice/intermediate terrain open. I give them a D for expert terrain

PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

How many times in the last month has there been a thaw /r*in/freeze cycle requiring resurfacing and rebuilding the thin base back? And who else in the east is doing any better?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Sunday River and Mount Snow are the only ones where I could make a case that they are doing better. Okemo still has only one trail on Jackson Gore.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

2 things:

- Rollout has not been as fast as usual due to staffing, it isn't just weather. But everyone is feeling it. Sunday River is doing the best out of anyone. They have a lot of fixed equipment and good staffing levels.

- Making snow on the double blacks thus far would be an utter complete waste of precious snowmaking hours and manpower. Not only would it be constantly unskiiable due to lack of top coats and thaw/freeze cycles, but there is only a limited amount of people would ski it anyway. There is so much critical terrain to get open first.
allskiing1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by allskiing1 »

newpylong1 wrote:2 things:

- Rollout has not been as fast as usual due to staffing, it isn't just weather. But everyone is feeling it. Sunday River is doing the best out of anyone. They have a lot of fixed equipment and good staffing levels.

- Making snow on the double blacks thus far would be an utter complete waste of precious snowmaking hours and manpower. Not only would it be constantly unskiiable due to lack of top coats and thaw/freeze cycles, but there is only a limited amount of people would ski it anyway. There is so much critical terrain to get open first.
That's the best explanation I've gotten yet.

Bumper

Post by 180 »

I disagree, double blacks need just a little base and then its up to us whether we can handle the conditions. Just look at what Dow is doing on nothing. Yes most of it would have melted, but no reason the top of Downdraft/ Cascade should not have been blown. It only takes one day of blowing.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

The Canyon trails should have been opened before they opened up the trails down to Bear.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yes, because you can fit a lot of cars up there by the base of the Canyon Quad.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

You want some fun challenging terrain meet me at Cannon tomorrow, will be my first Tram ride since 3/16/20 (stupid covid) and the Vista Way/Extension/Avalanche route would get your heart pumping!