Skiers vs Snowboarders?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Skiers vs Snowboarders?

Post by asher2789 »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 23rd, '21, 12:06 One could argue that all those skiers ruin powder runs for snowboarders by turning powder fields into packed moguls. Most snowboarders hate riding moguls, yet you don't hear them b!tching nearly as much as skiers do about snowboarders.
both turn powder into a mogul field, equipment doesnt matter.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 23rd, '21, 14:28 I go both ways. Skiing bumps is pretty fun. Skis also just make it way easier to get around a resort. No strapping on, the lifts are made for you, and no worries on flats. The whole experience is easier and more comfortable on your body. (referring to the KY lube for the strap) Even the falls are typically less harsh. But nothing beats surfing powder or ripping (probably a fart after the strap on) a deep carve on a snowboard, and that's worth all the lift hassles, pushing flats, bending over, strapping and unstrapping.
C'mon! Nobody is going to run with these softballs? So much can be done This post. Why do the Humps have to do the heavy lifting? This is one strange broad. Probably has hairy armpits.

Quote of the day: She's no lipstick lesbian, like me.

Token Boarder, out.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:29
and skiers are in a perma-wedge / not parallel making skidded turns. same effect, plowing snow off the slope. skiers just don't look as obvious but the damage is the same.
I can't say that I've seen too many instances of the Death Wedge ruining powder, at least up north anyways. Here at my local hill in PA. the lesser skilled skiers and snowboarders definitely scrap the snow off the steeper pitches with poor form. I know everyone needs to push themselves to get to the next level, but that's not what I'm seeing. Its a matter of the steep pitches being short and they figure if they fall its only a few hundred foot slid to something they can manage making better turns on. Its frustrating but without snowboarders and newbies, these little places wouldn't survive. Sure i'd love for them not to scrape of what precious little snow we get here but it is what it is.

As a life long skier I have to say I've always wondered what it would be like slaying some deep snow on a snowboard seems like the float could be pretty awesome if you were skilled enough to do it. Don't get me wrong on fat powder skis its an amazing feeling, but aren't those just snowboards attached to each of my feet? :cool :cool
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:32you should check out the step ons, theyre pretty nice if the boots fit you right.
This is what my ski friends all tell me after saying they are sick of waiting for me to strap in. I say they should start a gofundme page to pay for replacing my 3 sets of strap bindings plus boots.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 08:18
asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:32you should check out the step ons, theyre pretty nice if the boots fit you right.
This is what my ski friends all tell me after saying they are sick of waiting for me to strap in. I say they should start a gofundme page to pay for replacing my 3 sets of strap bindings plus boots.
I guess I don't have the patience of your friends, Monday morning I started the day skiing with two snowboarder friends who would have to sit in the snow to strap in, and I only did a few runs to start the day with them, and then a few other meeting-up runs as the day went on, but yesterday I skied with my snowboard friend who can step right in on the fly off the lift and we stayed together for the day. That was fun in the sun at Cannon yesterday (until the afternoon snowsquall), looking forward to spring skiing with the sun high in the sky!
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Waiting for someone to sit and strap in can be annoying. I just bend over while standing to strap in. It takes under a minute. The biggest delay-creator is when they don't tell me right off the bat which lift they're planning to end up at. Then I have to ask before I position myself to strap in, which usually takes longer than actually doing it. Honestly they waste more time shooting the sh!t at the top of the run than they do waiting for me, and I'm often the one waiting after I strap in.

I don't blame you for not waiting, though. I don't mind riding alone and sometimes prefer it, so if my friends didn't want to wait for me it wouldn't really bother me. I'm also out there to relax and enjoy the outdoors. I'm not in a rush to get as many runs as possible, so waiting a minute or two at the top doesn't really bother me, either.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

People skiing or riding on trails above their ability is the common denominator for damaging conditions. Last weekend, I saw a schmuck carrying his skis down The Throne while sliding down on his ass. I also saw a group of spors entering Julio. I'm sure that was a long run for the idiots.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Wait... what year is this? Did we go back in time during this pandemic?
Whens the Pearl Jam show?
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 17:51 Wait... what year is this? Did we go back in time during this pandemic?
Yah...... if only AZ were still here.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 07:25
asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:29
and skiers are in a perma-wedge / not parallel making skidded turns. same effect, plowing snow off the slope. skiers just don't look as obvious but the damage is the same.
I can't say that I've seen too many instances of the Death Wedge ruining powder, at least up north anyways. Here at my local hill in PA. the lesser skilled skiers and snowboarders definitely scrap the snow off the steeper pitches with poor form. I know everyone needs to push themselves to get to the next level, but that's not what I'm seeing. Its a matter of the steep pitches being short and they figure if they fall its only a few hundred foot slid to something they can manage making better turns on. Its frustrating but without snowboarders and newbies, these little places wouldn't survive. Sure i'd love for them not to scrape of what precious little snow we get here but it is what it is.

As a life long skier I have to say I've always wondered what it would be like slaying some deep snow on a snowboard seems like the float could be pretty awesome if you were skilled enough to do it. Don't get me wrong on fat powder skis its an amazing feeling, but aren't those just snowboards attached to each of my feet? :cool :cool
the death wedge in powder leads to massive bomb holes from skiers falling over! floating in the trees has been a dream this week. im pretty sure today i had an easier time in the trees than skiers do, with it being a lot heavier and with a slight crust in places. i can imagine those conditions grab skiers and turn them around.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 18:01
DMC wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 17:51 Wait... what year is this? Did we go back in time during this pandemic?
Yah...... if only AZ were still here.
That guy... right...
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 09:44 Waiting for someone to sit and strap in can be annoying. I just bend over while standing to strap in. It takes under a minute. The biggest delay-creator is when they don't tell me right off the bat which lift they're planning to end up at.
Now after thinking about it actually the biggest delay creator on Monday was my fault, I talk a lot, and usually the unloading of the lift ends a chairlift conversation...but my knowing they would have to stop/sit down we'd keep talking even after they were ready to go! I'm glad we had this post so in the future I'll limit doing that and maybe I won't be so much in a rush to get more runs in.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

DES wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 09:24
easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 09:44 Waiting for someone to sit and strap in can be annoying. I just bend over while standing to strap in. It takes under a minute. The biggest delay-creator is when they don't tell me right off the bat which lift they're planning to end up at.
Now after thinking about it actually the biggest delay creator on Monday was my fault, I talk a lot, and usually the unloading of the lift ends a chairlift conversation...but my knowing they would have to stop/sit down we'd keep talking even after they were ready to go! I'm glad we had this post so in the future I'll limit doing that and maybe I won't be so much in a rush to get more runs in.
Do you tell boring stories about Cannon?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Haha! Not when I'm at Cannon I suppose (actually, I had thought I was sending a PM to easy as I replied). You'll find out first hand if you get on a lift with me!
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek86KRZ-GOk
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage